Phase Issues with drums parallel compression

Author
J-War
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 78
2017/10/24 06:28:56 (permalink)

Phase Issues with drums parallel compression

Hello All ! :)
I am new to parallel compression and i am trying to use this method on my drums in Sonar X3, unfortunately i experience a quite ugly and disturbing " phase effect ". ( the Plugin delay compensation is ON in sonar )

I have the regular Kick, Snare, Toms, HitHat, Overheads and Room tracks.
Those tracks direct output to a bus labelled " Dry Bus " which goes to " Drums Master Bus ".
Then, on EACH drums tracks (Kick, Snare, Toms, HitHat, Overheads and Room tracks) I've put a send with " post " button OFF to a bus labelled " Wet Bus " (which goes to " Drums Master " Bus too).

Of course, the wet bus is heavily compressed using SSL Comp with fastest attack time, bass and treble boost.

I am then blending the Wet and Dry busses, unfortunately i am not able to get rid of the annoying "phase effect".

Am i doing something wrong ? Is there a more accurate way to do this in Sonar ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best regards.
J.
post edited by J-War - 2017/10/24 08:47:58

15 Replies Related Threads

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Phase Issues with drums parallel compression 2017/10/24 12:44:59 (permalink)
    I've never had this problem and it is something I do quite a bit. One thing that I do differently is that I only have a "Drum Bus" that goes to the Master. The parallel bus outputs to the Drum bus and I blend it using the fader of the parallel compression bus. That way the drum sound doesn't change when I adjust the level of the Drum bus.

Having said all that, it really should not matter. Buses should not get out of sync like you are describing. I'd suggest trying a different compressor and if that doesn't work, take a hard look at your interface.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    petemus
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: Phase Issues with drums parallel compression 2017/10/24 12:56:42 (permalink)
    I recall having this problem as well with CA-2A for parallel drum compression a while back. Another stereo bus adjacent to the drum bus, a send from drums bus to the bus with CA-2A. Outputs of both buses to another bus.

Don't remember, if it occurred with other comps, or if I even tried then. This was on one of this year's Splat updates. Might have to do with CA-2A...

-Pete
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Phase Issues with drums parallel compression 2017/10/24 13:08:46 (permalink)
    It's not supposed to happen, but, well, as the t-shirt says "sh*t happens". Sometimes it's a plugin that is not correctly reporting its latency, so that SONAR is going on bad information to set its PDC. Often, that'll turn out to be an equalizer or filter. You say you have "bass and treble boost". Is that in the sidechain filter or the main signal path?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    J-War
    Re: Phase Issues with drums parallel compression 2017/10/24 13:25:32 (permalink)
    dcumpian
    I've never had this problem and it is something I do quite a bit. One thing that I do differently is that I only have a "Drum Bus" that goes to the Master. The parallel bus outputs to the Drum bus and I blend it using the fader of the parallel compression bus. That way the drum sound doesn't change when I adjust the level of the Drum bus.

Having said all that, it really should not matter. Buses should not get out of sync like you are describing. I'd suggest trying a different compressor and if that doesn't work, take a hard look at your interface.

Regards,
    Dan

Actualy I've put a send with " post " button OFF on each drums track so i can tune the volume of each track separately before processing the whole thing via the " Wet Drums Bus ". (For example the kick tends to get realy loud when heavily compressed)
    Do you think it's a wrong method ?
    Thanks for your anwer by the way. ;)

petemus
    I recall having this problem as well with CA-2A for parallel drum compression a while back. Another stereo bus adjacent to the drum bus, a send from drums bus to the bus with CA-2A. Outputs of both buses to another bus.

Don't remember, if it occurred with other comps, or if I even tried then. This was on one of this year's Splat updates. Might have to do with CA-2A...

-Pete

I'm using the " Waves SSL Comp Stereo " on the " Wet drums bus ". If i load another compressor like CLA76, Fabfilter Pro C2... Same problem !

bitflipper
    It's not supposed to happen, but, well, as the t-shirt says "sh*t happens". Sometimes it's a plugin that is not correctly reporting its latency, so that SONAR is going on bad information to set its PDC. Often, that'll turn out to be an equalizer or filter. You say you have "bass and treble boost". Is that in the sidechain filter or the main signal path?

That's true ! :)
    All effects are directily inserted on the " Wet drums bus ", no sidechain actualy.
    I have inserted the following EFX in that exact order:
    SSL Comp Stereo
    PuigTecEQP1A
    RBass Stereo
    Fabfilter Pro L

Thanks for your help.
    chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Phase Issues with drums parallel compression 2017/10/24 13:36:11 (permalink)
    I used to do this a little different but once AUX tracks came out I do this almost exactly the same as this video:

You might be able to alleviate the phase sound on your parallel track by clicking the phase button.
    But im not sure if that will work, it could be a slight latency what your hearing.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Phase Issues with drums parallel compression 2017/10/24 14:15:51 (permalink)
    J-War
    Actualy I've put a send with " post " button OFF on each drums track so i can tune the volume of each track separately before processing the whole thing via the " Wet Drums Bus ". (For example the kick tends to get realy loud when heavily compressed)
    Do you think it's a wrong method ?

At the end of the day, if it sounds good, it isn't wrong. That answer used to frustrate me in the beginning, but it is very true.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    J-War
    Re: Phase Issues with drums parallel compression 2017/10/24 14:29:22 (permalink)
    chuckebaby
    I used to do this a little different but once AUX tracks came out I do this almost exactly the same as this video:

You might be able to alleviate the phase sound on your parallel track by clicking the phase button.
    But im not sure if that will work, it could be a slight latency what your hearing.

Thanks for the hint but the phase button won't fix the problem !
    About AUX TRACKS, correct me if i'm wrong but i don't find such things in Sonar X3 ? I think it might be a Sonar Platinum Feature if i'm not mistaken.

dcumpian
    At the end of the day, if it sounds good, it isn't wrong. That answer used to frustrate me in the beginning, but it is very true.

Regards,
    Dan

I understand Dan, thanks for the advice. ;)

chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Phase Issues with drums parallel compression 2017/10/24 14:37:37 (permalink)
    your correct, no AUX in X3. Instead substitute for Buses
    What are you using for a soundcard ? Is it possible that, in theory your using real-time samples/tracks to feed another bus.
    If latency is poor, you will hear it.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

tnipe
    • Total Posts : 91
    Re: Phase Issues with drums parallel compression 2017/10/24 14:40:44 (permalink)
    I also experience issues with latency on parallel compression auxes when 2x oversampling is enabled. I emailed support about a month ago, but no reply so far. I get this now and then without 2x enabled also, but it usually goes away by stopping and starting playback again.
    J-War
    Re: Phase Issues with drums parallel compression 2017/10/24 14:46:33 (permalink)
    tnipe
    I also experience issues with latency on parallel compression auxes when 2x oversampling is enabled. I emailed support about a month ago, but no reply so far. I get this now and then without 2x enabled also, but it usually goes away by stopping and starting playback again.

Indeed, 2x oversampling is enabled on Fabfilter pro L on my " Wet Drums Bus ".
    I wasn't aware about this issue.
    tnipe
    • Total Posts : 91
    Re: Phase Issues with drums parallel compression 2017/10/24 15:29:10 (permalink)
    J-War
    tnipe

Indeed, 2x oversampling is enabled on Fabfilter pro L on my " Wet Drums Bus ".
    I wasn't aware about this issue.

Does disabling oversampling resolve the issue?
    Base 57
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 249
    Re: Phase Issues with drums parallel compression 2017/10/24 16:00:28 (permalink)
    This is just a workaround. 
    I would bounce the "Dry bus" and "Wet bus" to tracks. Then they can be moved into alignment and the project can be finished.
    At the least you can determine how many samples off the resulting tracks are.
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Phase Issues with drums parallel compression 2017/10/24 22:45:04 (permalink)
    One thing that's worth knowing about Sonar is that it does not have gapless playback, so doing things like turning stuff off and on during playback will often cause glitches and delays. One of these problems is that if you enable a send during playback, it will be out of phase. I get this all the time with parallel processing. It also sometimes happens when you have a loop enabled - I used to have a huge problem with using MarkBass on a send because it would always go out of phase upon the first iteration of a loop. So now I also make sure to stop playback before enabling a send.

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Phase Issues with drums parallel compression 2017/10/25 00:49:29 (permalink)
    So all you have on the parallel bus is the CA-2A? What's on the primary drum bus?

BTW, this doesn't solve the mystery, but you could avoid all this by using a different compressor. Since you're a FabFilter guy...would you happen to have Pro-C?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    bitSync
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 357
    Re: Phase Issues with drums parallel compression 2017/10/25 02:55:18 (permalink)
    Might this be relevant to your situation?  I'm not sure how your limiter plugin is configured on the parallel bus and I'm not familiar with the plugin.  You say "Waves SSL Comp Stereo" so this might not be the issue, but if the limiter is configured as a mono VST...

Using mono VST plug-ins on stereo tracks may cause out of sync audio -
    When using a mono VST plug-in on a stereo track (interleave set to Stereo), the left and right channels will be out of sync. The left channel is processed by the mono effect, and delay compensation is applied, while the right channel is not processed and does not have delay compensation applied. The signal will look something like this:
    • Left channel: Wet signal (delayed)
    • Right channel: Dry signal (no delay)

Win7 Pro x64 SP1 / SONAR Platinum x64 (latest) / Mackie d8b + D8Bridge x32 v1.1 = MCU DAW Controller / Frontier TranzPort DAW Controller / Studiocat 3.20 GHz Intel i7 950, 24 GB DDR3 1600 RAM, Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R 2.0 Mainboard, 2TB SATA3 SSD / NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT v341.95 / RME HDSP9652 PCI (ASIO) / RME ADI-8 QS / 24 bit at 44.1 / New Belgium 1554 / My Stuff

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1