Disturbing envelope behavior

Author
AlChuck
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 66
2017/09/09 05:08:18 (permalink)

Disturbing envelope behavior

I've been working on a project where I have two guitars playing the same part, one panned hard left, the other hard right. I added volume envelopes to each to bring then down and up for intro, verses, choruses, etc.
Here's what I observed -- after opening the file again to do some more work, some of the envelopes between nodes have become dotted lines; some of the nodes that were there before are gone; and some of the track data seems to be just plain missing arbitrarily. I'm about to pull my hair out. Has anyone else experienced similar issues? Maybe it's operator error but I don't feel like I've been doing anything too esoteric... I've got the latest Platinum update as of yesterday, FWIW...

SONAR Platinum (64 bit), Windows 10  (64 bit), custom-built PC with Intel Core i5 CPU 3.10 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 audio interface (USB 2.0), Seagate 5-TB hard drive, Intel HD graphics

12 Replies Related Threads

karhide
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 457
    Re: Disturbing envelope behavior 2017/09/09 06:00:29 (permalink)
    I have never seen that and it is something I do all the time.  

Which version of Sonar do you have installed? 

Studio: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 32GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace UFX - Focusrite OctoPre MK II - Audient Mico

Mobile: Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM Samsung Evo 1TB system drive Windows 10 64bit - RME FireFace 400

Mobile2: Cakewalk by Bandlab Intel Core i7 8GB RAM 256 GB System Drive Windows 10 64 bit

http://www.karhide.co.uk/
    https://karhide.bandcamp.com
    Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Disturbing envelope behavior 2017/09/09 08:08:43 (permalink)
    The dotted lines between nodes is nothing to worry about. You see thi happen all the time especially if you record automation rather than draw it.
    If it concerns you, just right click on it and select "Linear"#

As for nodes disappearing, I've never seen that happen.

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    stevesweat
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re: Disturbing envelope behavior 2017/09/09 12:54:09 (permalink)
    Are the envelopes working?

Steve
    Sweaty Productions
    http://www.youarentweird.com/
    https://soundcloud.com/user-978097986-982906152
    https://sweatyproductions.bandcamp.com/
    Windows 10 x64
    SONAR Platinum x64
    AMD FX6300 3.5gig 6core
    HYPERx FURY 16gigRam
    PNY GeForce GT730
    WD Caviar 1TB 7200rpm
    Gigabyte ATX AM3+ AMD 970 chipset
    Roland Studio Capture
    AlChuck
    Re: Disturbing envelope behavior 2017/09/10 04:33:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies. The envelopes seem to be working, but then some of that audio data drops to zero in one or the other tracks. As to nodes disappearing, I'm not really sure that really happened, I was just trying to puzzle out WTF had happened to my mix and was pretty upset, mystified, and frustrated. The version of SPLAT is the latest, the August-dated update which I installed just a day or two ago.

SONAR Platinum (64 bit), Windows 10  (64 bit), custom-built PC with Intel Core i5 CPU 3.10 Ghz, 16 GB RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 audio interface (USB 2.0), Seagate 5-TB hard drive, Intel HD graphics
    AlChuck
    Re: Disturbing envelope behavior 2017/09/10 05:23:37 (permalink)
    Oh, another thing that happened which I forgot to mention earlier... the tracks in question had been mono, but now are stereo. Each has a weird delay thing going on, so I can't mute one, center the other and salvage anything of the mix.

Vlar
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 189
    Re: Disturbing envelope behavior 2017/12/19 17:52:07 (permalink)
    I have had earlier automation nodes disappear from automation recorded on longer, live performance recordings. I will record automation on say, "song 12" and sometimes the automation I recorded on "songs 1-10" disappears and is replaced with dotted lines. Any ideas on what causes that? I think I am using the latest version.

sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Disturbing envelope behavior 2017/12/19 18:10:24 (permalink)
    I use automation extensively and have had entire envelopes disappear many times. I've also deleted envelopes to find that others were deleted with it. I've had envelopes randomly appear for synth parameters that I didn't even touch during an automation read performance, and I've seen envelopes for controls I did touch draw the data on screen during recording, only to completely disappear when recording stopped.

In fact that last time I tried to record a bunch of controller-operated synth twiddlings as automation envelopes, I encountered so much weirdness and error that I just gave up. Automation has never been one of Sonar's strong points IMO and I've struggled with its quirks for years.

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Vlar
    Re: Disturbing envelope behavior 2017/12/19 21:08:09 (permalink)
    sharke
    I use automation extensively and have had entire envelopes disappear many times. I've also deleted envelopes to find that others were deleted with it. I've had envelopes randomly appear for synth parameters that I didn't even touch during an automation read performance, and I've seen envelopes for controls I did touch draw the data on screen during recording, only to completely disappear when recording stopped.

In fact that last time I tried to record a bunch of controller-operated synth twiddlings as automation envelopes, I encountered so much weirdness and error that I just gave up. Automation has never been one of Sonar's strong points IMO and I've struggled with its quirks for years.

Wow. Thanks. I thought I was losing my mind (not that I feel any better about it now). I am on a parallel track to switch to Pro Tools. I hope I don't have these problems there.

Is there any way to keep the envelopes/nodes from disappearing. It seems to happen randomly. Every time it does happen, it causes massive problems and wasted time. Automation is a core aspect of everything I am trying to do.

post edited by Vlar - 2017/12/19 21:37:19
    sharke
    Re: Disturbing envelope behavior 2017/12/20 01:01:02 (permalink)
    Vlar
    sharke

Wow. Thanks. I thought I was losing my mind (not that I feel any better about it now). I am on a parallel track to switch to Pro Tools. I hope I don't have these problems there.

Is there any way to keep the envelopes/nodes from disappearing. It seems to happen randomly. Every time it does happen, it causes massive problems and wasted time. Automation is a core aspect of everything I am trying to do.

If there is, I never found it. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Paul G
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2334
    Re: Disturbing envelope behavior 2017/12/20 15:01:20 (permalink)
    If you cut or move an audio clip, (that has an envelope on it), it will sometimes mess with the envelopes.

HTH

Intel i7-4790K, Win7 Pro, 16GB Ram
    1TB OS, 2TB Audio, 1TB Samples
    Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
    Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Paul Robert Glaser
    The Brothers Glaser
    SoundClick
    sharke
    Re: Disturbing envelope behavior 2017/12/20 16:45:57 (permalink)
    I have also found that when you have "select envelopes with clips" selected, strange things sometimes happen when you drag out a copy of a clip. For instance: 

When I drag-copy the clips over, what should happen is that the automation is copied over with them, and the automation under the original clips stays intact. But as you can see, it has destroyed the original automation and placed a seemingly random node in its place. Of course I couldn't reproduce this in a fresh project, it's just one of those weird unpredictable glitches that frustrates me almost every time I work on a project. I spend half my time dealing with nonsense like this when I should be exercising my creativity. 

James
    Vlar
    Re: Disturbing envelope behavior 2017/12/20 20:25:22 (permalink)
    I'm not moving or cutting anything. When I record new automation, sometimes older automation envelopes/nodes disappear earlier on the timeline in the same or different tracks. It seems quite random. I tried deselecting everything, dis-arming and re-arming automation, etc. I can detect no consistent pattern to reproduce.

Is there perhaps a buffer setting somewhere that can be increased, changed, etc.?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1