Transform Tool confusion

Author
jkoseattle
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 556
2017/09/04 15:42:59 (permalink)

Transform Tool confusion

I love the Transform Tool. What a useful feature! It's saving me tons of time and allows me to be a lot more exact with my note velocities in PRV. Great job, Sonar people!

However, the TT does have one very non-intuitive "feature" to it. If I'm in PRV and drag to select a subset of the notes in a passage (say for example, I want the melody line in a piano part to be louder than the rest of the piano part), I will select the subset, but when I use the TT to change the velocity of it, it actually changes the velocity on all notes within the left-right boundaries of the transform tool box. If I have multiple tracks disaplyed in PRV, I can safely select notes in just one track and alter them with the TT, but I can't do that with a subset of notes within a single track.

I'm sure the devs working on this feature wre very aware of this shortcoming, and elected to not do the extra engineering to fix that at the time, but I'm pointing it out here because here's one customer wo definitely notices that and finds it pretty frustrating whenever I am working in a polyphonic track, such as a piano. Yes, there are ways around it, but they're wonky.

While I'm on the topic, here are a couple other features I'd love in TT:
1) Allow for "Slow curve" and "Fast curve" when creating a crescendo/decrescendo by dragging a corner handle in a TT selection box.
2) Ability to add "nodes" to the TT selection box, so that I can create crescendos and diminuendos within the passage
3) Add a handle halfway down the right border of the box -- when this handle is dragged, it changes the duration of all the notes in the selection

Sonar Version: Platinum  
Audio Interface: M-Audio Delta
Computer: Dell i5 3.1 GHz, 12Gb RAM, Windows 10 64-bit
Soft Synths: EastWest PLAY Symphonic Orchestra
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio 2x2 MidiSport Anniv Edition
Settings: 16-Bit, Sample Rate 44.1k, ASIO Buffer Size 128-1024, Record/Playback I/O Buffers play:256k, rec: 64k, Total Round Trip Latency 48 ms  
Check out my work here

2 Replies Related Threads

Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: Transform Tool confusion 2017/09/04 22:14:22 (permalink)
    Aren't you able to just drag those velocity bars up not using the TT?

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    jkoseattle
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 556
    Re: Transform Tool confusion 2017/09/11 14:19:13 (permalink)
    Yes, but that only allows for a purely linear change. I can't change them by percentage, create crescendos, etc.

Sonar Version: Platinum  
    Audio Interface: M-Audio Delta
    Computer: Dell i5 3.1 GHz, 12Gb RAM, Windows 10 64-bit
    Soft Synths: EastWest PLAY Symphonic Orchestra
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio 2x2 MidiSport Anniv Edition
    Settings: 16-Bit, Sample Rate 44.1k, ASIO Buffer Size 128-1024, Record/Playback I/O Buffers play:256k, rec: 64k, Total Round Trip Latency 48 ms  
    Check out my work here
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1