Sonar Platinum crashes when I add an audio track to a project

Author
Lamming
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2017/09/11 18:01:41 (permalink)

Sonar Platinum crashes when I add an audio track to a project

Two problems.
I am adding vocals to a project that consists of VST (Garritan GPO; Addictive Drums, etc) using a Shure SM58 through a Rland Duo Capture.  This has worked well for some time and I have recorded many tracks this way.

A while back, I found that having recorded a vocal, when I hit stop, the track, on the screen, disappeared. Nothing I could do would alleviate this (I added fresh audio tracks, etc.: same thing). This happened a couple of times then went away and new projects were OK.

It came back two days ago with a much bigger issue. When I tried to record vocals on an audio track added to the the instruments the whole system crashed (when I hit Record button) and shut down.  "Support" are apparently asleep (I now have three cases open but no reply to emails).

I am thinking of putting it all in the bin, writing off Sonar a bad decision, and investing in ProTools and hoping my VSTs will transfer OK.

I am on Windows 10, which works pretty well generally.

Richard Lamming
Devon UK

8 Replies Related Threads

lfm
    Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2216
    Re: Sonar Platinum crashes when I add an audio track to a project 2017/09/12 06:34:40 (permalink)
    Will just throw a couple of ideas....

#1. What I read over and over again - for Windows 10 make a total fresh install, no not just upgrade previous OS.
    Read here and on a couple of other forums.
    #2. The number of problems arising from Windows updates in W10 never cease to amaze me.
    Software don't start, or crash on start, audio gone, license authorizing fail etc.

#3. Another thing I read the other day - a guy that again had faulty memory chips and had to swap them.
    First level to figure this out - in BIOS setup deactivate Quick Boot(or fast boot or similar).
    This will make some basic memory tests when booting.

I had to swap out my original memory in my former daw from 2003 - still running for other purposes. So just getting sudden BSOD during the day or at startup - disabling quick boot in bios gave me messages on memory chips.

Removed one at a time until at least starting up without errors.
    Lamming
    Re: Sonar Platinum crashes when I add an audio track to a project 2017/09/13 08:42:01 (permalink)
    Thanks for that - sounds very  major but I'll look into it.  Sonar help did come back to me and have suggested re-installing Sonar. Again, pretty freaky (needs registry editing...) but I'll look into that.   
    MacFurse
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 324
    Re: Sonar Platinum crashes when I add an audio track to a project 2017/09/13 11:45:25 (permalink)
    This doesn't sound like a SONAR issue. Without knowing anything about your system, it's impossible to even guess, but what is clear to me, it's your PC. Win 10, despite some known issues, is the most solid platform I've ever had. But it needs to be set up right, and your PC needs to be a known factor. Things like memory, CPU, particularly any graphic cards, simply have to be taken into account. Your system needs the latest updates for hardware and software. Then there are reliable tweaks that will fix most issues.

But as I said, without any information from you as to what you have this set up on, it's impossible to help you. Reinstalling SONAR won't fix anything if the system behind it is not DAW friendly. And if you think PT will be easier, you are sadly mistaken. The only way forward is knowledge, which you can get a lot of here, and a lot just by simple investigation. To run a DAW, any DAW, requires a lot of learning. Once you get it right, it's pretty much plain sailing.

If you don't get anywhere with support, come back here and list in full your system specs and what steps you have taken to get your system up to date.

all the best.

Platinum. i7 4771 3.5ghz. ECU H87 mobo with 3 monitor support. 16gb Ripjaws 1600mhz. Focusrite 18i20. 2 x 250gb Samsung EVO SSD's OP/Programs. 2x1TB Seagate Baracuda sata3 data drives. 200gb sata2 bootable drive for online and downloading only. Seagate 2tb USB 3.0 backup drive.  2x27in monitors. Rode K2 valve mic. Sontronics STC-1 pair. Studio Projects B1 condenser. SM58B. SM57B. Presonus Eureka Preamp.
    Joe_A
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 458
    Re: Sonar Platinum crashes when I add an audio track to a project 2017/09/13 18:18:41 (permalink)
    There's either a hardware erratic problem, the mentioned don't upgrade to Windows 10, do a Windows 10 install, or a driver/plug issue. Knee jerk reaction to fault whichever DAW package being used. Pls look deeper into appendages or hardware, the fix will be easier.

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
    Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Sonar Platinum crashes when I add an audio track to a project 2017/09/13 18:46:43 (permalink)
    There have been numerous issues with Roland drivers reported in this and other forums. After a Windows 10 update I had to re-install the Octa-Capture drivers. I suggest starting by a) checking whether there are updated drivers, and b) re-installing them...particularly because the issue relates to audio, which means SONAR has to talk to the interface.

I assume you don't have ASIO4ALL installed on your computer. That can conflict with some drivers.

FYI Pro Tools does not work natively with VST plug-ins. You will either need to use AAX plug-ins, or investigate one of the wrappers for using VST with Pro Tools. Another option is to find a ReWire client, load plug-ins into that, and ReWire the client into Pro Tools.

But I don't think you'll need to switch. Your problem is not common, in fact I don't recall seeing anything quite like that before here, so it's extremely likely there's some kind of system-specific issue that probably relates to drivers or hardware.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Joe_A
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 458
    Re: Sonar Platinum crashes when I add an audio track to a project 2017/09/13 19:50:22 (permalink)
    *What Anderton said!! 😊

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
    Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
    Lamming
    Re: Sonar Platinum crashes when I add an audio track to a project 2017/09/17 08:09:19 (permalink)
    Thanks for all these posts - I am away from my desk for a couple of weeks but shall get on with using the advice as soon as I get home, including posting my machine details. It has been plain sailing for a year with this set up (and I rally like Sonar Platinum) so I'll start with th Roland drivers. Really appreciate the way this has worked - my first time on a forum.
    Lamming
    Re: Sonar Platinum crashes when I add an audio track to a project 2017/09/17 08:11:01 (permalink)
    Many thanks for this - very clear. I've responded below.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1