ROLI Blocks and Sonar

Author
outland144k
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 934
2017/09/13 16:54:02 (permalink)

ROLI Blocks and Sonar

I'm just wondering here: has anyone tried ROLI Blocks (or any of the ROLI keyboards) with Sonar yet? How'd it go?

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

4 Replies Related Threads

jerrydf
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re: ROLI Blocks and Sonar 2017/09/13 21:33:30 (permalink)
    Just about to, soon

jdf

i5 6500 3.2GHz; 16GB; Win10 on SSD1; recording and samples on SSD2;  + 3 other HDDs; 2 monitors in landscape;  back with CbB and also Cubase 10 Pro,  Komplete 11, Steinberg UR22.
    Instruments: Various fretboards and amplifiers.
    Listen to ... Cosmic Two-Step (2017)
    outland144k
    Re: ROLI Blocks and Sonar 2017/09/14 02:25:53 (permalink)
    jerrydf
    Just about to, soon

jdf

Great! Can you let me know how it goes? Which keyboard are you purchasing?
    I'm probably getting Equator this week with the promo price. It's a bit "cart before the horse", but I figure with my trusty old Kurzweil Midiboard set to polyphonic aftertouch, I can still do some of the cool things with its modulation.

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

jerrydf
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re: ROLI Blocks and Sonar 2017/09/14 20:58:28 (permalink)
    My son has the list panel with the seaboard (as in your photo) and driving Equator. So I'll try it over the weekend. He's also using an Artiphon. I've tried all these and the seaboard / light pad combination is interesting, and I think can be easily expressive. The strange quirk of the seaboard is the gap between B and C, and E and F,  i.e. the semitone between the white notes on a standard keyboard,  the seaboard has the semitone gap, (sorry - I'm not expressing this very well), effectively the B and E spacings are an extra key width.

Anyway, I'll report back when I've tried these. 

Jerry

i5 6500 3.2GHz; 16GB; Win10 on SSD1; recording and samples on SSD2;  + 3 other HDDs; 2 monitors in landscape;  back with CbB and also Cubase 10 Pro,  Komplete 11, Steinberg UR22.
    Instruments: Various fretboards and amplifiers.
    Listen to ... Cosmic Two-Step (2017)
    outland144k
    Re: ROLI Blocks and Sonar 2017/09/17 03:23:57 (permalink)
    jerrydf
    My son has the list panel with the seaboard (as in your photo) and driving Equator. So I'll try it over the weekend. He's also using an Artiphon. I've tried all these and the seaboard / light pad combination is interesting, and I think can be easily expressive. The strange quirk of the seaboard is the gap between B and C, and E and F,  i.e. the semitone between the white notes on a standard keyboard,  the seaboard has the semitone gap, (sorry - I'm not expressing this very well), effectively the B and E spacings are an extra key width.

Anyway, I'll report back when I've tried these. 

Jerry

Thanks, Jerry; I appreciate it. I'm going to try to get my dealer to load the latest firmware before I buy it. I do not own an iPhone or Android (I own a "regular" cellular phone, no bells or whistles). I intend to hook Blocks up with the cable that comes with it and plugs into a USB 3. Hopefully, that does it. I bought Equator to play attempt some programming, but it does seem rather crippled w/o Blocks or Rise. Also, it looks like the installation did not install a DLL into an VST folder.

Correction: I found the .dll. It was installed into:

C:/Program Files/Common Files/Steinberg/VST2/

One can't control the installation direction of the VST when one installs the application. So, I had to go into Plug-in Manager to include that folder for scans. Not a biggie, but being able to determine location for oneself would have been nice.

The Roli site says that Blocks works with Sonar. So, here's hoping! 
    post edited by outland144k - 2017/09/17 05:30:29

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1