Audio engine DROPOUT - more information available about cause?

Author
stickman393
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1528
2017/10/17 16:38:11 (permalink)

Audio engine DROPOUT - more information available about cause?

Hi Folks -

I upgraded my Audiority Grainspace VST from 1.1.3 to 1.2, and suddenly, SONAR causes a dropout when I try to play back or record.
Going back to 1.1.3, no problems.

I'm in contact with Audiority support about the issue, but I wondered if there is any additional information available from the SONAR side that would provide some clues about why the dropout event occurred. Is there a diagnostic mode or similar that would produce a log file or something?

3 Replies Related Threads

Keith Albright [Cakewalk]
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1117
    Re: Audio engine DROPOUT - more information available about cause? 2017/10/17 20:13:13 (permalink)
    Great question.  We had been looking into this.  I had made a local build a few months back that traced every possible way a drop out could happen.  it's not in a form that would make much sense to you all.

To get this out there, we'd likely do something via a toast with perhaps a button for more details.
    Definitely would be useful :)

Keith

Keith
    Leee
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 783
    Re: Audio engine DROPOUT - more information available about cause? 2017/10/18 02:16:25 (permalink)
    Keith Albright [Cakewalk]
    Great question.  We had been looking into this.  I had made a local build a few months back that traced every possible way a drop out could happen.  it's not in a form that would make much sense to you all.

To get this out there, we'd likely do something via a toast with perhaps a button for more details.
    Definitely would be useful :)

Keith

Thanks for looking into this issue Keith and it seems like you've already put in a lot of effort into discovering what causes these issues.

I don't want to make any extra work for you, but is there anything you can tell us about what you've come up with so far?  Like maybe the top 10 most likely causes for these drop outs?   It might give people who have no idea where to start some clues as to what to look for.

But either way, we appreciate you rolling up your sleeves and trying to come up with some answers to a very elusive problem.  And we've also had a lot of great suggestions from members and forum moderators from their own personal experiences.  They have been very helpful as well.

Lee Shapiro
    www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
    Bob E
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re: Audio engine DROPOUT - more information available about cause? 2017/10/18 06:45:55 (permalink)
    I have been having strange dropout issues also.  In trying to troubleshoot these, With a problem project open, I looked at the Sonar Browser, project files folder. I see wav files that are 4kb in size.  These files seemingly do not exist in my project, and I believe they may be causing the issues.  Still looking into it.
    When I go and try and play one of these in Transcribe (a windows audio program), I get a message that says 'can not play file, there is no data in the file,  or something like that. 

The strangeness here is, when the sonar browser window is open, and looking at the project folder, when I press play, I see 3 or 4 of these 4kb files, and when I stop playback, all the 4kb files, except one, disappears from the browser window.
    Is this strange?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/1blrmv1il2qiew5/sonar%20extra%204k%20wav%20files.mp4?dl=0
    Here's a video of this happening.

Here's a post that I posted at the end of April.  I have been having these issues since then. In my post, I mentioned that all was good until the recent update that i did at the time.  So, maybe something in the 05/2017 update. 
    (or possibly the 06/2017 update)
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/Disk-overrun-error-while-recording-but-Im-not-recording-just-playing-back-m3598716.aspx
    Thanks,
    Bob E

Bob

Sonar Platinum,  Windows 10,  Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    32 GB of Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, Motu Ultralight Firewire 1394 interface, Texas Instruments 1394 OHCI compliant Host Controller, M-Audio Axiom 25 midi interface
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1