sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2017/08/18 23:40:34 (permalink)

Wiring a light bulb in series with your amp speaker

Gotta admit this is a new one on me....interesting though

https://www.premierguitar...ticles/Light_Bulb_Gear

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!

4 Replies Related Threads

TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re: Wiring a light bulb in series with your amp speaker 2017/08/19 01:16:00 (permalink)
    Interesting article, would have been cool if he had thought about going into fluorescent bulbs or LED bulbs as well - and if those wouldn't work to explain why. Since LEDs are used in some distortion circuits might have been interesting.

I thought the Morley stuff was just tangential filler. I think it would have been more relevant to have gone into optical gear like the LA2A.  

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    jerrydf
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re: Wiring a light bulb in series with your amp speaker 2017/08/19 10:49:02 (permalink)
    The lamp he has here is the humble tungsten filament.  The higher the rated wattage of the lamp, the lower the resistance (so the filament carries more current and burns brighter). Fluorescents and LEDs are completely different. Fluorescents are gas discharge and need a striking voltage (starter) to initiate the illumination. This is unlikely to happen with speaker signals. LEDs are one-way devices - they won't support AC signals, like the output of the amp.  Diodes (non-light-emitting) are used in effects units because they allow the signal to drive to full conduction in one direction of current flow, and thereby saturate (peak) the signal on that direction of the AC.  In FX units there's likely be another diode the opposite way round to allow the other half of the signal to saturate .. and so produce the desired distortion.

The experiments here are interesting.  Like the warning box says - if you're using amps with valve output stages with transformer coupling, beware the increased impedance introduced by the lamp.  This could blow that expensive transformer. Transistor outputs won't be affected.

He mentions supply lag*.  This is where the demands of the amp circuit require more power as the signal levels increase. With a basic non-regulated supply this will cause the power supply unit to drop a few volts, causing clipping to occur earlier than otherwise expected. So he may want to repeat the experiments by putting the lamp in the power supply from the PSU to the main amp. I haven't thought the details of that through yet, but it may be worth a try.

jdf

*Edit - supply sag - not lag 
    post edited by jerrydf - 2017/08/19 14:45:52

i5 6500 3.2GHz; 16GB; Win10 on SSD1; recording and samples on SSD2;  + 3 other HDDs; 2 monitors in landscape;  back with CbB and also Cubase 10 Pro,  Komplete 11, Steinberg UR22.
    Instruments: Various fretboards and amplifiers.
    Listen to ... Cosmic Two-Step (2017)
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re: Wiring a light bulb in series with your amp speaker 2017/08/19 13:34:04 (permalink)
    after you get done with lightbulbs try a toaster element!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    ampfixer
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5508
    Re: Wiring a light bulb in series with your amp speaker 2017/08/19 17:46:17 (permalink)
    jerrydf
    The lamp he has here is the humble tungsten filament.  The higher the rated wattage of the lamp, the lower the resistance (so the filament carries more current and burns brighter). Fluorescents and LEDs are completely different. Fluorescents are gas discharge and need a striking voltage (starter) to initiate the illumination. This is unlikely to happen with speaker signals. LEDs are one-way devices - they won't support AC signals, like the output of the amp.  Diodes (non-light-emitting) are used in effects units because they allow the signal to drive to full conduction in one direction of current flow, and thereby saturate (peak) the signal on that direction of the AC.  In FX units there's likely be another diode the opposite way round to allow the other half of the signal to saturate .. and so produce the desired distortion.

The experiments here are interesting.  Like the warning box says - if you're using amps with valve output stages with transformer coupling, beware the increased impedance introduced by the lamp.  This could blow that expensive transformer. Transistor outputs won't be affected.

He mentions supply lag*.  This is where the demands of the amp circuit require more power as the signal levels increase. With a basic non-regulated supply this will cause the power supply unit to drop a few volts, causing clipping to occur earlier than otherwise expected. So he may want to repeat the experiments by putting the lamp in the power supply from the PSU to the main amp. I haven't thought the details of that through yet, but it may be worth a try.

jdf

*Edit - supply sag - not lag 

Excellent explanation. Well done.

Regards, John 
     I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
    WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1