Helpful Reply"best" On-Line music theory lessons?

Author
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
2017/10/26 18:37:43 (permalink)

"best" On-Line music theory lessons?

geared towards guitar, first, in general/piano second.

any ideas?

asking for someone else...

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/10/26 19:50:36 (permalink)
For free use Youtube. You're going to find you play as good or better than most of them but ignore the playing and use the info. I've been thru music college and OJT for over 4 decades and to me these were useful.  I hope they are to you too! I used YouTube for quick reference.

Dan Haerle - scroll down to the bottom of the page to Jazz hints and check out every one of them

You Tube - Jody Fisher, Rick Beato, or Claus Levin on any subject you're interested in. 

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

batsbrew
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/10/26 19:56:33 (permalink)
those links were cool!
i bookmarked those for myself...

but not what i'm looking for.
need something for a young mother to help tutor young kid working with a guitar,
but wanting to learn theory.....
something very basic.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

bayoubill
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/10/26 20:02:22 (permalink)
Are they playing electric or acoustic? Are they under 12?

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

bayoubill
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/10/26 20:06:49 (permalink)
I think learning theory from a piano keyboard works best especially for kids. It's laid out for them to see and much easier to grasp than a guitar neck.  

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

batsbrew
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/10/26 20:50:53 (permalink)
under 12, 
using an acoustic student sized guitar.

piano not an option.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/10/28 02:42:21 (permalink)
Why can't they just use a method? I would recommend shearer over Berklee. Don't make the mistake of learning chords as shapes and chord names and positions . Teach them horizontal ly from the get go.

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/10/28 10:11:10 (permalink)
eph221
Why can't they just use a method? I would recommend shearer over Berklee. Don't make the mistake of learning chords as shapes and chord names and positions . Teach them horizontal ly from the get go.

I don't understand this. Are you talking about chords, or scales?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/10/28 11:00:01 (permalink)

Every guitar book that involves a guitarist learning how to read traditional music does to some extent include "some or much music theory " as it applies to the guitar . Most offer  the rhythmic beats and the subdivisions of music ...ex 4 /4 , 3 /4 , 6 /8 , ect ect ..they all go into all of that starting with whole note and the subdivisions of measures ...
In addition to that many lesson books offer the harmonic Keys music is played in .
Such as all the accidentals for each Key Signature ....The Relative Minor and chord types ..Major , Minor , Seventh ,
Many of the traditional guitar books also include The Circle of Fifths .... and scales ...
What is it that this 12 year old expects to find that's not already out there in Spades ?

just asking

Kenny

PS when I went to my first guitar lessons the guitar teacher asked me what do you want to learn ? 
I told him I wanted to learn Secret Agent Man ...He laughed and hit me with a stack of guitar books just like the ones I'm talking about ...I never did learn Secret Agent Man of that guy ...that's another story

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/10/30 04:51:23 (permalink)
Hi,

Weird ... are planning on going backwards to becoming a child again, so the guitar sounds better and newer?

I always thought, based on the university life, that music theory" was about making people stupid and make sure they all fell into line ... like a few fascist countries I've known in my life! Let me tell you about the number of writers, painters, musicians and artists trying hard to leave those places!

I have no issues with theory ... except it telling you that you can not get out of it, and that is all you can do! The rest is about the notes and the chords! Don't try to invent anything! The professor will steal it, after giving you a C-.

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/10/30 05:06:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jamesg1213 2017/10/30 08:36:13
I'm going to guess you've never had music theory.  A better way to look at it is a way to get that song out of your head and be able to play it on an instrument (or to understand how to play someone else's song).  Nowhere does it say you HAVE to color within the lines, but now you know where the lines are.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
jamesg1213
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/10/30 08:38:01 (permalink)
Learning music theory is no different to learning spelling, punctuation and grammar so you can write.

Jyemz

soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/10/30 09:15:21 (permalink)
craigb
I'm going to guess you've never had music theory.

(sigh) Not this debate again. A lot of "theories" I don't believe in. If FLIGHT was a theory, how can so many people be flying everyday? It's a FACT! The theoretical part might be whether or not your flight arrives on time.

If MUSIC was a theory, how come I hear it everywhere? It's a FACT! If there's a theory it would be whether or not that song you're listening to right now is actually... "music".

Or am I simply confused again?

craigb
Nowhere does it say you HAVE to color within the lines,...

True!
post edited by soens - 2017/10/30 10:48:41
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/10/30 09:33:43 (permalink)
jamesg1213
Learning music theory is no different to learning spelling, punctuation and grammar so you can write.

Spellig, punkuashun and grammy are no theories. You either can or you can't!

kennywtelejazz
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/10/30 10:32:31 (permalink)
jamesg1213

I get that idea

The first 10 or 15 years of my playing was pretty much done w out reading music ...I did have a little theory ..
Then I was taught how to read and got very deep into theory ..it was all an uphill climb
Recently (about 10 years )  I didn't read music all that much ( a perishable skill )  at least all the theory stuck ....

I think a lot of times  , a lot of musicians and players start out enjoying  The Rock & Roll lifestyle where they don't have to learn or follow the rules in the first place ..
They write simple music , make money and then the day comes when they may need to share their creative process. They may now have to use a middle man such as a producer or a teacher to get their ideas out there for teaching the general public or players  their unique musical language .

Some folks and players just keep doing their own thing and find people that can adapt to their style and fit in ...
Having a really good ear and being able to pre hear songs and song structures is a skill worth its weight in GOLD.
When I played as a sideman for Andrae Crouch ( a couple of years  ) I had to think and play fast on my feet as it was all happening in real time ..it was a good experience for me ...before it went south ...

all the best,

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

jamesg1213
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/10/30 13:01:03 (permalink)
soens
craigb
I'm going to guess you've never had music theory.

(sigh) Not this debate again. A lot of "theories" I don't believe in. If FLIGHT was a theory, how can so many people be flying everyday? It's a FACT! The theoretical part might be whether or not your flight arrives on time.

If MUSIC was a theory, how come I hear it everywhere? It's a FACT! If there's a theory it would be whether or not that song you're listening to right now is actually... "music".

Or am I simply confused again?

Possibly...theory = a supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained.

The well-worn debate with Pedro seems to be that he thinks musicians should just be able to play, without learning any music theory. The fact that he doesn't seem to have managed to write, play or record even 1 bar of music in his entire life doesn't seem in the least bit ironic to him.

Jyemz

jamesg1213
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/10/30 13:07:32 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz
jamesg1213

I get that idea

The first 10 or 15 years of my playing was pretty much done w out reading music ...I did have a little theory ..
Then I was taught how to read and got very deep into theory ..it was all an uphill climb
Recently (about 10 years )  I didn't read music all that much ( a perishable skill )  at least all the theory stuck ....

I think a lot of times  , a lot of musicians and players start out enjoying  The Rock & Roll lifestyle where they don't have to learn or follow the rules in the first place ..
They write simple music , make money and then the day comes when they may need to share their creative process. They may now have to use a middle man such as a producer or a teacher to get their ideas out there for teaching the general public or players  their unique musical language .

Some folks and players just keep doing their own thing and find people that can adapt to their style and fit in ...
Having a really good ear and being able to pre hear songs and song structures is a skill worth its weight in GOLD.
When I played as a sideman for Andrae Crouch ( a couple of years  ) I had to think and play fast on my feet as it was all happening in real time ..it was a good experience for me ...before it went south ...

all the best,

Kenny

I have huge gaps in my music theory knowledge. I've reached a point where I can put together a reasonable sounding tune or collab with a guitar part for someone, but it's all within quite limited parameters. If I'd taken more time with the theory side, I know I'd be able to come up with more harmonically interesting stuff, in the same way that for example, yourself or Bayoubill can, because you know the guitar neck inside out and backwards. Still there's always time..

Jyemz

batsbrew
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/10/30 20:27:08 (permalink)
first off,
right off the bat, i said i was asking for someone else.

then, just two posts down, i clarify the situation as to who i was asking for.

my music background:
4 years of classical piano training, 
6 years of jr high and high school vocal ensemble training (my senior year vocal ensemble performed in and won a 4A statewide competition, we were good and well trained!),
42 years of self taught guitar study,
and 6 years of full time road work in which i learned literally thousands of songs,
some by music,
but most by ear.

i sure don't know everything about music theory,
but i don't let that stop me!

and for me, that's the take away...
you don't have to have tons of training or theory knowledge,
to be a natural musician,
which is what i've strived to be over all else.

but i don't teach 12 year olds,
and thought maybe someone had some specific tools that fit the bill.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

kennywtelejazz
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/10/31 01:04:08 (permalink)
jamesg1213
kennywtelejazz
jamesg1213

I get that idea

all the best,

Kenny

I have huge gaps in my music theory knowledge. I've reached a point where I can put together a reasonable sounding tune or collab with a guitar part for someone, but it's all within quite limited parameters. If I'd taken more time with the theory side, I know I'd be able to come up with more harmonically interesting stuff, in the same way that for example, yourself or Bayoubill can, because you know the guitar neck inside out and backwards. Still there's always time..

Hi James,
Don't sell your self short  . A lot of people have large Gaps in the Music Theory Dept ...myself included ...
When it comes to how much I know or think I know , my chosen path is to accept that the more I think I know the less I really know  I need to accept  that no matter what it is I'm looking to do in music , I will always have room for improvement in any musical area I may be interested in exploring ....no matter how good or bad it may be there is always room for improvement ...

People that may teach on a daily basis or folks that might compose in a traditional old school way of music creation may have an edge only in the sense from having to draw from that well more often than others .
IMHO, In the end music theory is just a tool / way of explaining things that happen in music in a scholarly way using terms that people have agreed to understand   ( that's the low end of it )
On the higher spectrum /  end of music theory , music theory is every bit as deep as advanced mathematics ...
Where somebody wants to go with that information is entirely up to them ...it's endless 

Plenty of times I have been around people that could talk a real good Game when it comes to music theory ...some of them even sounded just like Freaking Einsteins ...more often than not ...those types couldn't play their way out of a paper bag  even if their very life depended on it ...

all the best, 
Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

ToniTSnow
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/11/02 07:55:15 (permalink)
Music brings people together. Music lessons can inspire self-confidence, enhance your social life, and boost your brain power, whether you are a child, teen, or adult. Making music can be a solo act, but it is often contingent on playing with other musicians and connecting with other people. Take music lesson from the professionals like this (plus.google.com/102642981778688407461) to learn different music and also their favorite music instrument.
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/11/02 16:21:25 (permalink)

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Hatstand
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 597
Re: "best" On-Line music theory lessons? 2017/11/03 06:58:28 (permalink)
one of the benefits of knowing music theory is being able to understand the interplay between different instruments.  That and you get to join the thread complaining about Sonar's staff view :)

Sonar Platinum - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - AMD FX 8150 processor - 16Gb RAM - 27" Monitor (it's not the size that counts, it's what you do with it)
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1