Helpful ReplyWhat If Your Pedal Board Was Gone?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
BassDaddy
Max Output Level: -33 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4232
2017/10/19 14:59:05 (permalink)

What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone?

And in it's place was a pile of money. What would you get for your new pedal board? Would any be ones you had in you disappeared board? I have someone who will buy all or most of mine so I could start over. This could be fun.

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/19 15:26:55 (permalink)
i'd start over,
even tho i love my choices now.

reason for starting over?

i don't know, probably just for fun!

current board:

budda wah, fulltone fatboost III, barber tone press, barber direct drive super sport, fulltone deja vibe, isp decimator, tc electronics polytune, DC brick power source

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/19 15:37:16 (permalink)

just a sec

wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/19 17:54:24 (permalink)
I suddenly feel better about my pedal board! Not better enough to post a picture, but better!

To the question, I've been tweaking my pedal board for longer than I can remember - I built my first one, with independent power to and tru-bypass for each pedal, in 1974.

Today's board includes too many pedals, and I'm trying to make room for just a couple more that were retired prematurely.

There are only, maybe, two pedals I would replace at this point:
- Randy's Revenge is a really cool ring modulator, but it is different, not necessarily better than the Vitruvian Mod that currently does the job for me, and that replaced a Snarling Dogs Mold Spore and an EH Frequency Analyzer<G>!
- I have the first version of the Prometheus Envelope Follower Filter, and I'm sorely tempted to upgrade to the DLX. This replaced a string of filter pedals that included the original Mutron III, a couple versions of the Q-Tron, and the Xotic Robotalk, that probably lasted on the board longer than any of the others.

I am completely satisfied with the rest. Although there are two (I sense a pattern) pedals I am considering adding, the new Pigtronix Synth pedal and the EH Super-Ego+, but I'm just not sure I'd use them for anything other than goofing off - and there is just no room<G>!

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
wst3
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/19 17:54:29 (permalink)
Lost my post, I'll try again later. Short version, I'd pretty much replace them 1:1

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/20 09:26:13 (permalink)
Hey BassDaddy ! Yes this could be a fun topic indeed .

I have a nice pedal board (by my standards ). I spent years putting it together . 
Given the choice , at this point in time I would probably be OK just keeping the money .

I have my reasons ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/20 12:11:23 (permalink)
I use a midi pedal board into Sonar. It is pretty fun. I don't use my straight pedal board often.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/20 12:26:50 (permalink)
gswitz
I use a midi pedal board into Sonar. It is pretty fun. I don't use my straight pedal board often.

me too, one of these fellas:

just a sec

BassDaddy
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/20 15:28:31 (permalink)
Some older Behringer stuff could be unreliable but those things are still going strong. I bet you can still
get them on Ebay.

It's Bass, not Bass.
i7 2700K, 16GB DDR3, 2 SSD sample drives and OS drive, HDD SATAIII for projects, 2 24" monitors
Focusrite Saffire Pro 24, Focusrite VRM Box, LAVA Lamp, SONAR Platinum 64 bit, Mackie MCU and 1 MCU XT, Akai Advance 49, Windows 10,
Komplete 9 Ultimate, Cakewalk, Toontrack, IK, AAS, XLN, UVI, Air Music Tech, Waves Factory, Sample Tek and Sonivox VSTi's. Overloud, T-Racks, Audio Damage, D16, Nomad Factory, Waves Gold FX 
BassDaddy
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/20 15:40:59 (permalink)
Kenny and guys, I am looking to simplify and down size. I don't need all the various drive and distortion pedals. Right now I have a Tone City Sweet Cream and a J Rockett Archer. I bought a Fender Bassbreaker 15 head last spring and tell the truth you don't have to have a pedal for it. Ive been using the Sweet Cream with it through a Cannabis Rex and it is really nice. Actually way better than nice. ISD would like to see what people would get if the could get any delay, chorus and reverb pedals. The Boss chorus is still pretty good but if there are some good ones I don't know about I would love to hear. I think the midi board is something I should have any way.   

It's Bass, not Bass.
RSMCGUITAR
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1318
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/20 17:11:21 (permalink)
I would keep the Xotic EP booster, Wampler Ego Compressor and probably the Xotic BB Preamp I would probably buy the Earthquaker Devices White Light again too...
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/20 20:28:31 (permalink)
I keep mine simple, there's less chance of them breaking down.
Bass:  Boss tuner, Boss Compressor, Boss Bass Overdrive (sometimes).
Guitar:  Boss tuner, Boss overdrive, Boss Digital Delay.

And yes, they're both just piece of plywood with a power strip screwed on, and Velcro holding the pedals in place.

I've got a Boss GT-8 in a closet somewhere in case I want something different, but i never use it and don't want anything else.

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
kennywtelejazz
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/28 10:41:59 (permalink)
Hey BassDaddy !

I saw you mentioned that you have a Fender Bassbreaker 15 head . Hey Man That looks pretty nice .

Kenny 

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

BassDaddy
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/28 14:47:22 (permalink)
Kenny, it is really good. Nice reverb. The 3 voicing deally bobs are very useful. I really love it. Great clean and all the grind you could want. FX loop. The Bassbreaker 18/30 looks to be pretty nifty too. Only one that doesn't come in a head. The combos come with a 12" Celestion V Type (except the 007) and that speaker is really good with my 15.  

It's Bass, not Bass.
fret_man
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 312
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/28 19:31:55 (permalink)
I'd get a Line 6 Helix. It has 90% of the tone of analog units and most people won't notice the difference. You can lug it around without a van or breaking your back. Plus, you can dial in whatever tone you want and switch FX order (and amps) on a song-per-song basis. Very flexible. Really nice.
michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/28 23:22:33 (permalink)
BassDaddy
Kenny and guys, I am looking to simplify and down size. I don't need all the various drive and distortion pedals. Right now I have a Tone City Sweet Cream and a J Rockett Archer. I bought a Fender Bassbreaker 15 head last spring and tell the truth you don't have to have a pedal for it. Ive been using the Sweet Cream with it through a Cannabis Rex and it is really nice. Actually way better than nice. ISD would like to see what people would get if the could get any delay, chorus and reverb pedals. The Boss chorus is still pretty good but if there are some good ones I don't know about I would love to hear. I think the midi board is something I should have any way.   

I've got the Fender Bassbreaker 15 combo and I love it.  Yes, I agree with you, you really don't need any OD pedals with this amp, it sounds awesome with out.  Yet, like you, I still experiment with the clean channel and my existing pedals.  I have a Marshall Blues Breaker and a Joyo Ultimate Drive (OCD clone); both give me really nice flavors of overdrive.  I have a Boss Chorus and an MXR Carbon copy on my board as well.  I use each occasionally.  I have really not bonded with the Carbon Copy for some reason.  I don't use much delay in my tone anyway.  

However, I too have the pedal bug right now.  I saw a Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet up at GC a couple of weeks ago for $75 and almost grabbed it.  My band mate (Scandalous Grace collaboration) Sean has the same amp and grabbed the Andy Timmon's JHS AT Drive Pedal and said that he has found his holy grail.  I've got to get him to record some clips for me to hear.  

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
kennywtelejazz
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/28 23:52:12 (permalink)
BassDaddy
Kenny, it is really good. Nice reverb. The 3 voicing deally bobs are very useful. I really love it. Great clean and all the grind you could want. FX loop. The Bassbreaker 18/30 looks to be pretty nifty too. Only one that doesn't come in a head. The combos come with a 12" Celestion V Type (except the 007) and that speaker is really good with my 15.  

Nice

The Main amp I have played out of for the past 33 years + is a Fender Super Champ (the original ) .
Every  so often I have also been know to bring out my 1966 Fender Vibroluxe Reverb out to Clubs .

IMHO , when you have the right amp for the sound your looking to get you don't need a lot of stuff .

Here's a pic of my current rather humble pedal board ....pic was taken this morning

Most of my playing career the only box that has left my house has been the SD-1 . The one in the pic I've had since 1983 ...it is all I have ever needed as far as a dirt pedal goes ...
all the rest of the stuff on my board is there to keep the other people I may be playing with happy

While we are at it , here's a pic of my Gibson Historic  R8 Les Paul and my SG ....pic was also taken this morning ...

nice rapping with you ,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Bflat5
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 421
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/29 02:58:57 (permalink)
I'm pretty sure I'd replace it with the same stuff. Delay, chorus, Wah, tuner, flanger, octave and harmonizer.

All I ever really use though is the wah, tuner, delay and chorus.

Custom PC running Windows 10 64, i7 CPU, 32gigs of RAM, Focusrite 18i20, Sonar Platinum.

Jackson USA and Custom Shop Guitars and Basses
Takamine And Fender Acoustics
Marshall JVM 410H and JCM 800
BOSS FX (Mostly)
Gain Junkies Forum << Come join us. It's all about Rock & Roll!
BassDaddy
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/29 15:07:14 (permalink)
Bflat5
I'm pretty sure I'd replace it with the same stuff. Delay, chorus, Wah, tuner, flanger, octave and harmonizer.

What Brand and models would you go with?

It's Bass, not Bass.
BassDaddy
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/29 15:11:46 (permalink)
Kenny, that white P-90 SG is a hon-ey! And people can go nuts over flames and quilt but give me a plain maple top on great guitar any day.

It's Bass, not Bass.
wst3
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/29 15:51:11 (permalink)
Sorry, no pics of my current rig yet - but wanted to comment on the Line6 Helix. It's an amazing device. No, it won't replace my pedals and amplifiers - in the studio at least. I picked it up this past spring in preparation for the pit orchestra season, only to discover that none of the shows I played required an electric guitar. Oh well, there is next season.

I enjoy working with amplifiers and pedals, it's that hunt for the magic tone, and I still believe that I can get closer to what I hear in my head with the individual parts. But I also know that in a pit or (heaven help me) bar gig I'm the only one that really cares, and I'm too old to be lugging two amplifiers, two cabinets, a pedal board, the Vibratone, and multiple guitars. That's just silly!!

I can get more than close enough with the Helix, and it also addresses one of my complaints about the PodXT, I have always used two amplifiers (typically something "Fender-ish" and something "Marshall-ish". The Helix lets me do that. And it includes nearly every pedal type I can think of. I do have a Pigtronix Echolution inserted in the loop, and I'm considering inserting a handful of other pedals, but no more than I can fit on my old pedal board, which is still a bit large to lug, and the whole thing defeats the purpose of a single box I can carry in a backpack.

It ain't cheap, but I heartily recommend the Helis to any gigging guitar player!

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
Bflat5
  • Total Posts : 421
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/30 07:31:31 (permalink)
BassDaddy
Bflat5

What Brand and models would you go with?

I'm a BOSS guy. Other than the wah, that's all I have on the board. I do like Digitech and MXR FX to a degree, but BOSS gets along fine with my rig.

The Wah is the Zakk Wylde model from Dunlop. I've tried many different wahs, including various other sig models and custom mods, and this one kicks much ass.

Custom PC running Windows 10 64, i7 CPU, 32gigs of RAM, Focusrite 18i20, Sonar Platinum.

Jackson USA and Custom Shop Guitars and Basses
Takamine And Fender Acoustics
Marshall JVM 410H and JCM 800
BOSS FX (Mostly)
Gain Junkies Forum << Come join us. It's all about Rock & Roll!
kennywtelejazz
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/30 10:43:10 (permalink)
BassDaddy
Kenny, that white P-90 SG is a hon-ey! And people can go nuts over flames and quilt but give me a plain maple top on great guitar any day.

BassDaddy ! Hey man Thanks .

I Love my R 8 Plain top ....it's the real deal ....
I know this first hand because I used to play a 1960 Cherry Sunburst  that a friend of mine owned ...
The whole time he owned it he brought it out for me to play on ...regardless of how big or small the gig was....

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/31 14:44:22 (permalink)
wst3
I can get more than close enough with the Helix, and it also addresses one of my complaints about the PodXT, I have always used two amplifiers (typically something "Fender-ish" and something "Marshall-ish". The Helix lets me do that. And it includes nearly every pedal type I can think of. I do have a Pigtronix Echolution inserted in the loop, and I'm considering inserting a handful of other pedals, but no more than I can fit on my old pedal board, which is still a bit large to lug, and the whole thing defeats the purpose of a single box I can carry in a backpack.

It ain't cheap, but I heartily recommend the Helis to any gigging guitar player!

Absolutely agree...
I've had the Kemper, Axe-FX, AX8, and Helix.
The UI on the Helix is (to me) by far the best.
Prefer to edit on the Helix vs. using the editing application.

• You can use body resonance IRs (to enhance piezo equipped acoustic or electric guitars).  No, it's no going to replaced a well-mic'd acoustic in the studio... but it's an amazing improvement for live.
  • You can use snap-shots to (radically) switch rig configuration with a single switch.
  • You can create IRs of your favorite cabs (mic'd the way you prefer) and load those into Helix.  That'll get you even closer to *your* sound.
  • You can even use Helix to send MIDI notes/controllers.  Perfect for playing simple synth parts... or flying-in bits of audio.

It takes a while to get fully up-to-speed with Helix.
Once you do, and create some template type setups, it's super quick/easy to program.
Routing flexibility is also excellent.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/10/31 18:25:45 (permalink)
I use a POD X3, its what the XT should have been.

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
Magic Russ
  • Total Posts : 412
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/11/02 15:38:42 (permalink)
My pedalboard is currently a Boss GT-8 into a Line 6 DL-4.  If it disappeared, I might not notice for days because most of my time playing is done direct into Amplitube.  

Check Out my presets for Rapture Classic
http://patcharena.com/dow...5c3a1a706c5f940397d297
DeeringAmps
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2614
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/11/04 14:16:00 (permalink)
Pedal board?
We don't need no stinkin' pedal board!

Its a little hard to see but the coil cord runs direct from the Paul to the Marshall.
There are pedals on my bike though.....
T

Tom Deering
Tascam FW-1884 User Resources Page
Firewire "Legacy" Tutorial, Service Manual, Schematic, and Service Bulletins

Win10x64
StudioCat Pro Studio Coffee Lake 8086k 32gb RAM

RME UFX (Audio)
Tascam FW-1884 (Control) in Win 10x64 Pro
BassDaddy
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/11/04 17:05:14 (permalink)
LOL, I had a rig like that too. Coil cord into a Vibrolux.

It's Bass, not Bass.
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/11/04 20:11:33 (permalink)

This. 

I've never been into pedals all that much, and I never put together a board. 

I like and use these, which are hand-built back in Canada by a friend of mine.

I also use my trusty old POD HD and the effects on it. I own a Boss Super OD (first pedal I ever got in my life, actually) somewhere in a drawer.

If I had to buy one pedal, besides the above pictured Dude Screamer and Rewolver, it would be some kind of classic phaser.

I do sometimes miss my old wah.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Bajan Blue
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2029
Re: What If Your Pedal Board Was Gone? 2017/11/07 20:55:35 (permalink)
I use Lovetone pedals - I was lucky to get them when they first came out and they were similar prices to most things - now people people pay stupid money for them and I mean stupid money!!

Anyway I wouldn't change them - been playing through them for a long time and I love their sound / tone
Nigel

Nigel
Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
www.devinelie.com

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1