how to restore the "old" wavedata directory?

Author
bosone
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 167
2017/09/18 10:05:29 (permalink)

how to restore the "old" wavedata directory?

i have installed the latest sonar platinum version (08 - 2017) and i have noticed that now it creates an audio folder inside each project folder.
i do not like this behaviour, since i have set up a dedicated drive for wavedata files, in order to maximize read/write speed.

how can i restore the old behaviour and let sonar save all the audio data to this folder, instead of using the project folder?

or, better, is it possible to save each project audio data to its dedicate folder in my wavedata drive? (that is different from the drive in which i store the projects...)

listen to my music at
www.alchemystudio.it

4 Replies Related Threads

THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: how to restore the "old" wavedata directory? 2017/09/18 11:14:38 (permalink)
    As I see is the global audio folder obviously only used for older projects. Recording all files of each project in a global folder was a mess.
    When you open a new project you can manually choose an other folder for your audiofolder - just your wavedata disc.
    Or you can save your projects on the same drive as your wavedata.
    We use a SSD for projects and the wavedata inside the project folder.
    Per projects folder will be easier to restore projects from a backup.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    savoy
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 148
    Re: how to restore the "old" wavedata directory? 2017/09/18 12:37:05 (permalink)
    option-global un-check per project audio folders but i strongly advice to use per project audio..

cheer

martin
    post edited by savoy - 2017/09/18 12:58:36

(apologise for my english)

sonar 5 std-m-audio windows xp quad-core pc
    JBL SPEAKER,RHODE NTK MIC.APEX 160
    35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: how to restore the "old" wavedata directory? 2017/09/18 12:51:47 (permalink)
    I would recommend you do what I (and others) do. And that is to have your Sonar projects directory on your audio drive and have all audio saved with the project. This does not impact performance, especially on modern systems. I think Sonar reads the project file into memory. So the only time it does anything with that file on disk is when you save.

The biggest advantage of having project audio saved with the project is that it is easier to manage and keeps everything together for safer backup and restore. I lost audio content years ago when I had projects and audio on different disks, because I transferred all my projects elsewhere and when I tried to use them all the audio was missing. Keeping it all together is so much better for loads of reasons and doesn't affect performance.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: how to restore the "old" wavedata directory? 2017/09/18 14:39:05 (permalink)
    This is very simple. 
    Most of us use a separate drive for Sonars projects. 
    Go into preferences and change the pathway for your projects. 
    And you certainly do want the audio inside the project folder. 
    You can also perform a save as and browse to the data drive, create a new folder etc... it's windows and all software works the same way when saving stuff,, been like this for 25 years

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1