Sonarworks Calibration

Author
fret_man
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 312
2017/08/21 17:48:54 (permalink)

Sonarworks Calibration

I bought their Systemwide Correction back when it was on sale and they subsequently offered me a deal on their reference mic. Thought it was a good deal because it came with it's own calibration file. It's on-axis frequency response is shown below. It also came with 30deg off-axis data but that file appears to be encrypted, so I can't show that.

This can be loaded into REW or your analyzer of choice to get the frequency response of your room/monitors.
post edited by fret_man - 2017/09/01 17:46:12

2 Replies Related Threads

fret_man
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 312
    Re: Sonarworks Calibration 2017/09/06 12:52:39 (permalink)
    Maybe this was obvious to others and I just missed it, but Systemwide only comes with a limited time demo of their speaker calibration software. Not sure of their headphone calibration since it appears all the models are there. So I'm guessing it DOES come with the headphone calibration (but I could be wrong). So, in essence, all Systemwide provides is the Windows system drivers and headphone calibration files. You have a limited time to calibrate your room/speakers before the demo runs out then you're stuck with whatever calibration files you've made. Systemwide will use those. If you remodel your room or move things around and need to recalibrate then you'll also need to purchase their speaker calibration software.
    Hatstand
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 597
    Re: Sonarworks Calibration 2017/09/06 14:28:38 (permalink)
    You are correct in your assumption. If you buy the calibration mic you get a trial of the reference software to calibrate your room which lasts about 15 days from memory. Once the demo period is over you are left with the profiles you saved.  These can be used in the vst or in systemwide. If you subsequently change the room and the profile is no longer accurate, you would need to buy the full licence for the reference software or wait for a deal. 
    The headphone reference software is slightly different to the speaker software in that you have a load of calibration files that come with the software which could subsequently be used in systemwide if you have one of the models that has a profile.  Of course if you don't have either a calibrated mic or headphones with a profile, systemwide still works in that you can use the simulations to change the sound (from memory).
    The beauty of systemwide for those who have useful calibration profiles is that you can apply correction to streaming sources so that they can take advantage of your calibrated room or headphones. Before that you could only apply profiles to daw output via the reference vst plugin.

Sonar Platinum - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - AMD FX 8150 processor - 16Gb RAM - 27" Monitor (it's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1