Helpful ReplyHarman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650

Author
Ham N Egz
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15161
2017/09/15 17:04:05 (permalink)

Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650

And you know all the brands under Harman, right?

AKG, AMX, BSS, Crown, dbx, DigiTech, JBL Professional, IDX, Lexicon, Martin, Soundcraft, Studer and SVSI.

New York, NY (September 14, 2017)—Coming just six months after closing its $8 Billion acquisition by consumer electronics giant Samsung, Harman Professional Solutions will undergo a major internal restructuring, radically revamping how it creates new technologies and brings products to market. That shift will result in 650 employees being laid off within the next nine to 12 months across its various professional audio, video, lighting and control system brands, which include AKG, AMX, BSS, Crown, dbx, DigiTech, JBL Professional, IDX, Lexicon, Martin, Soundcraft, Studer and SVSI.
Also with the layoffs will come closures of various facilities; earmarked sites will include Elkhart, IN; South Jordan, UT; and a number of smaller offices in Europe inherited over the last 10 years via acquisitions. In the wake of those closures, Harman intends to consolidate its R&D efforts into three “Centers of Competency,” with acoustics to be headquartered in Harman Pro’s existing facilities in Northridge, CA; electronics, DSP, and video and control tackled in AMX’s hometown of Richardson, TX; and lighting centered in Martin Professional’s longtime base, Aarhus, Denmark.

HARMAN Fights Counterfeiting with Raids

The planned centers are intended to be largely R&D based, creating technologies that will be funneled to a newly formed New Product Introduction (NPI) team that will turn the technologies into actual products. A conglomeration of R&D and design groups based in Shenzhen, China; Bangalore, India; and Budapest, Hungary, the NPI team is anticipated to provide more collaboration between the Centers of Competency, speed the process of getting products to market, and presumably foster more integration of technologies across the different markets’ products.
Speaking to Pro Sound News sister publication, Systems Contractor News, David Glaubke, director of public relations, global professional solutions, Harman International, referred to the changes as “…the culmination of a transformation that the Professional Solutions Division has been undergoing for the last two years to better serve our customers, increase our competitiveness, and accelerate new product innovations.”
Along with the consolidation, Harman Pro plans to invest in new ways to aid sales, in the form of new IT tools and platforms to aid distributors and representatives, as well as new "Experience Centers" in the U.S. and Europe, based on two existing sites in Asia where Harman customers engage with the company’s products.
“We have given our employees advance notification of the changes we will make over the next year to assist with the transition and will do our best to mitigate the impact to our employees and their families,” Glaubke said. “Importantly, we also will ensure that the process is completely seamless for our customers.”

Green Acres is the place to be
 I dont twitter, facebook, snapchat, instagram,linkedin,tumble,pinterest,flick, blah blah,lets have an old fashioned conversation!

Linear Phase
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2201
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2017/09/15 18:06:02 (permalink)
Obviously, everything music related will restructure.   Its all mergers and acquisitions for the foreseeable future.

Hooray, hooray, hooray for Hollywood.  At least Jerry Springer is still on the air

too many lasers...

Sonar = audio editing ninja of a music software!

Linear Phase
Max Output Level: -53 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2201
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2017/09/15 18:06:04 (permalink)
Obviously, everything music related will restructure.   Its all mergers and acquisitions for the foreseeable future.

Hooray, hooray, hooray for Hollywood.  At least Jerry Springer is still on the air

too many lasers...

Sonar = audio editing ninja of a music software!

DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2017/09/15 19:35:08 (permalink)
Ugh. I don't think there has ever been a time when consolidation helped to make better products. It will be all the legacy engineers that will be let go.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2017/09/15 20:37:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ham N Egz 2017/09/15 21:26:28
You know, Samsung probably said....

"No one will lose their jobs. This is not an acquisition, it's a merger. We'll be stronger than ever."
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2017/09/15 21:22:51 (permalink)
We all work for the same master. $$$$$$$ It's all that matters in the 21st century.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2017/09/15 22:14:37 (permalink)
I work for no man

bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2017/09/16 12:55:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby n13L5 2018/04/16 03:46:07
Samsung doesn't give a hoot about AKG, JBL, etc. They bought Harmon for one reason: to own the division that supplies OEM electronics to car manufacturers. Entertainment systems are part of that, but the real growth area they're investing in is navigation and GPS tracking, driver-assistance and self-driving cars, and the software that spies on drivers for insurance companies. That $8B investment will be earned back in the first year.

Let's just hope the next iteration of the C414 doesn't start spontaneously bursting into flames.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2017/09/16 17:57:44 (permalink)
DrLumen
Ugh. I don't think there has ever been a time when consolidation helped to make better products. It will be all the legacy engineers that will be let go.

We'll have to keep an eye out for the new companies these guys will create.  Could be some interesting stuff coming out of them!

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
n13L5
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 73
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2018/04/16 04:12:20 (permalink)
ampfixer
We all work for the same master. $$$$$$$ It's all that matters in the 21st century.

Your proclaimed master, $$$ = the greatest scam ever devised. You go to the bank and ask for a loan.  The money they give you does not exist yet - it comes into existence only by the power of your promissory note, that you will pay that amount to the bank over time (which will be one of the papers you have to sign, without knowing what it really means).
They are loaning you money they didn't have to loan until you signed that note. And the interest they expect you to pay on your "loan" is NOT created - so all interest is missing in the available circulation - ensuring, that about three out of ten people will not be able to pay off their loans, allowing the banks to grab their real assets for money that they did not actually loan you. In this way, all real assets in the world will be consolidated in bankers' hands in less than 200 Years.
This is called fractional-reserve debt-money (paying off all debt is impossible, because the money required to pay the interest is not being created.  But if it were possible and actually paid off, there would be no money in circulation). This system is nothing but a means to drive all of humanity into slavery.

bitflipper
Samsung doesn't give a hoot about AKG, JBL, etc. They bought Harmon for one reason: to own the division that supplies OEM electronics to car manufacturers. Entertainment systems are part of that, but the real growth area they're investing in is navigation and GPS tracking, driver-assistance and self-driving cars, and the software that spies on drivers for insurance companies. That $8B investment will be earned back in the first year.

Let's just hope the next iteration of the C414 doesn't start spontaneously bursting into flames.

And JBL had just started to make better speakers again...

I guess we could *hope*, that Samsung sells off the divisions they don't need to people who do have an interest in pro-audio gear - like they did with Cakewalk...

Favorite toys: Sonar Platinum, Rapture Pro, D-Pro, Melodyne, Brian Hardgroove Collection, Z3TA+2, Mutant Revolution.

Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2018/04/16 13:12:45 (permalink)
That sucks... The Elkhart, IN facility is about 20 miles from my house. It used to be the Crown factory before Harman bought them out. I applied there once when I was in my twenties. Sad to hear it's been closed.
iRelevant
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2018/04/16 13:20:08 (permalink)
bitflipper

Great ! So if I ever get to replace my non-computerized piece of rust, my insurance rate will go up :P 

OS:Win7x64 SP1 CPU:i5/8GB/SSD DAWs : CbB, FLS, SO2, (Reaper) etc. To much Gear, not enough wires. 
My Music : BandLab  https://www.bandlab.com/irelevant BandCamp : https://irelevant.bandcamp.com
eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2018/04/18 00:54:11 (permalink)
n13L5
ampfixer

Your proclaimed master, $$$ = the greatest scam ever devised. You go to the bank and ask for a loan.  The money they give you does not exist yet - it comes into existence only by the power of your promissory note, that you will pay that amount to the bank over time (which will be one of the papers you have to sign, without knowing what it really means).
They are loaning you money they didn't have to loan until you signed that note. And the interest they expect you to pay on your "loan" is NOT created - so all interest is missing in the available circulation - ensuring, that about three out of ten people will not be able to pay off their loans, allowing the banks to grab their real assets for money that they did not actually loan you. In this way, all real assets in the world will be consolidated in bankers' hands in less than 200 Years.
This is called fractional-reserve debt-money (paying off all debt is impossible, because the money required to pay the interest is not being created.  But if it were possible and actually paid off, there would be no money in circulation). This system is nothing but a means to drive all of humanity into slavery.

bitflipper

And JBL had just started to make better speakers again...

I guess we could *hope*, that Samsung sells off the divisions they don't need to people who do have an interest in pro-audio gear - like they did with Cakewalk...

Ok, so knowing this, why aren't you a banker?!

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2018/04/20 14:38:40 (permalink)
behringer.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2018/04/20 15:27:58 (permalink)

How To Become A Banker

Step 1: Earn a High School Diploma. ...Step 2: Obtain a Bachelor's Degree. ...Step 3: Participate in an Internship. ...Step 4: Complete an Investment Banking Program. ...Step 5: Get Licensed. ...Step 6: Consider Obtaining a Master of Business Administration (MBA)

Be related to or become very very good friends with the billionaire bankers of the world

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2018/04/20 17:37:25 (permalink)
bayoubill

How To Become A Banker

Step 1: Earn a High School Diploma. ...Step 2: Obtain a Bachelor's Degree. ...Step 3: Participate in an Internship. ...Step 4: Complete an Investment Banking Program. ...Step 5: Get Licensed. ...Step 6: Consider Obtaining a Master of Business Administration (MBA)

Be related to or become very very good friends with the billionaire bankers of the world

That's a lot of steps and time just to get a job that averages 70K a year, in the US at least.  I worked at AT&T for 12 years making 66K a year with nothing but a 2 year associate's degree in electronics.  Not sure I'd give up half of my life just to make money.  Well, actually..I'm sure I wouldn't, since I haven't, ha ha.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2018/04/20 17:40:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bayoubill 2018/04/20 17:43:22
Oh, and apparently you only have to be friends with Jamie Dimon since he's the only billionaire banker in the world.  I know this cuz Quora knows everything and it said so.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2018/04/20 23:16:50 (permalink)
batsbrew
behringer.

Belong to Music Group or Music Tribe as they are called now, don't they? Along with TC, Midas, Tannoy, Turbosound (previously distributed by Harman) and a bunch of others.

Yours truly worked for them for a very short while. 

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
TheMaartian
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2774
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2018/04/21 00:12:36 (permalink)
Voda La Void
Oh, and apparently you only have to be friends with Jamie Dimon since he's the only billionaire banker in the world.  I know this cuz Quora knows everything and it said so.  

Good luck with that. And he's not the worst of the bunch.

I was consulting to Citibank in the late '90s when they were bought out by Travelers. Sandy Weill (Travelers, and a real bastidge) won the CEO war, so John Reid (Citi, loved the guy) was out. Jamie worked for Sandy and was being groomed to replace him. Then he fired Sandy's daughter (a useless salary check casher) for incompetence. Then Sandy fired him. Jamie took most of the top management staff with him and went to Bank One. Then they bought First Chicago. Then they got swallowed up by JPMorgan Chase, and he then ran that. Still is. He made money on every one of those transactions. And he's still out to get Citi, even though Sandy is long gone.

Intel i7 3.4GHz, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HD Win10 Home 64-bit Tascam US-16x08
Studio One 4 Pro NotionMelodyne 4 Studio Acoustica 7 Guitar Pro 7
PreSonus FaderPort Nektar P6 M-Audio BX8 D2 Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
NI K9U XLN AK, AD2 AAS VS-2, GS-2, VA-2, EP-4, CP-2, OD Toontrack SD3, EZK
eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650 2018/04/21 00:18:29 (permalink)
TheMaartian
Voda La Void

Good luck with that. And he's not the worst of the bunch.

I was consulting to Citibank in the late '90s when they were bought out by Travelers. Sandy Weill (Travelers, and a real bastidge) won the CEO war, so John Reid (Citi, loved the guy) was out. Jamie worked for Sandy and was being groomed to replace him. Then he fired Sandy's daughter (a useless salary check casher) for incompetence. Then Sandy fired him. Jamie took most of the top management staff with him and went to Bank One. Then they bought First Chicago. Then they got swallowed up by JPMorgan Chase, and he then ran that. Still is. He made money on every one of those transactions. And he's still out to get Citi, even though Sandy is long gone.

Brilliant!

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1