1st mastered mix of set- is this gonna work?

Author
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
2017/09/19 15:19:05 (permalink)

1st mastered mix of set- is this gonna work?

https://soundcloud.com/ba...nt-to-go-trouble-album
downloadable if you want to look at the wav file.

this is my first final 'mastered' tune from the album.
it will become the 'template' or guide for the rest of the mastering.

i've mastered it very lightly, and it's fairly quiet, dynamic range of DR12, average RMS is about -15 to -13, but it has been compressed and limited.

this is as light as i would ever master, and cannot decide if it's too quiet or not.
.....not sure where these levels sit with modern streaming requirements.
if you would, please, crank it up loud, and see how it translates, and if you think it needs to be pushed a bit more.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

11 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: 1st mastered mix of set- is this gonna work? 2017/09/19 16:15:07 (permalink)
    Firstly I like the track.
    I did download and listened using Soundforge Pro 11, the True Peak Meters showed you as being over by 1.2dB on the right and 0.1dB on the left across the tune ans a whole.  I did wonder if it was perhaps just a little bright as well but generally the mix sound very well balance with good spread and separation with enough space around the instrumentation and the vocal.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: 1st mastered mix of set- is this gonna work? 2017/09/19 16:44:50 (permalink)
    Sounds fine to me, but as far as the mastering goes, it would easier to make a judgement in the context of the other tracks.

Super track by the way...

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    ed1luv4g
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: 1st mastered mix of set- is this gonna work? 2017/09/19 19:50:50 (permalink)
    NIce mix. Makes me rethink some of mine.
    arlen2133
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 601
    Re: 1st mastered mix of set- is this gonna work? 2017/09/19 20:31:40 (permalink)
    Love the track man.
    I was just listening to some other tunes and it fit right in (volume wise) so i wouldn't think you'd have to make it any louder.
    As always love the solos and the vocals...

Arlen
    aka
    Mr Grant
    my music

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum (2017.09) & X3e , Windows 7 64 bit, Intel I5 3.4 Ghz, 32 Gbs RAM, Saffire Pro40, various pres and VSTi's.

oockkk
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re: 1st mastered mix of set- is this gonna work? 2017/09/19 22:00:49 (permalink)
    Oh~ nice song! cool sound!
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: 1st mastered mix of set- is this gonna work? 2017/09/19 23:52:46 (permalink)
    Hey bat! How about this request? What song(s) can you have us compare yours to? It would really help answer your question. 
    We could look at overall loudness, EQ, compression, etc. 
    It would not hurt to give us links to songs that fit your genre. 
    Just an idea. 
    I agree with James that you really need to have all your tunes done to really nail the mastering for an album. 
    What you think today will most likely change when you compile the rest. 
    So, I would not put too much emphasis on just one song with others coming. 
    I'll listen to this one tonight. 

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Rimshot
    Re: 1st mastered mix of set- is this gonna work? 2017/09/20 01:04:34 (permalink)
    OK. I listened in my car coming home and now in my studio. Your song and playing is really so great. 
    For the mix, it is good but could be better. 
    I surfed around and came up with Rush's Tom Sawyer here (remastered by somebody):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gztabfs5ngA
    Not to compare to you bat but it really has good top to bottom. I am A/B ing your song and their YouTube. I have you on my left monitor so I can play/pause and Rush on the right. So with my speakers jacked up, I can really compare. 
    They have more low end and it is tight and big. Compare their kick and bass to yours. You use brighter guitars which is good but they sound bigger IMO because the guitars are not as bright as the vocal and cymbals. 
    So, it makes the sound seem larger. 
    I think you can get more out of your lo mids and bottom if you feel like it. 
    Rush's kick is really nice. 
    So that's some input that might help. 
    At this stage, like I said one up, I would not focus too hard until all the tunes are done. I would also suggest using other commercial releases for your comparison instead of your own just to stay in the commercial playing field. 

All the best. 
    Jimmy

Update: Here's another YT track:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tP5j6yONVE

Kick is pretty loud but it all sounds good to me. 

post edited by Rimshot - 2017/09/20 01:45:21

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    batsbrew
    Re: 1st mastered mix of set- is this gonna work? 2017/09/20 15:18:37 (permalink)
    Wookiee
    Firstly I like the track.
    I did download and listened using Soundforge Pro 11, the True Peak Meters showed you as being over by 1.2dB on the right and 0.1dB on the left across the tune ans a whole. I did wonder if it was perhaps just a little bright as well but generally the mix sound very well balance with good spread and separation with enough space around the instrumentation and the vocal.

alright wookiee, thanks for the goings over.....
    i'm on the fence with the brightness..
    i don't think it's overt.. and i'm looking for a more modern sounding mix on this set....
    but between your suggestion, and rimshots, i may consider a more gentle roll on the high end.
    it's quite easy to push it in either direction, and not mess up the sonics, when you are mastering this light.

jamesg1213
    Sounds fine to me, but as far as the mastering goes, it would easier to make a judgement in the context of the other tracks.

Super track by the way...

hey james,
    yea, the others will be slightly different,
    but right now, i have to establish a max headroom, and this song would be the one to set it by.

ed1luv4g
    NIce mix. Makes me rethink some of mine.

thanks for listening Ed, i'm always re-thinking it!!
    LOL

arlen2133
    Love the track man.
    I was just listening to some other tunes and it fit right in (volume wise) so i wouldn't think you'd have to make it any louder.
    As always love the solos and the vocals...

glad you dig this one arlen, thanks.

oockkk
    Oh~ nice song! cool sound!

thanks Oockkk, appreciate the listen.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
    Re: 1st mastered mix of set- is this gonna work? 2017/09/20 15:24:23 (permalink)
    Rimshot
    OK. I listened in my car coming home and now in my studio. Your song and playing is really so great. 
    For the mix, it is good but could be better. 
    I surfed around and came up with Rush's Tom Sawyer here (remastered by somebody):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gztabfs5ngA
    Not to compare to you bat but it really has good top to bottom. I am A/B ing your song and their YouTube. I have you on my left monitor so I can play/pause and Rush on the right. So with my speakers jacked up, I can really compare. 
    They have more low end and it is tight and big. Compare their kick and bass to yours. You use brighter guitars which is good but they sound bigger IMO because the guitars are not as bright as the vocal and cymbals. 
    So, it makes the sound seem larger. 
    I think you can get more out of your lo mids and bottom if you feel like it. 
    Rush's kick is really nice. 
    So that's some input that might help. 
    At this stage, like I said one up, I would not focus too hard until all the tunes are done. I would also suggest using other commercial releases for your comparison instead of your own just to stay in the commercial playing field. 

All the best. 
    Jimmy

Update: Here's another YT track:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tP5j6yONVE

Kick is pretty loud but it all sounds good to me. 

you know, i've always dug rush.
    big fan, but mostly of the first era, up thru permanent waves.

but those mixes, as good as they are, sound a bit dated to me.
    i'm going a bit more modern.
    i'm worried about low end translation on ALL systems, and have already found freqs that i know need taming, with my mixes...

the mixes are all done, only the mastering is at hand now.

i could roll off some of the highs, even on just the guitar tracks, and still get the clarity i want,
    so if i tweak any of the mixes, i might approach it that way.
    small boosts of specific kick and bass freqs, i've already done, but i could get a little more poky with it,
    and bring up level a bit to make up for the carving.

yea, rush set the bar really high.

if i had that recording studio to use,
    and that gear,
    and that drummer.....

LOL

hey, my drummer on this project was top shelf...
    i was quite happy with the performances, but not the capture.
    but that, i'm afraid, i'm stuck with.

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Rimshot
    Re: 1st mastered mix of set- is this gonna work? 2017/09/20 18:48:06 (permalink)
    Ha ha. The old "If I had their studio, musicians, etc..." but you are correct. There is no way to compete at that level but we try!

I think you do great with all of your work. I think I have said it to you many many times. Since you are started a serious project, I hope you can hear that some fullness and body might be slightly missing. That's my main point. The only way to show you is to offer up something I think sounds bigger and fatter. 
    For the modern day sound you want, no question that today there are much more high end, compressed, and edgy tones compared to the past. I think overall, rock and roll has suffered with the "new" sound. I also think that acoustic instruments and songs not centered around distorted guitars is better now. 
    Regardless, so many listeners in this forum seem to listen on the laptops and earbuds so what I am saying may not mean much to them. When someone listens with a drastically reduced frequency response and says it sounds good, then how do you mix to that?
    Anyway, all the best bat. Your music goes places I can only dream of. 

Rimshot 

batsbrew
    Re: 1st mastered mix of set- is this gonna work? 2017/09/21 14:03:55 (permalink)
    thanks shot!

Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1