How to connect Tascam US-20x20 with Behringer ADA8200

Author
twelvetone
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 70
2017/09/19 21:24:01 (permalink)

How to connect Tascam US-20x20 with Behringer ADA8200

The manual of neither device is helpful and general googling turned up nothing.

I have a microphone connected to a Behringer input and speaking into it lights the signal LED.
I have the Behringer set to Slave/ADAT in, and the Behringer's ADAT in connected to the Tascam's Optical Out.
The "Locked" LED on the Behringer is lit.

The Tascam has a 3 position pushbutton switch on the front, "Mic Pre", "Audio I/F" and "Mixer".
Neither position gives me anything on either headphone out on the Tascam.

The optical cable is properly seated. I have 5 cables of different manufacture.
They are all around 1/2 to 1 foot long.
I also tried changing the connections over and setting the Behringer to Master, trying both 44. and 48k.

And finally I connected both in-to-out and the other pair in-to-out at the same time and tried all combinations again.

I just don't get the signal from the Behringer coming out of the headphone sockets of the Tascam.

I had a Behringer interface some months ago and this part of proceedings worked without a problem.

Any ideas?

Edit: The Tascam US-20x20 works stand-alone in the Mic Pre mode.
The Behringer has no headphone output.

5 Replies Related Threads

Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: How to connect Tascam US-20x20 with Behringer ADA8200 2017/09/20 18:43:22 (permalink)
    If you want to record from the Behringer ADA8200:
    You need to route its optical output (lightpipe) to the Tascam's optical input.
    Otherwise, there's no signal getting into the Tascam (from the Behringer).

The way you describe it above, the Tascam is feeding the Behringer.
    That'll work to clock the Behringer to the Tascam... but it won't get signal to the Tascam.
    Lightpipe is a one-way connection.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    twelvetone
    Re: How to connect Tascam US-20x20 with Behringer ADA8200 2017/09/20 18:47:38 (permalink)
    OK, it does seem to be working because I can record to Sonar from any input, Tascam or Behringer. And it works with the Tascam as the master or the Behringer as the master. It's just that I cannot hear myself during recording, only on playback.

I still have the older Tascam US1800 and US1641 from this series. They have a mix knob marked Input on one side and Computer on the other. On the US20x20 the knob's been removed. There's just a blank space there.

I'll probably go back to my US1800. I wanted the better preamps, but the US1800 is good. 

Oh, well. Another expensive box gathering dust. 
    twelvetone
    Re: How to connect Tascam US-20x20 with Behringer ADA8200 2017/09/20 18:54:47 (permalink)
    @Jim: Our posts crossed. As I said: I tried all ways, finally connecting both sides and that's how I have it now.
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: How to connect Tascam US-20x20 with Behringer ADA8200 2017/09/20 21:29:23 (permalink)
    If I understand right, you'll have to go into  the TASCAM from the Behringer - it is a simply ADA (with pres) and not an interface to get the sound into the computer.  And you'll need the TASCAM going to the computer to control the TASCAM.  You should have the optical in enabled in the TASCAM soft mixer to get the sound in, then you can route it to the headphones.  The mixer app is one of those funky, dual page in and out formats.  I have to stare at it for 10 minutes every time I open it up and try to remember how the routing works (I don't mess with it much). 

The 3 tabs are like presets for what you want the hardware to do.  It can be used as a stand alone mixer for a live show, and it has presets for that, I believe, so you can set and forget.  But I imagine you want to run it as an interface, with the mic feeding the Behringer and that via optical feeding the TASCAM which goes via USB to SONAR.  That is two soft mixers without counting whatever the Behringer needs for routing.  It gets confusing.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: How to connect Tascam US-20x20 with Behringer ADA8200 2017/09/20 22:23:55 (permalink)
    On my Tascam us1641 you will not hear digital input on the headphones. This is because the monitoring is analog only,,, My 6i6 is the same. It's the one downside of bypassing the A/D. 
    The direct monitoring is on the A side. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1