Dean EVO Guitar

Author
rodman1971
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 90
2005/02/09 09:32:53 (permalink)

Dean EVO Guitar

Has anyone here played the Dean EVO? There's a lefty model coming in to a shop close to my house and I'm trying to get some reviews but haven't found any. The price is nice but I'm not sure how the quality is. I've never played Dean guitars but I'm guessing someone here has. Any input is appreciated.

13 Replies Related Threads

joe b
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 500
    RE: Dean EVO Guitar 2005/02/11 12:20:40 (permalink)
    With guitars, you usually get what you pay for (unless you buy a new Gibson, in which case you get much less than you pay for). More money usually gets you some blend of better materials, better workmanship, better feel, better sound, better re-sale value.

Play it and see if you like it. If more than one is available, play them all to see if one plays / feels better than its siblings.

People buy guitars for different reasons. If it meets your needs, great. If not, don't buy it.
    rodman1971
    RE: Dean EVO Guitar 2005/02/11 16:40:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply Joe. I totally plan on playing it once it shows up at the store. What I was interested in, however, is general quality of the instrument. A year ago I was testing out a Danelectro and loved the sound and looks, but I kept hearing bad things about the components (except for the pick-ups of course). I didn't buy because of that, which I still regret because it was cheap and sounded cool as hell. Anyway, I absolutely agree about reserving judgement until you get to take it out for a spin.
    joe b
    RE: Dean EVO Guitar 2005/02/11 17:07:27 (permalink)
    I guess the sub-text of my advice is, don't expect a lot of quality in cheap instruments.

My gold standard for acoustic guitars under $1,000 is Seagull (manufactured by Godin). I don't know if they have any leftie models.
    nbnspire
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Dean EVO Guitar 2005/02/12 21:38:21 (permalink)
    I have a Dean EVO. I got it a few years ago when I wanted to learn to play electric. I play pretty much only acoustic, but wanted something to thrash around on so I went for the "cheaper" EVO. It's not a bad guitar, but definitely not the best. I've had some little problems out of the coil taps, and the tuners should probably be replaced. Of course you could replace the pickups, but then you might as well buy you a Epi Les Paul or something like that. If you're looking at something just to thrash on, it's fine for that. I really haven't had any "technical" problems out of it though. It seems pretty solid.

NB

Nelson Benton
    www.nspirestudio.com
    rodman1971
    RE: Dean EVO Guitar 2005/02/13 08:07:23 (permalink)
    Thanks Nelson. Out of curiosity, do you have the "generic" EVO (for lack of a better adjective)? I know they start pretty cheap, but the one I'm looking at - the lefty Special Select - sells for $550. I checked the Dean website and a few of their EVO models (there are several) have generic no-name components. I'm wondering if the Special Select, with the Grover Tuners, Zebra p/u and nickel hardware may be a step up in quality. Obviously I'm aware that this is no Gibson LP, but unfortunately I don't have $1,000+ to dish out on a guitar... as much as I'd love one. Anyway, I should be able to test one out sometime this week once it arrives at my "neighborhood" music store.

Here's a link to the Special Select on the Dean site - Dean EVO Special Select
    BlindDog
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 985
    RE: Dean EVO Guitar 2005/02/13 10:46:36 (permalink)
    If your budget is $550, you might do well to check out the Epi LP for comparison.

-Kevin
    Accidents "happen". Success, however, is planned and executed.
    joe b
    RE: Dean EVO Guitar 2005/02/14 12:21:34 (permalink)
    Now, why did I think you were shopping for an acoustic? Sorry...

BlindDog's advice about the Epi LP makes sense to me, especially if you like the neck, because you can always come back later and upgrade the pickups / wiring (or, you might like them fine as is).

One avenue I would consider if I were in your place is a Washburn, for the simple reason that they come with the Buzz Feiten tuning system. E.g., http://www.washburn.com/electrics/x/x30.htm As always, you can always upgrade the pickups if you don't like them...

All the above assumes you can get something in a lefty, but I don't know if you can.

As for the Dean, I would think a sub-$2,000 guitar with figured maple (I assume it is a veneer, but still, that is some expensive wood!) is seriously scrimping on quality somewhere. If I can't afford the whole package, I would trade off the eye candy for a player any day. If the scrimping is on pickups, wiring harnesses, and replaceable hardware, no big deal - you eventually end up with a $1000 guitar but get to pay for it in upgrades as you go along. However, if they scrimp on tone woods, poor necks, bad fret jobs, poor quality control of the manufacturing process, etc., you would do better just to leave it alone - and, remember, by the time you get around to trying to sell it, its reputation in the market will be well-known.

Speaking of which, have you heard from anyone who has had one for a couple of years?
    rodman1971
    RE: Dean EVO Guitar 2005/02/14 16:21:46 (permalink)
    I think this particular model is pretty new so I haven't even come across many reviews or anyone who owns one. I totally agree on choosing quality over looks. I actually don't love the birds-eye maple finish. What caught my attention is that it has decent components for the price range. I'll ask around about the Epi Les Paul. The few people I know who play LP's all have Gibson models, which I just can't afford right now.
    joe b
    RE: Dean EVO Guitar 2005/02/14 17:48:08 (permalink)
    I googled "left handed guitars." Pretty interesting. E.g., http://www.zzounds.com/cat--2645. Lots more hits than that one. I hadn't thought about Ibanez. Might be worth a look (Unless you want to go straight for the Flying V - did I ever tell you I am so old that I once saw Wishbone Ash in concert?)
    rodman1971
    RE: Dean EVO Guitar 2005/02/14 22:10:01 (permalink)
    I suppose it would be easy to find a lefty Epi LP Standard at the local Guitar Center and try it out. I did some reasearch and they're pretty well received. It may just make sense to spend an extra $100 to get closer to the real deal.
    burak
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: Dean EVO Guitar 2005/02/15 01:37:18 (permalink)
    I haven't tried any of the EVO models, but I tried one their (Deans) Telecaster style guitars, which was better than i expected.
    The wood and the workmanship was nice, pickups could have been upgraded.
    nbnspire
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Dean EVO Guitar 2005/02/15 08:22:53 (permalink)
    Out of curiosity, do you have the "generic" EVO (for lack of a better adjective)?

No, I have the EVO Special. It's not the select, but still the special. Like I said, it's not a bad guitar by any means, in fact I am quite happy with it, I really love the way it looks, but as you mentioned it's not a Gibson LP. I think the pickups are my only really big complaint. The stock ones are not that great. The whole coil tap thing just is a waste as far as I'm concerned. It's definitely worth looking at in that price range. I have both the EVO and an EPI Les Paul, and they probably get even playing time.

I don't mean to discourage you from the guitar, really it's a good guitar. Sorry if I came across negative on it. I was just relaying my thoughts on what would've made it a "better" guitar...of course then it wouldn't be in our price range would it?

Mine was about $500 when I bought it a couple of years ago.

Good luck.
    NB

Nelson Benton
    www.nspirestudio.com
    randy10357
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Dean EVO Guitar 2006/02/07 16:59:19 (permalink)
    I have been gigging with a Dean EVO Special Select Lefty for a couple of years. No problems, great action,good workmanship for the dollars. IMO, much better than the Epi. I have owned Carvin, Epi, Raven, Washburn, Yamaha and Fenders and prefer this for bang for the buck.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1