Helpful ReplyNow I remember why I hate iLok

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
jonnewyork
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 263
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/13 02:46:26 (permalink)
What actually makes me angry is that Pace, in its hubris and arrogance doesn't just shut down a few plugins that use it, but because or their own shtty DRM software I can't access Sonar at all.

And after reinstalling and unzipping the manager, following the "wizard" instructions, restarting the computer, I still can't access Sonar. I get buried in an avalanche of error messages telling me basically that I can't access Sonar because of how fkd up their software is.

I've got 10 months of "Slate Everything" and after that I think I'll be able to swear off anything that needs a dongle, especially one that turns into garbage and takes my whole studio with it every few months.

Cheers,
 Jon

Win 7 Pro
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz, 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys
Lynx Aurora 16 ADC w/ AES16e card

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/14 19:01:53 (permalink)
TerraSin
I've said it many times: I like the idea behind iLok and security dongles, but I despise the unethical business practices of PACE. If your iLok ever goes down (or your hard drive crashes that you had licenses on), it becomes a battle to retrieve your licenses if you're not feeding them money for ZDT. It's a complete scam because they hit both the producers of the program and the consumer for money, then have the balls to demand more money from the consumer to regain access if something happens.

See VSL's policy with elicenser issues.  Lose it and you would have to pay 50% of your licenses to retrieve them.  I posted on this site more than once about Spectrasonic's attitude towards dongles.  Hard to believe that is coming from a developer. 
 If you are going into software development assume your work will get pirated.  All of those developers that create loops libraries get their stuff pirated all of the time. They keep moving on.  The same goes with Image-Line and Cakewalk.  They have managed to survive and probably make more friends than enemies with service after the sale.

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro 32GB Ram, Intel i7 4790, AsRock Z97 Pro 4,  NVidia 750ti, AP2496

Sonar Platinum, W7 Pro, 16GB Ram, AMD FX 6300, Gigabyte GA 970 -UD3 P, nVidia 9800GT, Guitar Port, Terratec EWX 2496
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/14 19:27:14 (permalink)
iLok=flimsy bicycle cable lock. Keeps honest people honest but not those who own big wire cutters.

My bike lock was a total waste of money!

iLock is just another excuse to charge money for something you don't need. 90%+ of the industry doesn't use it. There are other means to fight piracy. I have no iLok and no software that requires it. And never will!

It's bad enough companies like NI offer a "free" player, then make instrument makers require its $FULL$ version to play their instruments when it's totally unnecessary. They'd be miles ahead if they just sold the full version for $25-50 and scrap the free one altogether. Then again, they make so much on everything else they could offer the full version for free and still make money.
JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/15 23:52:19 (permalink)
Soens,

Wish I had your discipline to resist. I have caved in and purchased maybe four I-lok items against better judgement, one of which I don't have a reliable I-Crak backup for. A couple I authorized thru the "legal" channels and the hassle of subsequent error messages, failed starts, missing authorization jargon, messages to go buy another license if I want to use the plug had me just give it up and do what was not entirely legal, but moral in my book. No more PACE threats from those plugs. Replaced a motherboard a few months back and learned how forked up and insane the I-Lok system can be.

Just got an email from Soundtoys with the following quote:

"If you are running Soundtoys 5.0.1 or earlier and have not installed iLok License Manager version 3.1.6 or later, you must install a critical update to continue using your Soundtoys plug-ins."

Cool, I would comply but don't own anything Soundtoys exactly because of edicts like this. Don't know how I got on their junk mail list.

Good Lord bless the Reapers, Hornets, Valhallas and others out there that have written it into their business creed not to inflict harm on their end users. Have had a lot of crashes over time and dumped authorizations. These companies have allowed me to rebuild and recover without an internet connection and without begging. That higher direction gets the support of my credit card.

John

Zo
Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5036
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/16 13:37:34 (permalink)
i was on the same boat and state of mind , but for real i have zero issues and more important after having zillions of plugins , i've found ilok ones to be the fastest install when i need to build a new comp or some , just install and forget , how many times with other brands i need to install for each product acenter , serial , online deactivation ,reactivation on new system ect .....for real , it has bad and cons , i used to think only bads , but for now with the local licencing (no usb dongle needed) we're closer to other solutions ....

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
Softube Summit EQ
IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Vastman
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2508
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/16 14:37:25 (permalink)
Zo, u nailed it!

Sorry, all u whiners...poo pooing  piracy and it's impact on small developer's is just ignorant as is the perpetual whining about efforts to combat this. So many lazy self righteous douchebags!

We are blessed with magical tools. I'll go thru the small amount of effort needed/chosen by those who create them to enable them to survive. The level of entitlement spewed at all levels will be the death of our species... another case in point is this never ending whine...

Lots of real crap to be upset about... this? It is embarassing!

Dana
We make the future... Climate Change Music
VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
soens
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/17 12:59:58 (permalink)
I agree... iLok IS embarrassing!!!

BTW, ICYDK name calling is against the TOS and punishable by 50 lashings with 4 wet noodles followed by a 20 min. mud bath in the swamps of Louieland. (read the fine print. it's in there somewhere, I knows it.)
pathos
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 331
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/17 13:23:06 (permalink)
Vastman
Zo, u nailed it!

Sorry, all u whiners...poo pooing  piracy and it's impact on small developer's is just ignorant as is the perpetual whining about efforts to combat this. So many lazy self righteous douchebags!

We are blessed with magical tools. I'll go thru the small amount of effort needed/chosen by those who create them to enable them to survive. The level of entitlement spewed at all levels will be the death of our species... another case in point is this never ending whine...

Lots of real crap to be upset about... this? It is embarassing!

Spoken like a true professional
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/17 19:07:59 (permalink)
i cant believe this thread got resurrected.  i did eventually resolve my issue after a lot of frustration.  Still hate ilok and still think it is pissing upstream and impacts customers far more than it does pirates, but it's a silly thing to argue and call people names about. For hose who like iklok, go for it.  For those who don't there are plenty of alternatives that will get the job done.
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/17 21:37:06 (permalink)
I think you'll see a lot more of the iLok computer authorization scheme,
as opposed to the dongle.  iLok keeps their business, people don't get so
frustrated, and it's less expensive without having to buy the iLok

JohnKenn
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/18 00:15:25 (permalink)
Thanks Dub and Larry for the perspectives. If you can’t take I-Lok, there are viable alternatives, and that like it or not, I-Lok will prosper. Thanks to the vastman for pointing out that we are whiners and there are more important issues in the world.

Couple thoughts on this…sorry, not working so can do long tirades...

When the dialog degenerates into name calling over I-Lok, there are a couple problems involved dealing with a lack of perspective. This thread is like a Sunday school social compared with the outrages going on in other forums. The high horse stance, indignation, suffers from the same pathology whether you are here or on Gear Slutz.

The fact that there even are heated arguments points often to a lack of empathy between the two camps. There are those who have never had an issue with I-Lok. Somehow press a button and it is done. Migrate licenses no problem. What’s the issue with the whiners about a system that just works solid and without flaw. Then there are the ones like me that have had nothing but problems with the thing from day one. I don’t know why, it is just a forked up cause of continuous grief. As was said, there are more important issues. Among these, not having to spend hours and days trying to reclaim dumped licenses and fight to have another authorization added because you are really not trying to steal something.

A deeper lack of understanding fueling the spin into bad vibes involves not being able to separate out issues that are very close together. Those of software piracy and the counter measures of copyright protection.

There is a shallow mentation that assumes that if you are against I-Lok, you are against copyright protection, and maybe support piracy. At very least, you don’t care about the poor small developer trying to protect his product and support a family. This ain’t the case.

I’m confident that there is not a soul here who condones or engages in software piracy. There are a ton of recurring arguments why piracy is no big thing. None hold a sand grain of validity and I see no one arguing for any of it here. Have had the blessing to communicate with many devs over time. If one card comes up first in their assessment of the biggest threat to their survival, it is piracy. We only have to look back as far as Camel Audio and the death of Alchemy. Main reason for the demise. Piracy.

If you are against I-Lok, you are against software protection. Also ain’t the case.

Frustration is leveled not against the right of a developer to protect his investment or the concept of some manner of authorization. It is vented against a specific system that can be hell for some of us. For whatever reason, whatever the cause that singles you or your system as a target for grief. I-Lok can deliver perdition with style. The gift that keeps on giving.

Want to be objective about a problem with I-Lok, a warning I hope none of you run into. Not about good guys and bad guys. No name calling. A reality akin to running your system without a backup clone, but out of your control.

I had a computer meltdown, a newer Dell Inspiron. Motherboard was toast. Replaced the motherboard and the slow rebuild process began. Took over 2 weeks to just tread water again.

Authorizations were dumped like flies. Music and non music software reverting to the demo mode requiring authorization and sometimes reinstallation to reauthorize. Cakewalk stuff fried, all IK programs gone, AAS all gone, VB3, S-Gear, Sony video software. Programs out the yin yang no longer authorized. Noted that Kontakt Complete still retained its authorization though had to redirect it to a couple libraries.

In all cases, the reauthorization was about painless. Cakewalk and IK the least grief.

Then there was the I-Lok stuff…

All toasted as could be expected, but none would even come up in the demo mode. Fine variety of error messages from not being authorized on the computer to go buy another license if you want to use it.

Went to my I-Lok account again to look at the six computers registered. Three do not exist any more due to hardware failures and rebuilds. I-Lok policy (unless changed recently) cannot or will not remove a computer and the authorizations from your account in case of a catastrophic hardware failure. The dead computer has to be online to disable your authorizations. Otherwise it is your low life word alone that the computer no longer exists and your word carries no credibility with I-Lok.

Your only recourse is to go to each vendor and request new authorizations to be added to your account and sometimes having to argue about your motive. I cannot imagine what it would be like if you had 50 I-Lok plugs and your mobo went down.

Last observation and opinion…

In the meltdown, Peavey Revalver went south with everything else. I had ver 3 and ver 4 on the system. Ver 3 with online authorization dumped everything. Revalver 4 uses a dongle. It sailed thru the meltdown and required no online attempt to reactivate.

If you have a stable indoor studio that is not being moved around and a spare USB port on your computer that will not be disturbed, it may be wise to do everything with a physical dongle. Seems like this route is least destructive, painful in case of a serious meltdown. Like they say about the big earthquake out here, it’s not a matter of “if”, it’s a matter of “when”.

John
dubdisciple
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/18 01:18:00 (permalink)
i recently had another ilok nightmare  but I fortunately got a lot of help from the manufacturer who provided me with an alternative install after ilok   and  gobbler went back and forth assessing blame for a month.  I'm glad it works out for so many, but I avoid it like the plague unless i have no choice. 
dubdisciple
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/18 01:18:40 (permalink)
btw, companies making me deal with ilok AND gobbler will never be dealt with by me again lol

Zo
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/18 01:22:19 (permalink)
dubdisciple
btw, companies making me deal with ilok AND gobbler will never be dealt with by me again lol

Yep you right , i had an email from doundtoyz ralking about issues if we don t use last manager ...i didn t paid attention since all was good ...but then all the lexicon , softube ...went nutts so i updated ilok and it s all working like a charm , but that said i have astrange thing in gobbler and my softube thing , i have some plugins unde softuvbe raw , and sole under another names raw !! Strange and not clear who master this (gobbler , users or brands ) ....

Softube Summit EQ
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

DarinBad
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/18 02:18:43 (permalink)
I much prefer the iLok dongle over most challenge/response authorization schemes. The iLok challenge/response scheme seems to me to be the very worst out of those schemes. If your motherboard dies, you won't be getting any sympathy from Pace. You're just SOL with them. Same could be said if you lose your physical iLok. I still prefer the dongle. It allows me to move from one system to another without much fuss. I can build a completely new system, without much fuss. Some challenge/response schemes are far more draconian than a physical dongle. Trust me.

My favorite challenge/response scheme is one that puts me in control of my activations. Presonus does this with Studio One. I believe Toontrack does this also, as does Waves to some degree. I much prefer these schemes to any dongle based scheme.

In the end, it all depends on one's particular circumstance and habits, as to which scheme they get along with the best. Just my opinion.

AsRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU INTEL CORE I7 3770K
32 GB RAM
RME Fireface 800
Windows 10 Pro x64
backwoods
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2571
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/18 02:28:16 (permalink)
ilok has the ZDT insurance scheme now. about $30 a year and you have to sign in to your account once every three months to keep the thumbdrive active. so if your dongle gets lost stolen you are covered (still some ambiguity with individual companies if they will supply licences to replacement dongle)

DarinBad
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 461
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/18 02:40:53 (permalink)
Yeah. I've always found the whole ZDT thing to be ambiguous, at best. I know that it will allow you to use the software for a certain amount of time while you are sending a dongle in for replacement, but I don't know about a 'lost or stolen' dongle. Maybe Pace attach some sort of 'Time bomb' to the 'insured' dongle. Don't really know...

AsRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU INTEL CORE I7 3770K
32 GB RAM
RME Fireface 800
Windows 10 Pro x64
Beatmodo
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/18 17:29:50 (permalink)
I have had nothing but headaches with iLock/dongles. Def a deal breaker for me.
soens
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/18 20:35:48 (permalink)
JohnKenn
Your only recourse is to go to each vendor and request new authorizations to be added to your account and sometimes having to argue about your motive. I cannot imagine what it would be like if you had 50 I-Lok plugs and your mobo went down.

It's a personal choice to do this to oneself. I speak only for myself. It makes 0.00¢ to me. I choose not to.
JohnKenn
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/18 21:54:08 (permalink)
Exactly.

In my rebuild there were a lot of I-Lok programs. Stepped back from it looking at the road ahead with all the denials and lessons from past experiences.

Settled on one, Xpandi which is a great synth. I-lok fight itself was a dead end, no mercy for the little guy from their end. The Air Music devs were understanding and reset my license right beside the dead same computer. Figured I could deal with one Titanic the next time it happens.

Your perspective is clean. If you don't want to get stuck, don't roll around in thorns.

John

Zo
Re: Now I remember why I hate iLok 2017/08/18 23:05:53 (permalink)
By the way anybody using the ilok 3 ? if so is it really faster ? does it have a led or some to know it's ok ? is it consumming less power ?

Softube Summit EQ
EastWest Goshtwriter
Soundforge Pro 12

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1