Screen Capture cannot hear SONAR

Author
zoffmeister
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 183
2017/10/15 16:40:34 (permalink)

Screen Capture cannot hear SONAR

Hi there. I am trying for the first time to screen capture a SONAR session. I downloaded OBS as it is well recommended as a great free solution. I think my problem must be to do with how Windows handles audio.

My interface is an Apollo. My Master output track in SONAR is sent to Apollo MON (the main monitor output on Apollo). 
When choosing audio device in the Windows sound payback device settings my only option for Apollo is called Apollo, i.e. Windows cannot see individual Ins and Outs. Not sure whether this is a relevant problem.
Anyway, inside my OBS screen capture software I chose Apollo as the option for desktop audio. I press Play in SONAR, I hear the audio, I see the meters in Apollo Console jumping up and down (all as expected) but the meters in OBS show nothing. I go to the Windows playback devices box, I see that Apollo is set as the default as it should be and is ticked but the little meter shows nothing even though SONAR is playing and coming through Apollo fine. Now when I open my browser and lets say play a YouTube video, that audio is of course sent to Apollo, I see the Apollo meters dancing just like they do when I play SONAR, however now I also see the meters dancing in the Windows Playback devices box and therefore also that sound shows up in OBS. So I can play anything else on my PC - YouTube, Spotify, etc and that audio shows up in Windows and Apollo, but when I play SONAR it only appears in Apollo. Therefore SONAR is the only audio I cannot route to other apps. Why is this? What is going on? Is it that other apps send there audio to Windows which then sends it on to the Apollo, whereas SONAR sends straight to Apollo and bypasses a vital stage that I need for what I am trying to do?

Please help explain what is going on here and tell me how I get around this problem.
Thanks in advance

SONAR Platinum 1607, Windows 10 Pro, i7 6700K 16GB Ram 3.4Ghz
256GB SSD C: Drive, 525GB SSD VI's, 2TB Audio Drive

Interface: UA Apollo Firewire, UAD2 Quad PCIe
Mackie Control, C4 and two extenders. 
Studiologic SL990 Pro keyboard controller

14 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Screen Capture cannot hear SONAR 2017/10/15 17:00:02 (permalink)
    I don't know of any screen capture software that works with ASIO. You have to use the "what you hear" or "stereo mix" with native Windows drivers, which your computer may or may not support. And if it does support Windows drivers, it might not work with WASAPI shared, which is ideal for this situation.

Lacking that...the way I did the videos for my Advanced Workshop videos was to use two interfaces, a Windows one for Vegas and ASIO for SONAR.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    zoffmeister
    Re: Screen Capture cannot hear SONAR 2017/10/15 17:18:49 (permalink)
    Thanks Craig. I thought this might be the problem. These damn ASIO ignorant apps. 
    I think my only option at the moment is to send the audio out and record it to minidisc. I'll then have to record it back in again before syncing it to the video. This is all much more of a faff than I hoped. :(

Rasure
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 584
    Re: Screen Capture cannot hear SONAR 2017/10/15 18:15:33 (permalink)
    I use OBS https://obsproject.com/download and when I want to screen capture from sonar I just change my drivers to "WASAPI shared" within Sonar, then back to ASIO when I`m done :-)

[ASUS Z97-K 3.30 gigahertz Intel Core i5-4590]
    [16 Gig Ram]
    [NVIDIA GeForce GTX1050 Ti 1920 X 1080]
    [Windows 10 Pro x64]
    [Sonar Platinum x64 Lifetime]
    [Studio One 4 Pro]
    [Notion 6]
    [Waves Mercury + Abbey Road & SSL Collection V10]
    [Mackie Onyx 400f]

YouTube | 10% Off Waves | Rasuresphere II Omnisphere Library & Midi Stems
    Anderton
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Screen Capture cannot hear SONAR 2017/10/15 18:18:40 (permalink)
    Yes, WASAPI shared is a fine solution but as I mentioned, not all computers support it nor do all computers support "stereo mix." For example my desktop works with WASAPI, but my [actually more modern] laptop doesn't.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    simeon
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 494
    Re: Screen Capture cannot hear SONAR 2017/10/15 18:54:30 (permalink)
    I use VB-Audio Banana which is a virtual audio mixer that can combine multiple audio inputs, etc.
    It is a great companion to OBS Studio.
    You can find it here: https://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

Simeon Amburgey
    Sound Creations, Inc.
    www.PraiseTracks.com
    ***PS.89:15***
    ramscapri
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 316
    Re: Screen Capture cannot hear SONAR 2017/10/15 19:44:32 (permalink)

Hi Dean,

Its unusual why your Windows 10 Pro is not able to see individual ins and outs. I don't know how Apollo exactly works in this regard but I use Roland Octacapture and Windows 10 Home in my laptop can see all individual stereo inputs and outputs of Octacapture. 
    See below screenshots of my sound devices :

You may want to check your manual for Apollo why individual stereo inputs and outputs are not shown in your sound device options in Windows. It could possibly be some setting.

Moreover, recording into the Windows Voice recorder app directly from Sonar works for me even with ASIO as the selected driver. 
    You can record directly from individual audio tracks depending on what output is selected for the audio track. The output should be one that is routed to the main playback of Windows which in turn is connected to the main stereo recording input representing the system sound.

The key is not only the "Playback" devices but also the right default selection under "Recording" devices in Windows.
    In my case, I keep "MAIN" as the default under recording devices which routes all stereo sounds from Windows and also the main stereo output from Sonar directly into a Windows app for recording. This could even include your live mic input into your interface if you want to mix it directly with the playback from Windows or Sonar.

Hope above helps in some way.

Cheers...
    post edited by ramscapri - 2017/10/15 20:26:07

Sonar Platinum ∞, HP Envy Core i7-4700 Quadcore touchscreen laptop, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit, Roland Octacapture, Zoom H6, Akai MPK Mini mk2, Novation Launchpad Mini mk2, NI Komplete 11, KRK KNS-8400, AKG P120
    zoffmeister
    Re: Screen Capture cannot hear SONAR 2017/10/16 09:31:37 (permalink)
    Hi there. Thanks for suggestions. Unfortunately I can't change to WASAPI, Apollo works with ASIO only I think.
    As far as showing multiple outputs to Windows, yes I'm pretty sure on my previous system using an RME Fireface that was the case. Obviously that doesn't happen with Apollo.

ramscapri
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 316
    Re: Screen Capture cannot hear SONAR 2017/10/16 11:10:01 (permalink)
    zoffmeister
    Hi there. Thanks for suggestions. Unfortunately I can't change to WASAPI, Apollo works with ASIO only I think.
    As far as showing multiple outputs to Windows, yes I'm pretty sure on my previous system using an RME Fireface that was the case. Obviously that doesn't happen with Apollo.

Hi Dean,

What is the Default Device selected in your Recording section tab under Sounds ? Just in case you haven't checked.

Playback is fine but for recording system or Sonar output into another app, the Default Device selection in the Recording tab is important. It needs to be your Apollo option selected as default there as well.

Sonar Platinum ∞, HP Envy Core i7-4700 Quadcore touchscreen laptop, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10 64-bit, Roland Octacapture, Zoom H6, Akai MPK Mini mk2, Novation Launchpad Mini mk2, NI Komplete 11, KRK KNS-8400, AKG P120
    gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Screen Capture cannot hear SONAR 2017/10/16 11:46:12 (permalink)
    If there is an input recording, like a line in, just route mains from your interface to that input.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    Russ.15
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: Screen Capture cannot hear SONAR 2017/10/17 06:09:21 (permalink)
    Simeon's right: using VB-Audio Banana is the way to go. I spent a couple hours this weekend trying to do the same thing, and I was able to adapt the settings in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxmEa_Qtduc to do what I needed. I'm using a Tascam Us-2x2, and the audio routing in Banana allows me to loop system audio back to Sonar as an input, as well as record Sonar's output to OBS.

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -Martin Luther

Win10 on i7-8700k w/ 16GB RAM; SPLAT (final version)
    dlion16
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 391
    Re: Screen Capture cannot hear SONAR 2017/10/17 14:05:52 (permalink)
    Back in the day, when I was doing training courses, I used a stereo cable to physically route "what I hear" back into my audio device. 

SONAR Platinum Lifetime 64-bit; Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen.; KRK Rokit 5; ASUS P9X79; INTEL I7-3820 3.6 GHZ;
    850 WATT POWER SUPPLY; EVGA NVIDIA GTX560 TI 1GB;
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit; 32GB RAM;
    2 Internal SSD Drives, 3 External USB drives.
    Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Screen Capture cannot hear SONAR 2017/10/17 14:22:31 (permalink)
    Dean, did you try unplugging your Apollo and then using your on board audio card. My screen capture program Debut works fine as long as I don't use an audio interface. 
    I am using ASIO4all, but I'm sure WASAPI would also work. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

davidt64
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re: Screen Capture cannot hear SONAR 2017/10/17 15:40:06 (permalink)
    dlion16
    Back in the day, when I was doing training courses, I used a stereo cable to physically route "what I hear" back into my audio device. 

I tired this this morning and it worked for me. I'm using a Focuscrite pro 40   with OBS
    Russ.15
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re: Screen Capture cannot hear SONAR 2017/10/18 04:25:35 (permalink)
    I threw together a quick video (with possibly the lowest production quality you've ever seen) of how to use OBS w/ VB-Audio Banana to do a video capture of Sonar. To me, this method makes more sense than trying to use physical cables, since it keeps everything in the digital realm. I hope this is helpful! https://youtu.be/ZTvcGxAtdaI

"Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world." -Martin Luther

Win10 on i7-8700k w/ 16GB RAM; SPLAT (final version)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1