So what does crash Sonar?? ( Might be solved! )

Author
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
2017/08/28 15:07:10 (permalink)

So what does crash Sonar?? ( Might be solved! )

I was working on a 14 song album all week and logged a lot of Sonar time over this weekend :) 

First the first time in years I was experiencing Crashes :(

Edit Monday to change title & add the event log here too: 
 Looking in event log   all of them say SONARPLT.EXE  and this is also the module fault only 2 said otherwise. 
Aug 11 1:31PM 
Aug 22 8:39PM 
Aug 25 8:50 -- this might be it!!   module fault  VCRUNTIME140.dll   main app was still Sonar
      11:59 PM 
Aug 26 1:47 PM
            3:28PM   Module fault Adictivedrums.dll 
            6:01 PM 
Aug 27  2:59PM
            4:27 PM  

I never lost anything as I always save as I roll along and Sonar successfully created recovery copies which I had to use twice.  

The very first time I had just inserted Dim Pro and when I clicked on the GUI to select a patch I got the warning. 
Then twice as I was just closing a project. 
Once when I came back after lunch and touched the mouse note_ all sleep settings are off other than monitor 1 hour  
I also opened Melodyne to fix a little flat note on the guitar and Sonar immediately crashed twice in a row. 

The reason for the title is I have used Melodyne to convert all my audio bass tracks to MIDI so every project has Melodyne running,  unless its gone once the conversion takes place. 

I saved most of the crash dumps and I guess I need to submit them somehow. My DAW is off line so they don't go automatically. 
Tonight I will enable the network adapter and figure out how to submit them. I will also just leave it on line until this is solved.

So I spent an hour trying to see what had changed to make my DAW do this all of a sudden. 
Windows just updated to Creator a week or so ago and I also  updated Splat. 
At first Latency Monitor showed marginally bad @ 1,000 u. It shows Windows USB hub as most active so I unplugged everything other than my wireless mouse/ keyboard and it still showed same results. 
I opened the bios and disabled all the power saving stuff ( again! why does this come back? ) 
Then I stumbled around all the windows settings and found nothing interesting but disabled various background apps.. I even uninstalled a few apps I don't need like Bonjour. 
Latency Monitor now stays at 300 u for hours on end even with Sonar running so it's not DPLAT, . But Sonar continues to crash about once every 3-4 hours. 
post edited by Cactus Music - 2017/08/29 19:11:22

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

22 Replies Related Threads

MacFurse
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 324
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/28 15:35:25 (permalink)
    Johnny I'm curious what sample rate your projects are? The reason I ask is because I've started a new album after a 3 months break to get other stuff done, and have been suffering crashes like yours. I've added a few new tricks to my arsenal. Izotope Ozone and Neutron, and a few new wave plugs like the TG12345 channel strip, (just awesome), but I'm suffering major crashes every time I either try to change presets, or parameters, crashes when I close projects etc. The only real change I have made for this current project is deciding on 48k/24bit, away from my usual 41k/16 I had used the last few years. This week I've started all over creating new projects back on 41k/24, dragging over what I can, exporting out and in, and re-tracking everything else. It's been a huge effort and a lot of time, but I'm back to no crashes, so far....  I'm thinking it's my focusrite, or something I either don't understand, or I'm doing wrong.....

I've been using Melodyne a lot, but I'm still in the old habit of one clip, bounce, at a time, not forgetting the 2 years or so of mayhem, and this is still working well for me. It's not crashing from Melodyne. For me anyway.

Hope you get it sorted. It's hard to maintain focus when you have to keep stopping chasing problems.

Platinum. i7 4771 3.5ghz. ECU H87 mobo with 3 monitor support. 16gb Ripjaws 1600mhz. Focusrite 18i20. 2 x 250gb Samsung EVO SSD's OP/Programs. 2x1TB Seagate Baracuda sata3 data drives. 200gb sata2 bootable drive for online and downloading only. Seagate 2tb USB 3.0 backup drive.  2x27in monitors. Rode K2 valve mic. Sontronics STC-1 pair. Studio Projects B1 condenser. SM58B. SM57B. Presonus Eureka Preamp.
    Cactus Music
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/28 16:19:07 (permalink)
    Hi Dave.. I have to stay at 44.1 because my Yamaha 01v only talks that language. So sorry that is not my issue. 
    Funny 48 didn't work for you. I originally used 48 back in  my M Audio 8.5 days. But when I moved my studio back home I needed the 01v so have been using 44.1 for years now. Just fine for my work as it's not going to end up on some audiophiles system :) 
    Yes when I use Melodyne its mostly for the audio to midi conversions. I only used it for pitch correction on one project and that was about a 2 second clip. 

I may be forced to roll back to May which was my last update. Trouble is you really need to be putting in hours for this to happen. In the past I would only have a few hours at night to work.  

Just a note for others who may have insight into problem VST's
    All the projects use more or less the same stuff 
    Dim Pro  Full Acoustic bass all songs 
    Session Drummer with my own sampled brush snare on a few songs.   
    AD 2 on the rest
    Air Mini Grand Piano on a lot of songs 
    Mr Tramp ( 32 bit) on a few.
    TTS-1 a few songs for percussion and misc.

Audio=  2  guitar tracks ( mike and DI )  using Effects send to reverb. Automated Volume. pan and effects.
    one vocal track with Sonitus compressor some volume automation. 

LP 64 Multi band on MAster, Lexicon reverb, some songs Sontinus Delay. 

Pretty basic songs as I want them to represent what I sound like live so basically a backing track I use live and my guitar and vocals.    

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

MacFurse
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 324
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/28 16:44:52 (permalink)
    Thanks Johhny. I would expect most people are successfully using 48k, but it did seem to be my problem, for now, and I'm really not sure why. If your getting 3 hours out of multiple tracks loaded with Melodyne, it's probably not the issue causing the crashes, though, having said that, what would ? Hopefully someone might have an idea. My crashes were instant, having to restart every time I touched something. I know when I did my last full album, sitting up sometimes for 24hours at a time, I would get crashes after long periods. I always figured it was because I had saved things too many times, or created too many files or something, and found cleaning up temp files, recycle bin etc, and a restart, would get me going again for another session. I guess a 3 hour crash could be considered a forced fatigue and coffee break

Platinum. i7 4771 3.5ghz. ECU H87 mobo with 3 monitor support. 16gb Ripjaws 1600mhz. Focusrite 18i20. 2 x 250gb Samsung EVO SSD's OP/Programs. 2x1TB Seagate Baracuda sata3 data drives. 200gb sata2 bootable drive for online and downloading only. Seagate 2tb USB 3.0 backup drive.  2x27in monitors. Rode K2 valve mic. Sontronics STC-1 pair. Studio Projects B1 condenser. SM58B. SM57B. Presonus Eureka Preamp.
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/28 17:01:33 (permalink)
    FWIW Melodyne has NEVER crashed Platinum for me at 48K. 
    Resonant Serpent
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/28 17:08:28 (permalink)
    I went through a lot of bumps and bruises with Sonar over the past few months. Did a complete cleaning and a full reinstall, and it's night vs. day now. Runs smoothly without a hiccup on exactly the same computer and configuration. Melodyne was an absolute mess. Now it runs great. 

I posted about it here :

http://forum.cakewalk.com...02-Error-m3645148.aspx

A deep chesty bawl echoes from rimrock to rimrock, rolls down the mountain, and fades into the far blackness of the night. It is an outburst of wild defiant sorrow, and of contempt for all the adversities of the world. - Aldo Leopold
    bitman
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4105
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/28 17:39:50 (permalink)
    No, not like that initial 4.0 debacle.
    It's safe now (and for now)
    Cactus Music
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/28 17:47:06 (permalink)
    Thanks Dale, I see that a possible fix might be what you have done and instead of a rollback  a complete clean install is in order. What I might do is order a new SSD drive. as this system is now over 4 years old and might be going weird on me ,, I know it shouldn't matter, but I'm thinking this only has happened after the last Windows update. 
    I had to re install my iLok software to use my Air products. Have no clue why but at least the software told me this and even gave me the link so it was an easy process,, but these things cut into my time and have no logical reason to happen other than W10 updates seem to re set things to zero.  

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Cactus Music
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/28 20:39:33 (permalink)
    Ok, I just read the "your DAW is not a Game"  thread posted above. 
    I might be correct in thinking the Creative update has screwed things up.. I see a few things happened to people I haven't check,, Like I'm not sure if this gaming mode is on or off as I was unaware it is a default. It's probably on! 
    I just check this laptop I'm using at works and yep... it was on.. 
    I also forgot to check device manager to see if it has re enabled my HDMI audio. 
    Seems the update re sets to defaults. 
    I will check tonight when I get home. 
    I hope it's that simple, I've ruled out Melodyne thanks to those who vouched for it's stability. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Cactus Music
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/29 03:42:37 (permalink)
    So this is totally not Windows Update I see I'm still on 1607? It definitely said it was updating a few weeks ago after I left it running all day on line.  I guess it only did certain updates. 
    First thing I noticed was I went to disable the Gaming mode and there was no Gaming icon on the Windows Settings page. 
    So I went looking in event log   all of them say SONARPLT.EXE  and this is also the module fault.  only 2 noted below said otherwise. 
    Aug 11 1:31PM 
    Aug 22 8:39PM 
    Aug 25 8:50 -- this one is weird- module fault  VCRUNTIME140.dll  but main fault was still Sonar
          11:59 PM 
    Aug 26 1:47 PM
                3:28PM   Module fault Adictivedrums.dll 
                6:01 PM 
    Aug 27  2:59PM
                4:27 PM  

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Cactus Music
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/29 03:52:30 (permalink)
    OK I just Googled VCRUNTIME140.DLL I asked "What is it?"  Didn't find an answer but it seems Software installs it and it is somehow associated with C++ 
    So this is  C++ issue I'm guessing.  
    I will re install Sonar. I might just wait for the next release as possibly this one is the problem child. 
    I will try a Roll back first? Hmm.. ideas anyone.. 
    I'm first going to get some work done and deal with it later. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

eric_peterson
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/29 04:55:16 (permalink)
    It's just a C runtime library.
    mudgel
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/29 05:50:49 (permalink)
    Cactus Music
    Hi Dave.. I have to stay at 44.1 because my Yamaha 01v only talks that language. So sorry that is not my issue. 
    Funny 48 didn't work for you. I originally used 48 back in  my M Audio 8.5 days. But when I moved my studio back home I needed the 01v so have been using 44.1 for years now. Just fine for my work as it's not going to end up on some audiophiles system :) 
    Yes when I use Melodyne its mostly for the audio to midi conversions. I only used it for pitch correction on one project and that was about a 2 second clip. 

I may be forced to roll back to May which was my last update. Trouble is you really need to be putting in hours for this to happen. In the past I would only have a few hours at night to work.  

Just a note for others who may have insight into problem VST's
    All the projects use more or less the same stuff 
    Dim Pro  Full Acoustic bass all songs 
    Session Drummer with my own sampled brush snare on a few songs.   
    AD 2 on the rest
    Air Mini Grand Piano on a lot of songs 
    Mr Tramp ( 32 bit) on a few.
    TTS-1 a few songs for percussion and misc.

Audio=  2  guitar tracks ( mike and DI )  using Effects send to reverb. Automated Volume. pan and effects.
    one vocal track with Sonitus compressor some volume automation. 

LP 64 Multi band on MAster, Lexicon reverb, some songs Sontinus Delay. 

Pretty basic songs as I want them to represent what I sound like live so basically a backing track I use live and my guitar and vocals.    I

Notice you are using a 32bit plugin. I'd look there before anything else.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Cactus Music
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/29 14:40:24 (permalink)
    I would normally agree but I've been using Mr Tramp in 64 bit since 8.5. It's the only 32 bit VST I use and never seems to cause a problem before. Its only on 3 of the 14 projects and the crashes have happened randomly, I know for sure it's not the same project and the 2 that have the recovery files didn't use Mr Tramp. 

We I worked for 3 hours last night without a crash. I left the computer on line so if it did the report would be submitted. 
    One weird thing was my computer completely shut down on me,  Sonar wasn't open I was reading the Event logs,   and then when it re booted it told me I had to re set my BIOS to the defaults. I had disabled the CPU throttling that Latency Monitor always recommends. So much for that. The default is AUTO so oh well. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/29 15:22:41 (permalink)
    I started getting crashes and unexplained problems right before my C Drive failed.  It could be a sign that your hard drive is going.

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/29 15:33:47 (permalink)
    The VC runtime is the runtime library for C++ objects. An unhandled exception (unexpected data) can cause the VC to be reported as the faulting module, but the underlying culprit is whatever was using that library. That could be Sonar, or a plugin, or even your audio interface console. To really determine the true source of any error, you must be able walk the stack trace in the debug data. Unfortunately, most of us do not have the object definitions installed on our local PC's so, while we can narrow down the problem, only Cakewalk can read the full stack trace and identify what actually happened.

It would be awesome if Cakewalk had a debug reader application that we could use locally.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    joakes
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 905
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/29 15:42:44 (permalink)
    Run a virus check, Malwarebytes for example.

You may have picked up summat nasty.

Cheers,
    Jerry

Built by yours truely : I7-2600@3.4GHz, Asus P67Z68, W10x64 Creator Edition, 32GB RAM, 3 HD's, nVidia 760 GT, Focusrite 18i20 2,d Gen + Ti FW, Oxygen 61 iv Gen, and Edirol SD-20 (yes it works), CbB, Teles, Strats, LP's, Epi Riviera, etc
    Cactus Music
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/29 16:21:10 (permalink)
    Lynn- You no that was something I mentioned earlier, my Hard drive is a first generation SSD Samsung and I remember they had a utility you had to run because there were issues with the storage becoming corrupted after so many cycles of read/write. It was defiantly on my suspect list. SSD have come a long way. I don't use the C drive for storage because it's only a 128 another reason to upgrade. It just a major hassle to swap drives and re install. In this case I would not wish to do an image as it's 4 years of crap on there. 

Thanks Dan I was hoping someone might understand the C++ issues. Sonar saved the crash dumps I just need to find the time to submit them. 

Jerry- my DAW is offline and never, ever used for any internet other than updating Sonar. I have plenty of other computers for that. I am a huge fan of my DAW is a studio hardware device,, and the internet is the very last thing needed to make that run properly. I didn't even use CCC for the first 2 years, I did offline activation. If I have a virus it came from Cakewalk, Celemony or XLN. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

davec69
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 178
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/29 17:24:44 (permalink)
    FWIW, For the last few years, I've recorded all my projects at 96k, and I rarely have crashes in Sonar, when working on a project.  

When Sonar does crash, I usually find that it it related to a rogue VST, VSTi plugin, or a 32bit plugin has sneaked into my project (I've removed nearly all 32 bit plugins).  

Other culprits include my Roland interface driver.  I also keep an eye out for background tasks, running.  Things like updates, virus scanners, notifications, ect.

Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop
    Intel i7-4700MQ
    16GB RAM
    2 x 1TB Hybrid Drives
    Windows 10
    Sonar Platinum (Last Update)
    Cakewalk Bandlab (Latest Update)
    Roland Quad Capture (Bios 1.04 / 1.52 drivers)

Cactus Music
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/29 19:10:14 (permalink)
    Thanks Dave, but as I said 2 of the projects that crashed did not have 32 bit plug ins. 
    I'm seriously now thinking the SSD drive which I checks and it's at 80% as well> I forgot to clean out my CCC data folder after the last update but even then I think I'll just upgrade as a matter of this is my normal pattern. I always update my Hard drives every few years and put the old ones on the shelf,,, I even have my original 10 GB drive from my first PC! I'll turn the 128 GD drive into a back up's drive. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

bobguitkillerleft
    • Total Posts : 944
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/30 14:40:16 (permalink)
    With Windows 7 64bit I can only run without crashes,lost projects,if I use an old NI trick for Traktor I think,a lot has to do with my machine being a refurb(by the factory) w540 with a pretty gutsy i7-4900MQ.

The only having 5 services running has worked a treat,but I do wonder if it does damage,probably should have started a new thread,so I hope putting this here is ok Cactus?

*How to boot Windows 7 with the minimum required processes for running Traktor*:
    Launch the System Configuration utility by clicking Start -> typing "msconfig" and pressing Enter
    On the Services tab, make sure that Hide all Microsoft services is NOT checked, then click Disable All. The list will become longer so it's a good idea to click Service above the first column so it sorts alphabetically.
    Now re-enable only the 5 required services, which are:

Multimedia Class Scheduler
    NIHardwareService
    Power
    Windows Audio
    Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
    On the Startup tab, enable the Disable All option and then click OK.
    When prompted click Restart to reboot your computer. ENJOY!

How to resume normal functionality of your computer:
    Relaunch the System Configuration utility by clicking Start -> typing "msconfig" and pressing Enter.
    Stay on the General tab and enable the Normal startup option then click OK and Reboot.

https://soundcloud.com/rks26https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitmen Lenovo W540 Factoryrefurb SONAR PLATINUM,Ozone 7 N.I. KA6 Komplete 9 SSD4 Platinum Epi L/H LP Custom Headstock broken twice and fixed.Gibson L/H Les Paul 2010 Wine Red Studio stupid Right Hand Vol.Tone for Left Hand?LH84Ibanez RS135 gen.FloydRose JB Marshall 100w 2203 4x25w Celestion Green backs
    "You are what you is"-Frank Zappa "But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high"-Jimi Hendrix    
    Cactus Music
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/08/30 23:16:36 (permalink)
    Well all that has changed hugely with Windows 10 so that's not an option. W10 is very persnickety about tampering and that said it has crossed my mind to actually ditch W10 if I buy a new hard drive and return to sanity and W7. 

I would just shelve my C drive on ice so I can always put things back. The computer was originally W8.1 and that was fine by me. I still have the DVD with W8 so that's another possibility. 

Last night I had one more crash , Mr Tramp was in that project,, but I had also worked for 2 hours on another project with Mr Tramp that did not crash, so I will rule out that on 32 bit VST as being suspect. 
    So this time I was on line and followed the prompts to send in the report to Cakewalk, It got to the submitting data page and a wheel spun around for 5 minutes and finally said there was a server error. Oh well. I'll keep it on line until this is resolved but I think I'll just go ahead and buy a new SSD drive and redo everything. Time to clean house. But first I will finish the album. Just in the listen and tweaking stage,,CD in the truck and a notepad. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

bobguitkillerleft
    • Total Posts : 944
    Re: Does Melodyne still crash Sonar? 2017/09/04 21:23:38 (permalink)
    Apparently "msconfig" is in Windows 10-it shows how to access here:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6UKSTek81E,though I'm in no hurry to upgrade,I'd just like to reiterate I get way way better performance with the Native Instruments "5 Services only"( though I do use a NI KA 6 interface-which may be necessary,I'm not sure?

I just know that when I return this Lenovo w540 to stock for the internet,if I even try to run SONAR Platinum I get multiple fatal errors,and mega frustratingly have had hours and hours of *lost work*(main reason why my soundcloud has not much new for a while :( ),also with 'Throttle Stop by Obsidian,I can run my supposedly locked i7-4900MQ at 4.1Ghz instead of the stock Turbo limit of 3.8 Ghz(4.1 is apparently as high as one should go)
    RK

https://soundcloud.com/rks26https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitmen Lenovo W540 Factoryrefurb SONAR PLATINUM,Ozone 7 N.I. KA6 Komplete 9 SSD4 Platinum Epi L/H LP Custom Headstock broken twice and fixed.Gibson L/H Les Paul 2010 Wine Red Studio stupid Right Hand Vol.Tone for Left Hand?LH84Ibanez RS135 gen.FloydRose JB Marshall 100w 2203 4x25w Celestion Green backs
    "You are what you is"-Frank Zappa "But I'm gonna wave my freak flag high"-Jimi Hendrix    
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1