Helpful ReplyReturn of future features info

Author
ronald.57
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2017/09/06 19:20:52 (permalink)

Return of future features info

Hi,

I'm very happy with the monthly updates. A year ago you could see which new features were in development. I would love to see more information on upcoming features returning.

Thank you

Ronald 

Sonar Platinum (64 bit) , X3E Producer (64 bit),Win 10 (64 bit), Roland Octa Capture, Asus Intel Core i7 CPU 3.4 Ghz / 8 Gb
THambrecht
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 867
Re: Return of future features info 2017/09/06 21:27:02 (permalink)
I would also love to see this information which new features were in development.
But I see that this would set Cakewalk under pressure. Some new features need a long time for developement and testing. "Ripple edit" was announced for nearly a year, and a lot of people have waited and asked for it.
I also would love to see their to-do list - for example are they working in the background for varispeed?

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
35mm
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1105
Re: Return of future features info 2017/09/06 23:35:59 (permalink)
The upcoming features also showed the same upcoming features each month as they were a work in progress and really had nothing to do with chronological order. I suspect a valid reason why Cakewalk did away with the list is that it broadcast their ideas to all their opponents in the industry which is not a good idea. I think they have done the right thing by doing away with it and I look forward to the monthly surprises!

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
Brian Walton
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 584
Re: Return of future features info 2017/09/06 23:48:24 (permalink)
THambrecht
I would also love to see this information which new features were in development.
But I see that this would set Cakewalk under pressure. Some new features need a long time for developement and testing. "Ripple edit" was announced for nearly a year, and a lot of people have waited and asked for it.
I also would love to see their to-do list - for example are they working in the background for varispeed?

They should feel some pressure since the current model asks people to pay monthly for unfortold updates.  

I'd like to see what they are planning in the pipe to, even though I'm a lifer.  Interesting to get excited about specifics as well as a glimpse into the thought process of making the product better and better.
THambrecht
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 867
Re: Return of future features info 2017/09/07 10:50:58 (permalink)
At the moment there is no company that informs the user about upcoming features.
I rent - and pay monthly or yearly - as well all Adobe products, accounting software, Steven Slate (Everything bundle), East West library, Task-Software ... even Roland Cloud
Although I pay monthly or yearly, no one says what is coming up next time.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
Tim Flannagin
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 132
Re: Return of future features info 2017/09/07 11:43:57 (permalink)
THambrecht
At the moment there is no company that informs the user about upcoming features.
I rent - and pay monthly or yearly - as well all Adobe products, accounting software, Steven Slate (Everything bundle), East West library, Task-Software ... even Roland Cloud
Although I pay monthly or yearly, no one says what is coming up next time.

Agreed. It's fun to know what's coming up from a user / owner perspective, but I agree that it probably doesn't make good sense from a business perspective.

Dell Precision T5400, 2 Xeon E5420 CPUs, 32 GB ram, 1 X 750 GB HDD, 2 X 1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX750 , M-Audio 1010LT, Roland GR-55, Novation SL MKII 49 , Arturia MiniLab, Arturia Spark Creative Drum Controller, '77 Gibson Les Paul Artistan, Epiphone Les Paul Studio w/ GK-3, Fender Stratocaster, Dean Exotica Acoustic, Cakewalk Sonar Platinum Lifetime, Arturia  Synths galore!, Cakewalk Synths galore!, M-Audio BX-5a monitors, a couple of cheap mikes, a dubious quality desk, several shady characters hanging in the studio, etc....
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Return of future features info 2017/09/07 14:29:13 (permalink)
It is only my personal opinion but....

- After Cakewalk announced "Theme editor" was being worked, People kept complaining and hounding Cakewalk for status updates on when it was coming.

- After the Cakewalk announced "Sonar for MAC" was being worked, People kept complaining and hounding Cakewalk for status updates on when it was coming.

- After Cakewalk announced "Ripple editing" was being worked on, People kept complaining and hounding Cakewalk for status updates on when it was coming.

Now I know most of us here on this thread (including the OP) were not the ones hounding and complaining
but let me ask you a question.. and try to be honest, Do you blame them for not wanting to share up coming features with its user base ? Personally, I don't blame them at all.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

FCCfirstclass
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 969
Re: Return of future features info 2017/09/07 14:36:13 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2017/09/07 15:24:18
chuckebaby
It is only my personal opinion but....

- After Cakewalk announced "Theme editor" was being worked, People kept complaining and hounding Cakewalk for status updates on when it was coming.

- After the Cakewalk announced "Sonar for MAC" was being worked, People kept complaining and hounding Cakewalk for status updates on when it was coming.

- After Cakewalk announced "Ripple editing" was being worked on, People kept complaining and hounding Cakewalk for status updates on when it was coming.

Now I know most of us here on this thread (including the OP) were not the ones hounding and complaining
but let me ask you a question.. and try to be honest, Do you blame them for not wanting to share up coming features with its user base ? Personally, I don't blame them at all.

Nor do I.  Also, IMHO, it is one thing for non-Sonar users to gripe about Cakewalk; it is another for Cakewalk's own users to gripe about what's coming up (or not).

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Return of future features info 2017/09/07 16:33:32 (permalink)
The problem is that it's a no-win situation for Cakewalk.

All the companies that force you to pay yearly don't tell what's coming up. At least with Cakewalk, you can look back over almost 3 years of history and decide whether what is provided each year has been worth the $$. And if you don't want to pony up for another year, you can still use the software.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Return of future features info 2017/09/07 21:22:41 (permalink)
Anderton
The problem is that it's a no-win situation for Cakewalk.

All the companies that force you to pay yearly don't tell what's coming up. At least with Cakewalk, you can look back over almost 3 years of history and decide whether what is provided each year has been worth the $$. And if you don't want to pony up for another year, you can still use the software.

I understand what you are saying and largely agree. The problem is that this thinking fails to look at the long term issues that folks have been waiting years to be fixed. If you use your rationale and instead look at their success in resolving these issues, cakewalk has kind of failed. They do put out a lot of fixes each month, but I feel most of the fixes are focused on stuff they have introduced quite recently. Had they never announced ripple editing or a theme editor I'm not sure we would have them yet. SO a person can opt out on upgrading but they risk having something that doesn't fully work as advertised and documented.

You're right, Cakewalk is in a no-win situation, but so are the customers. They have to look every month and see if their pet peeve has been addressed. It would be better if they just drew a line in the sand and said that they simply were not going to address those long term issue, ever. Past behaviour is the best indicator of future behaviour, but that goes for both good and bad.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Anderton
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Return of future features info 2017/09/07 22:33:03 (permalink)
ampfixer
It would be better if they just drew a line in the sand and said that they simply were not going to address those long term issue, ever.

I'm not sure they're in a position to do that with 100% certainty. I agree that if CW is determined never to do something, it would be helpful to know that; I guess it depends on whether there's a cutoff on the list of priorities that transitions from "maybe" to "never." But maybe even that isn't certain, because if Cakewalk decided there was something they absolutely could not do, a third party might come up with a solution that CW could license. 

Or take the Matrix View. Quite a few people (myself included) assumed it had been abandoned because nothing had happened with it for ages. But then John Joseph joined the company, took it under his wing, and unleashed a flurry of fixes and improvements. So who knows...

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Return of future features info 2017/09/08 20:08:50 (permalink)
All I want is a better way to access and adjust meter settings.  I leave a candle in the window and hope for some TLC before I can't remember what a DAW is. 

Perhaps you have a secret up your sleeve that could become a Friday tip? How about a bit on meters?

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1