Reverse Impulse Responses

Author
Chandler
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 477
2017/10/08 08:24:54 (permalink)

Reverse Impulse Responses

Here is a quick tutorial on reverse impulse responses and how you can easily make them in MConvolutionMB. Check it out for interesting sound design ideas.

My soundcloud page Chandlerhimself
My Youtube page

3 Replies Related Threads

batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: Reverse Impulse Responses 2017/10/09 18:41:58 (permalink)
    i think that should read "repulsive impulses"

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Reverse Impulse Responses 2017/10/09 20:36:30 (permalink)
    Thanks Chandler. Your videos always get me thinking about stuff I do not normally think about.  And coming up with ideas of my own.

I think there are other things you can do too with reverse reverb.  Such as take a single hit. Feed it into a reverb the normal way around. Render that reverb out as an audio file. Then reverse it now and time shift it to the left so the reverb comes before the hit. Feed the hit into a normal reverb so it carries reverb on after the hit. Preferably the same reverb used for the reverse hit.   A 2 second reverb will fit nicely into 4 beats at 120 BPM. 

Try feeding a rhythmical passage at the tempo into this system and see what happens. Shifting the reverb back in multiples e.g. quarter notes will yield different results. 

You don't need any plugins to do this either. MConvolutionMB is very good value though. 

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Chandler
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re: Reverse Impulse Responses 2017/10/10 02:45:10 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans - Thanks for watching. What you mentioned is definitely a cool technique. I’ve used that before and it sounds really good.

IMO the advantage of this technique is that the sound isn’t backwards. For hits of course it doesn’t really matter, but for vocals this effect lets yoy hear the words correctly. Of course you could still do this without MConvolution, but the time and effort it saves is wonderful. The main reason to use MConvolution is because I can sync the IR to tempo easily. Of course you can use whatever IR louder you prefer though. I’m trying to get Melda’s developer to add a pure white noise IR, so I’ll be able to sculpt my own IRs with crazy rhythms and filtering.

Batsbrew - maybe so.

My soundcloud page Chandlerhimself
    My Youtube page
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1