How to control Kontakt instrument dynamics from MIDI?

Author
djwolf
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 57
2017/09/09 10:09:50 (permalink)

How to control Kontakt instrument dynamics from MIDI?

Sorry to bother... again.  I wish to control my Spitfire Audio instruments in the Sonar tracks.  I was advised at Kontakt to use the Piano Roll Controller pane in order to input CC-103 (the controller for that instrument's dynamics).  I was told not to use NPRN.  However, seeing the Velocity CC already set in the controller pane I tried to create another CC lane.  The value choice went from "1-modulation" to "95-phaser depth" but no controllers like 103 for dynamics or 104 for vibrato from Kontakt.  I tried typing in "CC-103", "103-dynamics" and just "103" but none of these attempts allowed me to place controller points.  Can anyone who uses Kontakt please advise?

3 Replies Related Threads

msorrels
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1025
    Re: How to control Kontakt instrument dynamics from MIDI? 2017/09/09 12:36:28 (permalink)
    In the Piano Roll editor, at the bottom there is a Plus sign (next to the Transform button), Click it.  In the MIDI Event Type dialog make sure Control is selected for Type and in the Value box, type 103 by itself.  Then press OK(or hit enter).  Should make a new CC channel you can use.  You don't have to use the drop down.  Just type the number.

Then select it (instead of Velocity) and draw any control events you want with the pencil.

Or use the Event Viewer and enter exactly what you want at the time you want it.

-Matt

djwolf
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 57
    Re: How to control Kontakt instrument dynamics from MIDI? 2017/09/09 13:21:42 (permalink)
    Thank you so much Matt.  The key was to type in "103" and then to DRAW an envelope.  I was trying to place in points as I place in notes into the staff view.  Of course, I'm not much at freehand so I experimented with "Insert series of controllers" to get that even progression of intensity.  The solution there was also "type in 103".

Thank you so much. 
    msorrels
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1025
    Re: How to control Kontakt instrument dynamics from MIDI? 2017/09/09 13:28:55 (permalink)
    You may also want to watch some of the videos on how the new transform tool works (it can work against any CC automation), it will let you adjust what you have drawn in all sorts of nice ways.  Much easier than it used to be.  There is also a line tool (pick it in the tool drop down instead of the pencil), if you just want to make an increasing/decreasing bit.  Drawing can be a lot harder than you'd think, which is why they added the transform tools.  And then there is always the painful Event View to get things exactly right.

-Matt

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1