MIDI Drums In Home Studio?

Author
Larry Jones
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 834
2017/08/24 07:01:38 (permalink)

MIDI Drums In Home Studio?

Three questions:
  • The "Product" web pages for Music Creator 7 and Sonar Home Studio are the same page. Are these two products the same?
  • Is there a built-in MIDI drum package like Session Drummer in Home Studio?
  • If not, is Session Drummer available to purchase and use with Home Studio?
Asking for a friend. Thanks!
post edited by Larry Jones - 2017/08/24 07:43:35

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS

6 Replies Related Threads

jimfogle
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 463
    Re: MIDI Drums In Home Studio? 2017/08/24 17:52:37 (permalink)
    Music Creator 7 and Home Studio are not the same thing.  The best analogy is Home Studio replaced Music Creator 7.  There are several differences between the two programs.
    • Music Creator 7 was built using the prior Sonar generation GUI and sound engine while Home Studio is built using the current Sonar generation GUI and sound engine.
    • Music Creator 7 was marketed as a consumer product with technical assistance provided via the forum and e-mail while Home Studio is marketed as a professional product with the same technical assistance as all Sonar products.
    • Music Creator 7 is a standalone product while Home Studio is part of the Sonar family of products.
    Both Music Creator 7 and Home Studio include the full suite of Studio Instruments.  The suite is composed of drums, bass, electric piano and strings.  More information is available here:  http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Studio-Instruments.

Jim F
    Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
    Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
    Music Creator 6
    Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
    Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
    http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Larry Jones
    Re: MIDI Drums In Home Studio? 2017/08/24 19:05:11 (permalink)
    jimfogle
    Music Creator 7 and Home Studio are not the same thing.  The best analogy is Home Studio replaced Music Creator 7.  There are several differences between the two programs.
    • Music Creator 7 was built using the prior Sonar generation GUI and sound engine while Home Studio is built using the current Sonar generation GUI and sound engine.
    • Music Creator 7 was marketed as a consumer product with technical assistance provided via the forum and e-mail while Home Studio is marketed as a professional product with the same technical assistance as all Sonar products.
    • Music Creator 7 is a standalone product while Home Studio is part of the Sonar family of products.
    Both Music Creator 7 and Home Studio include the full suite of Studio Instruments.  The suite is composed of drums, bass, electric piano and strings.  More information is available here:  http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Studio-Instruments.

Thanks Jim!
    I should have looked more closely at the SI Drums page. A non-technical friend of mine actually made an album a while back using one of those all-in-one Yamaha boxes with a mixer and hard drive recorder built in. She couldn't manage it herself and I ended up doing the engineering. The thing was so clunky and un-intuitive that it took forever to get anything done and even then I kept thinking it could have been better. I told her if she wanted my help on the next project she would have to switch to any computer-based method. She had a big investment in the Yamaha and was quite budget conscious, so I told her she would find "everything she needed -- including drums" in Music Creator.

I'm relieved to see there is at least some MIDI drum functionality in Home Studio, as I'm sure I will be required to "produce" her next project, for free, of course. I've been using Addictive Drums myself for the past couple of years, and she probably won't spring for that much of an addon, but if SD3 were available as a separate plugin I thought that might be a way to go. Looks like I'm out of luck there, though.
    post edited by Larry Jones - 2017/08/25 00:39:49

SONAR Platinum 2017.10 • CbB  Win10 • i7/2600 • 16GB RAM • Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 • NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS
    jimfogle
    Re: MIDI Drums In Home Studio? 2017/08/26 18:58:22 (permalink)
    Larry,

What Yamaha system does your friend use?  I presently continue to record with a Zoom MRS-8 eight track recorder with a built-in rhythm machine because I like the convenience of recording without a computer.  Sometimes I end up using a rhythm track I've programmed and recorded but most of the time I use the rhythm track as a metronome or click track while recording then add the rhythm section later.  If I can't get the right rhythm track feel out of the Zoom then I'll record the rhythm track first and import the rhythm file into the Zoom.  There is no right way but just what works best at the time.  In this case your "client" is used to using her recorder so I would be trying to figure out ways to make the client comfortable while still meeting your needs.

Jim F
    Music Creator 6

Larry Jones
    Re: MIDI Drums In Home Studio? 2017/09/10 23:00:34 (permalink)
    Hi Jim. Sorry, haven't been checking the forum for a while.

No, she's not used to her recorder. On her earlier project I -- or somebody -- had to help her with every phase of production, and she would only remember about 5% of what she learned from one day to the next. The device is a Yamaha AW-2816, I think, a fine gadget, but outmoded and extremely unintuitive to use, with eight motorized faders controlling the inputs, the monitor mix and the headphone mixes. Push a button and all the faders would change, and it was hard for me to see what mix I was looking at. If you had more than 8 tracks recorded you needed another push of the button to see 9 through 16. The screen was about 4 by 4 inches, monochrome. Each track has 8 "virtual" tracks, kind of like SONAR's take lanes, but you can't see them, and I never found out for sure if you could comp with them or if you had to just pick one and go with it.

Over the years I've gotten used to the SONAR way of doing things and I have a hunch I will be pressed into service on her next project, and her friends have told her computer-based recording is "much easier," so I suggested Home Studio as an affordable way to get started, then I got to wondering just what drum capabilities it had. Near as I can tell the Studio Instruments thing will work for that.

Thanks for your interest and suggestions!

jimfogle
    Re: MIDI Drums In Home Studio? 2017/09/11 02:14:18 (permalink)
    The Yamaha AW2816 is definitely an "oldie, goldie" but way ahead of it's time.  It was released in 2001 but it's specifications are still impressive with eight inputs, motorized faders, 24 bit depth recording, 32 bit depth signal processing and a 54 bit depth EQ section.

One feature the AW2816 has that you may find useful is midi time code (MTC).  Drum machines and sequencers can be synced to the AW2816 via MTC, and the recorder can function as either master or slave. As a master, tempo information can be input in the Tempo Map page and stored with the recorded song.  It also offers time compression/expansion and pitch change for the audio tracks.  Editing is non-destructive and offers 15 levels of undo.

Many hardware based devices offer virtual tracks including my Zoom so it's a concept I'm familiar with.  Each song project on the AWE2816 can contain up to 130 total audio tracks.  The audio tracks are evenly divided into 16 groups (16 tracks X 8 takes) plus one stereo pair for mix down or mastering.  Only one track from each group can be in playback mode at any time.  It's wise to take good notes while recording each take.  You can comp but it is difficult and requires bouncing to an empty track.

Here's a pretty good review:  https://usa.yamaha.com/ne...e-january-2002_us.html

Jim F
    Music Creator 6

onearmswimmer
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12
    Re: MIDI Drums In Home Studio? 2017/09/22 14:18:18 (permalink)
    I'm having some issues with my MC7, when I open it I get CWM,EXE  BAD IMAGE and it says may not be designed to run on windows or it contains an error. I recorded about 15 songs over the last 2 months with no issues. Now I have to re-install MC7 everytime I want to open it to avoid that message and when I close MC7 I have re-install to open again. Also I have to disconnect my presonus audio box when I'm done using MC7 or I have no internet audio. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1