Helpful ReplyLeft my focusrite Isa one on for a week

Author
Westside Steve Simmons
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 196
2017/10/14 21:43:45 (permalink)

Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week

I finished a session and was away from the studio for a week just went back down today and found that I left my focusrite Isa one on. Phantom power was on to my AKG 414. Anybody think that's dangerous?
WSS
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week 2017/10/14 22:33:30 (permalink)
I routinely left my old MOTU on for literally weeks at a time, sometimes months. It lasted for years. Right up until the day it died at the ripe old age of 7.

Fearing I'd shortened its life by turning it off so infrequently, I now make a point of powering down its replacement when I shut down at night. Probably for nothing, though. In reality, turning it on probably stresses it more than leaving it on (ever notice how light bulbs fail just as you turn them on?).

Assuming it wasn't crazy hot that week, any piece of solid-state electronic gear that can't handle being on for a week is garbage, and Focusrite stuff ain't garbage.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week 2017/10/15 11:23:48 (permalink)
No, I don't think it is dangerous.

I once calculated that leaving my gear on all the time might cost me 100 USD per year.

So I turn everything of to save money.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week 2017/10/15 12:33:15 (permalink)
I don't think it will hurt it, unless it was overheated.  If it was overheated and actually caused some type of problem usually those don't show up until later.  I have an ISA One and I've left it on for two days, by mistake, one time and it didn't (apparently) hurt it. 

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
Westside Steve Simmons
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 196
Re: Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week 2017/10/16 00:57:02 (permalink)
Thank you gentlemen. BTW I do use a pair of Roland DS 90 powered monitors and I leave them on all the time. For many many years without a problem but I do power down the computer.
I do try to remember to turn off the isa one.
I appreciate the input.
WSS the
rumleymusic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1533
Re: Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week 2017/10/16 04:52:01 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jude77 2017/10/16 16:08:20
I don't think it is good to leave a mic out and powered on.  Just because it will collect dust quickly and increase the possibility of failure in the future.  They really should be stored away in their case after use.  

Daniel Rumley
Rumley Music and Audio Production
www.rumleymusic.com
jude77
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1146
Re: Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week 2017/10/16 16:10:28 (permalink)
rumleymusic
I don't think it is good to leave a mic out and powered on.  Just because it will collect dust quickly and increase the possibility of failure in the future.  They really should be stored away in their case after use.  

Yep

You haven't lived until you've taken the Rorschach.

Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit /6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)/16GB (1x16GB) DDR4 2133MHz SDRAM Memory/ NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 730 with 2GB DDR3 Graphics Memory/ Dell KB216 Wired Multi-Media Keyboard English Black/ 802.11ac + Bluetooth
4.0/Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro/Wireless 3165 driver
DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week 2017/10/16 18:08:26 (permalink)
I agree with storing mics for safe keeping.

Except for monitors, I leave all my gear on 24/7/365. Like bitflipper was saying, I tend to think the initial current rush is part of the cause of electronic failures but also the heat/cool cycles. I think the insulation (like shellac) on transformers and chokes and the various capacitor materials tend to age quicker with heating and cooling (expansion and contraction)

I may spend more on electricity in the long run but I think I save time by not having to recover from as many failures. Either way, "The world may never know."

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
Eddie TX
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1104
Re: Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week 2017/10/16 18:44:22 (permalink)
DrLumen

Except for monitors, I leave all my gear on 24/7/365. Like bitflipper was saying, I tend to think the initial current rush is part of the cause of electronic failures but also the heat/cool cycles. I think the insulation (like shellac) on transformers and chokes and the various capacitor materials tend to age quicker with heating and cooling (expansion and contraction)

I may spend more on electricity in the long run but I think I save time by not having to recover from as many failures. Either way, "The world may never know."

An electronic tech told me a while back that it's best to leave gear powered up all the time, for these exact reasons. Makes sense to me. 

Part of "aging tests" routinely done by major manufacturers is to repeatedly heat-cycle the products in question. 

As for saving electricity, I'm all for that, but most modern studio units like interfaces and even PCs don't consume that much power, esp. when idle. If you're curious, buy or borrow a meter like the Kill a Watt.

Cheers,
Eddie

Sonar X3 Producer / Win 10 
The future exists in all directions.
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week 2017/10/16 20:26:21 (permalink)
+ 1 to the KIll a watt meter and others like it. My Daughter was living off the grid for a few years and bought one so they could see what was hogging power.
Our studio's use very little power. 
I'll ask her if she still has it and run it on mine. 
I also have an old freezer someone gave me that never shuts off much,,, I want to test that pig.. might be worth it to buy a new more efficient model. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

DrLumen
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 621
Re: Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week 2017/10/16 20:48:21 (permalink)
Eddie TX
DrLumen

An electronic tech told me a while back that it's best to leave gear powered up all the time, for these exact reasons. Makes sense to me. 

Part of "aging tests" routinely done by major manufacturers is to repeatedly heat-cycle the products in question. 

As for saving electricity, I'm all for that, but most modern studio units like interfaces and even PCs don't consume that much power, esp. when idle. If you're curious, buy or borrow a meter like the Kill a Watt.

Cheers,
Eddie

Yes, that is what my electronics professor told us as well. That was in the 70's though. :) I would tend to think it is still true though.

Just doing a napkin type calculation, if I spend about $300 a year on electricity and it prevents a HDD from going bad then I think it is worth it. Every few years I will have a drive go bad but there is really no way to know if the drive would have gone bad if turned off every night. It might have happened quicker but I still wouldn't know which strategy was better. <shrugs>

Like bitflipper was saying about light bulbs, my system problems always show up after a reboot or cold start.

-When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sonar Platinum / Intel i7-4790K / AsRock Z97 / 32GB RAM / Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / Behringer FCA610 / M-Audio Sport 2x4 / Win7 x64 Pro / WDC Black HDD's / EVO 850 SSD's / Alesis Q88 / Boss DS-330 / Korg nanoKontrol / Novation Launch Control / 14.5" Lava Lamp
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week 2017/10/16 20:52:01 (permalink)
DrLumen

On the other side of the coin I dont agree. I have been turning my studio on and off now for 37 years! Not one failure due to this approach either so how do you explain that! Except I do do it in a sequence though. Not everything at once. Leaving gear on is a myth. (Older gear yes but not these days) Especially computers. Windows does not like being on for a long periods of time. It is well known that you should cold boot your computer.  Leaving your gear on also consumes a lot of power over a year.  Electricity is getting far too expensive to do it these days. Leaving your  computer on even in standby is running the power supply as well. Basically you are wearing it out faster, much faster.

And if you go away for three weeks and leave you gear on then you are even more silly. You are leaving yourself open to some real potential problems due to storms etc.. Lightening strikes etc..You need to totally disconnect power when you go away. 

I used to teach sound engineering in a school that had an old Harrison M32C console and yes that had to stay on for sure.  It just did not like being turned on and off.  It drew over 1KW permanently and the power supply got so hot it had to be in a room of its own with an air con permanently aimed at it in order to keep the temp under control. But a lot of modern gear these days e.g. digital mixers don't have to operate this way.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Sycraft
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 871
Re: Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week 2017/10/17 01:50:00 (permalink)
Electronics don't mind being on at all. Think about all the electronics we have out there that run 24x7 with no issues. On or off it really doesn't matter, other than leaving something off for a real long time can cause electrolytic capacitors to die off a bit faster (if the unit has any). There's no particular reason to leave them on (power cycling really doesn't hurt them) but no reason to need to turn them off.

Also Jeff your view on Windows is a little dated. You can leave it on as long as you like. The days on 9x where memory leaks would slowly kill a system are long gone. The Windows desktop and server code bases are fully integrated, Windows 10 runs the same kernel as Server 2016. You can leave your system up and running 24x7x365 and just let it reboot for patches and it'll be fine.

Depends on the stability of your hardware, of course, but if you have good hardware, continuous run isn't a problem.
Jeff Evans
Re: Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week 2017/10/17 09:41:01 (permalink)
I have encountered the odd situation in Windows where it was doing something strange.  Restarting did not cure the problem.  Only turning off completely waiting minute and doing a cold boot did the problem disappear.  This is with current systems.  It still happens today.  Not as often I agree bit still can happen.

People who leave their computers on permanently will put up with a situation like that and probably waste quite a lot of time trying to rectifying it as well.  Not even thinking that a complete turn off and a cold boot would fix it.  It happened to konradh recently in the Sonar threads.  

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
rumleymusic
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1533
Re: Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week 2017/10/17 14:16:53 (permalink)
There are plenty of scenarios where shutting down the computer completely and restarting can be helpful and resolve driver or hardware issues.  The classic "have you tried turning it off and on again?" IT Crowd line hasn't lost its relevance. 

Even though mic's are a given to pack away after use since it is the physical transducer that needs to be kept clean and protected, I would still suggest turning all your gear off after use.  Some electronics don't mind being powered 24/7 but LEDs and display screens, and several other heat dissipating electronics, have a limited life span.  I can't think of any modern small signal audio electronics that would suffer from frequent on/off cycles. 

Daniel Rumley
Rumley Music and Audio Production
www.rumleymusic.com
Jeff Evans
Re: Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week 2017/10/17 20:19:11 (permalink)
With microphones yes the best approach is to definitely keep them packed up.  And if they do have to stay out overnight or for a few days due to a long session a good thing to do is to cover them with a small open ended bag of some kind. Note, open ended is important otherwise moisture could build up.  The worst thing that may have happened in the OP's case is the diaphragm being exposed for week while charged to airborne dust.  But if there was no one around at least for a week the amount of airborne dust would have been minimal.  I am sure your microphone is fine.  Your preamp will also be fine too.  Please don't be tempted to clean the diaphragm or even apply any air dusting to it etc.. It is very delicate and can be damaged permanently very easily.  Just keep it stored in between uses safely. 

I agree with Daniel re turning gear on and off I think these days with gear drawing so little power now too and being able to immediately offer identical performance as well the moment it is switched on.

Like I mentioned with the Harrison console and also with me in the 80's with a lot of vintage analog synths they did not mind being powered up but they did often take a while to warm up and get back to the sounds they had previously or in most cases they never actually returned to their previous sounds anyway.  I used to leave some stuff on if I was very tired and not able to track a part say.  I would leave them on and then next morning get up and do it.   With digital synths now of course this is not an issue anymore as they do power perfectly to the same sounds they had previously.  The argument for leaving your studio on is weak now. 

There is also an argument against leaving stuff on too.  With the Harrison console we were in an area that was prone to voltage fluctuations and spikes and the disadvantage was although the console would be very stable due to being left on, sometimes it used to take a power spike in the middle of the night and then we had to get the power supply repaired which was usually very very costly. We had to carry a spare because of this.  In the end we had to get a special UPS that totally isolated the console. But it cost a fortune because the console drew well over 1KW and the cost of a UPS that can handle that sort of power starts to get very serious. 

Joe_A
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week 2017/10/17 20:38:02 (permalink)
As an IT person I can only offer an opinion...today's servers should run 24/7....today's workstations / home computers can be shut down daily. Today's hard drives can be powered off daily. I've followed this pattern for years without problems personally.
(Your experience may vary).
I can say there is a percentage of hardware that will fail in one year whichever way is followed.

Others will run for a decade. But always operate like your hard drive will fail anytime because you never know. 😊

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
Joe_A
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week 2017/10/17 20:39:50 (permalink)
Now, because I've said something....if my PC or laptop doesn't boot up tonight I'll be upset.....

A side note...I've had my Edirol FA 101 on for the last 5 years except for hurricanes. No reason, just where it sits on my desk.

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Left my focusrite Isa one on for a week 2017/10/21 00:21:53 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
I have encountered the odd situation in Windows where it was doing something strange.  Restarting did not cure the problem.  Only turning off completely waiting minute and doing a cold boot did the problem disappear.  This is with current systems.  It still happens today.  Not as often I agree bit still can happen.

+1
I can also attest to that.

I've also had a lap top that would need to be unplugged and battery pulled, hold the power button on for 10 seconds (The draino approach) in order for it to run again for long periods of time.
I would like to think there was some sort of defect but it ran great, as I said for long periods of time.
But it would once in a while have a quirk with it that needed special attention.

I leave my PC's on 24-7-365.
I cant say ive ever had an issue where I thought came from leaving my PC on all the time.

I will most deff agree that a good cold boot/ leave off/even unplug/ for a minute is much needed to do once in a while.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1