Helpful ReplyThings Disappearing ... Serious Windows 10 Question

Author
quantumeffect
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2771
2017/10/31 14:51:42 (permalink)

Things Disappearing ... Serious Windows 10 Question

I was organizing folders on my Desktop by moving them to Documents.  When I moved the folder I didn’t check to see if there was a folder with the same name in Documents.

There was a folder with the same name in Documents.  When I moved the folder it disappeared from Desktop as expected, but the folder (and its files) did not appear in any form in Documents.  All of the files, constituting several semesters’ worth of work disappeared.

I have actually been able to reproduce the issue:
I created two folders with identical names (TEST), one folder on my Desktop and one folder in Documents.
I then saved a Word doc in the folder on my desk top called Test A and a Word doc in the folder in Documents called Test X.
In File Explorer I dragged the TEST folder with the Word doc in it from my Desktop to Documents.
I was not informed of duplicate folders by Windows.
The TEST folder on my Desktop disappeared (as expected).
When I opened the TEST folder in Documents the only file in it was Test X.
File Test A originally in the TEST folder on my Desktop disappeared.
Any suggestions on recovery?

Dave

8.5 PE 64, i7 Studio Cat, Delta 1010, GMS and Ludwig Drums, Paiste Cymbals

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

"His chops are too righteous."  Plankton during Sponge Bob's guitar solo 
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Things Disappearing ... Serious Windows 10 Question 2017/10/31 15:27:53 (permalink)
The makers of Ccleaner make a free app called Recuva. It's pretty good at finding lost files, even those that went through the recycle bin.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Things Disappearing ... Serious Windows 10 Question 2017/10/31 15:30:49 (permalink)
That's scary. Haven't seen those kinds of problems since DOS 4.0 and Netware days when files would be randomly corrupted.

I have, however, had files simply not be moved via dragging. I'd get the little animation, but nothing was copied. Fortunately, the original files were intact. Never been a big fan of drag 'n drop - too easy to screw up, e.g. accidentally dropping files into a subdirectory. Most of the time I use XCOPY or MOVE commands in a DOS window. That's never failed me.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
2:43AM
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1147
Re: Things Disappearing ... Serious Windows 10 Question 2017/10/31 16:23:37 (permalink)
I just tried your replicated error, and Win10 automatically combined/merged the two TEST folders in the Documents folder, but keeping BOTH word files.  So, not sure what's going on with your Windows build.  As for not seeing the "warning," you can change that by going into FOLDER OPTIONS and unchecking the "Hide Folder Merge Conflicts" option in the VIEW tab.

ampfixer
The makers of Ccleaner make a free app called Recuva. It's pretty good at finding lost files, even those that went through the recycle bin.

+1 on Recuva.  I've used it with success.  The trick is to use it early, immediately after the file loss.
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Things Disappearing ... Serious Windows 10 Question 2017/10/31 17:17:10 (permalink)
I just tried this and like 2:34AM, Windows automatically merged the two folders and kept a copy of each document in the new merged folder. So I don't know where your missing file is going. 

However I was surprised that there was no merge warning by default. Did that change? I could swear that Windows always warned the user if moving a folder or file to a location where the same name folder or file exists. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Things Disappearing ... Serious Windows 10 Question 2017/10/31 17:18:32 (permalink)
sharke
I just tried this and like 2:34AM, Windows automatically merged the two folders and kept a copy of each document in the new merged folder. So I don't know where your missing file is going. 

However I was surprised that there was no merge warning by default. Did that change? I could swear that Windows always warned the user if moving a folder or file to a location where the same name folder or file exists. 

That seems to come and go, sometimes I'll get the warning, sometimes Windows will just add a (1) to the file name.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Things Disappearing ... Serious Windows 10 Question 2017/10/31 17:48:29 (permalink)
To add to the above, if you have a folder called "WHATEVER" and then assign your Pictures library to it (by right-clicking, selecting Properties, then changing the destination - an excellent way to get personal data off your OS drive by the way), you will see the folder show up as "Pictures" even though it's still called "WHATEVER" behind the scenes.

I've also run into the situation where the library folders you see from File Explorer are NOT the actual ones under your "User" directory!  Gee, that's not confusing at all, ya? 

When you add that to the fact that Windows likes to keep certain personal data buried in hidden folders on your OS drive that you can't see by default and typically don't even know exist (mail files for example), well...  Windows is a mess!

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: Things Disappearing ... Serious Windows 10 Question 2017/10/31 18:17:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby craigb 2017/10/31 19:48:11
craigb
When you add that to the fact that Windows likes to keep certain personal data buried in hidden folders on your OS drive that you can't see by default and typically don't even know exist (mail files for example), well...  Windows is a mess!

The irony is that by trying to make things appear "simple" for the most absolutely clueless users, they have made it a confusing mess for anyone who knows enough to navigate a folder tree. 

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
quantumeffect
Re: Things Disappearing ... Serious Windows 10 Question 2017/10/31 18:34:55 (permalink)
Unfortunately, it did not (or at least it did not successfully) merge the folders and it did not rename it (1).

If I go into File Explorer and then to Quick Access it shows under Recent Files both Word Docs, Test A and Test X, BUT they both appear as if they are in - "This PC\Documents\TEST".

Test A does not show up in Quick Access in - "This PC\Desktop\TEST" - where it originated.

When I click on Test X while in Quick Access -> Recent Files it opens in Word.
When I click on Test A while in Quick Access -> Recent Files I get "This File Could Not Be Found".

This suggests to me that Windows attempts to merge the folders containing the files but somehow corrupts them in the process??? 

I will try Recuva later tonight and let you know how it goes.

Here is my Laptop OS info:

Edition - Windows 10 Home
Version - 1703
OS Build - 15063.674
It is a 64 bit OS that originally came with Windows 7.  It was a bear installing 10.

Dave

"Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974. It's a scientific fact." H. Simpson

paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Things Disappearing ... Serious Windows 10 Question 2017/10/31 20:44:54 (permalink)
bitflipper
Never been a big fan of drag 'n drop - too easy to screw up, e.g. accidentally dropping files into a subdirectory. 

@OP My first thought was if this is what had happened ? It would explain the lack of dupe file warning. Silly question maybe, but have you tried running a search for it or just assumed that it's gone because it isn't where you think you put it? Yeah, I know....but we all sometimes miss what is staring us in the face.

Thinks to self...........I wonder who is going to be first to mention back-up copies ?

quantumeffect
Re: Things Disappearing ... Serious Windows 10 Question 2017/11/05 22:33:03 (permalink)
Thank you for the tip on Recuva ... I did go ahead and buy the $20 version of Recuva and it did exactly what it said it was going to do.

Unfortunately, the files that it recovered could not be opened in Word or Excel.  Most likely because a couple of days had gone by and there was damage done.

In any event, what Recuva did show me was the last path the files had taken (e.g., This PC\Desktop\...) before they disappeared.  The files that Recuva found had a last path that was not the path to the folder I intended when I dragged and dropped them.

So, my guess is that my Windows was corrupted and when I used drag and drop in File Explorer as described in my original post (unintentionally into a folder with the same name) it attempted to place the files into folders other than the one I wanted and ultimately either lost or corrupted them.

Bummer. 

Dave

Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Things Disappearing ... Serious Windows 10 Question 2017/11/06 19:44:08 (permalink)
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is something you want to look at ... 

Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures and Videos are ... sort of like "System Folders" ... and they have a tendency to force everything in there regardless.

What I do, is take everything away from those folders. I have, on a separate computer a folder for "Files Copy" and in there I have a copy of everything I do. On the main computer, it's still "Files", and that is where everything goes from each program, though things like Sonar are a pain in the arse with stuff from here to the moon and back, as are a couple of other music programs.

It also makes it easier to back up everything ... you only need to back up that folder since you can reload all the programs easy enough, and leaves less locations and spots to get corrupted in the computer all around.

It's a headache, for example, as I like to place my downloads in a particular place and while I can find a way to dictate the "downloads" folder to be the same as my "Wow Addons" folder and "Music Addons" Folder, and it will be fine for a few days, and then when you shut off the computer and it restarts the next day, upon entering into the house network, it changes things and the Downloads folder is no longer associated with the two folders listed. I just move all my downloads now to where I want them, and case is closed ...

There are certain things that you can't get around in Windows very well, and it is all a part of the program that Windows folks think you are stupid and would not know a download folder from toilet paper for your butt. It's beyond ridiculous, but as Windows has gotten better, one of the things it also did is hide things better, too! And this was one of them. Makes one ask why, and I can not find an answer other than ... we're stupid ... and it's always EUS issues!

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Things Disappearing ... Serious Windows 10 Question 2017/11/06 20:01:23 (permalink)
You don't need to do any of that Pedro.  All you need to do is assign a new location to those shortcuts.  Just right-click on "My Documents" for example, then select Properties and change "Location" to a new place.  Typically, you'll want to have things on a separate hard drive from the OS drive.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Things Disappearing ... Serious Windows 10 Question 2017/11/07 14:19:42 (permalink)
craigb
You don't need to do any of that Pedro.  All you need to do is assign a new location to those shortcuts.  Just right-click on "My Documents" for example, then select Properties and change "Location" to a new place.  Typically, you'll want to have things on a separate hard drive from the OS drive.

That's exactly what I did at first ... but the networking issues were causing problems and these folders were disappearing.

It's just much easier now ... I only have one location for everything ... and one copy to handle of that folder once a week or so ... and I rarely lose much ... 

However, the issues might be related to the 32-bit W10 I had installed, and the issue seemed to dry up some with the 64-bit redo, however, I am not trusting Windows, and I would rather create my own folder, than have Windows decide for me where to place things, which has a tendency to spread things so far apart, with links and shortcuts, that it makes it too hard to find and backup things.

When you write, losing a chapter or two is not a big deal, but sometimes ... I just wanna wring the neck of that programmer ... you know what I mean? So, I depend on my OWN decisions, not Windows'.

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1