A new Pugtones tune.

Author
MarkusClinus
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 710
2017/11/02 01:36:27 (permalink)

A new Pugtones tune.

This is the first new song Warren and I have done in almost a year. We added an organ player on this one - my lifelong friend Dan Bates who has played with everyone from Cold Blood to Frank Sinatra.

Warren wrote this one and recorded an acoustic version of this years ago - I got a hold of it and turned it into an electric version. Warren sang this one and played bass - I played guitar and as I mentioned, Dan played B3 organ.

Broke Again Blues.

https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&songid=13650452&q=hi&newref=1

post edited by MarkusClinus - 2017/11/04 18:19:35

Mark
(formerly CLEAN)
THE PUGTONES

24 Replies Related Threads

eph221
    Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4665
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/02 06:20:24 (permalink)
    I'd like to hear this live. Pretty basic blues, but lyrics are great

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
     Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
    32GB RAM
    WINDOWS 10
    My Ass
    Cubase 9.5

daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/02 10:40:48 (permalink)
    Great performances, recording and mix guys
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/02 17:39:30 (permalink)
    Starts with nice down and dirty blues feel, good recording job, nice to hear you and Warren some nice organ touches from your friend Dan, thanks for sharing. 

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    MarkusClinus
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 710
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/02 23:07:31 (permalink)
    eph221 - thank you - I agree would be a good tune in a down and dirty bar with a few beers in your gut.

daryl - thanks man. I haven't recorded anything with Warren for about a year - so I got some practice time in.

wook - good to see you - hope all is good with you. Thanks for taking the time to listen.

Mark
    (formerly CLEAN)
    THE PUGTONES

Lynn
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6117
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/02 23:34:05 (permalink)
    Wow, I don't think I've ever heard you guys sound better.  It makes me want to go back for more.  Everything just pops.  

All the best,
    Lynn

my songs
    www.soundclick.com/lynnwilson

www.youtube.com/lywilson
    my videos

Cakewalk by Bandlab| Sonar Platinum @ 64bits| i7 860 | 8 gigs ram | W10 @ 64 bits | RME FF 400
    markno999
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1450
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/03 18:11:14 (permalink)
    Great track gents.   Everything in the mix sounds good and that organ really pops.     Guitar solo really shines, thumbs up.

Regards 
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/03 18:18:57 (permalink)
    Welcome back Pugtones  Well executed blues with some nice arrangement touches. Cool guitar tones, and the vocal delivery is perfect.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/03 21:27:22 (permalink)
    Nice one Mark, and Warren, of course

Always worth putting five minutes aside to listen to a Pugtones tune

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    Serious_Noize!
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 950
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/04 00:40:11 (permalink)
    Listening now and commenting while listening. THE INTRO, Classic and already interested in hearing the rest!

Cops and breaking down doors! COOL!

NO TRAP DOOR! Damn it man!

Man, sorry to hear about losing your last DIME!

Last DIME words, that is some OLD SCHOOL STUFF, for as much as I hate to say, year it is, there are no pay phones anymore. 

I LOVE the VIBE on this song, it's FOR REAL where the story line goes. 

MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE THE LAST COMMENT!!!!!!!!!! "Sometimes you've just got to let the MONEY GO!!!!", I can relate to that one, believe me. 

Enjoyed hearing this one very much!!!!!!!!

Bobby

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
    String Jammer
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 487
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/04 23:43:57 (permalink)
    Niiiiiice!!!!!!!!!! Love it!!!!!!
    post edited by String Jammer - 2017/11/23 21:57:31
    emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/05 18:14:27 (permalink)
    Cool tune. Nice B3. Guitar tones excellent. Vocal performance a notch above! Lyrics are cool and unusual.
    Don't poach the grouper, kids. That's my takeaway.

Mix-wise, I wanted the excellent vocal to be a little louder, all the way through. However, I remember certain spots where it sounds like the singer got closer to the mic, and if you increase the vocal's volume globally then those louder spots will put your limiter to the test.

As it is, with those excellent blues-grunge guitar tones, I think there are spots where they seem to push the limiter hard and maybe there is a little distortion/clipping? Maybe just a little, maybe when the singer hits a growl and the kick drum comes in? Maybe 1:50 - 2:05 area? Or in the intro, does it get a little crispy? I can't tell if it's a little clipping or a lot of nice distortion  :)  And you've got a guitar hard panned so maybe it just adding up to be too much for that one side. I dunno. 

I have another stupid comment. What you have is bone-dry as far as atmosphere is concerned. Blues in the studio. You might take a handheld recorder (zoom h2n or equivalent) down to the local bar. Turn the thing on. Order a black and tan or equivalent. Record five minutes of atmosphere. Turn off recorder. When you are ready, go home and lay the bar atmosphere subtly under your track.

I really liked your song, very tasty.

-Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/05 19:08:34 (permalink)
    LOVE THAT TONE! Can't stop my leg! 
    YEAH! THIS ROCKS! GO MARK!!!! What a voice Warren
    i just love B3s
    Great song Great recording guys!!!
    THANKS for posting

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/06 14:39:37 (permalink)
    I could not really understand the lyrics. Vocal could come up. Vocal seem uneven in volume. Maybe slap Waves Vocal Rider on it?

The rest of the mix is spot on.
    Makke
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 617
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/06 15:50:56 (permalink)
    Great blues track. Nice groove and sounds. Good job!

My english  is not very good. So please, forgive me for my short posts. 

BullHill Sounds

Sonar  /  Roland Quad-Capture interface
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/07 23:03:26 (permalink)
    Groovin'....   Great blues vibe all around.  And yeah, the guitars sound awesome and authentic.  Then again, everything sounds pretty good. 

Mix-wise I'd love to hear that ambience Tom suggested - move the band to a "club" and really give it that live audience feel.  They'd love it too.  

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/08 19:36:34 (permalink)
    i really dig, how you guys held the meter back on this one...
    reminded me of early Zztop, they were/are so good at the slower groovy blues vibes.

the addition of the b3 stuff, is just perfect.

i like the choice of the drum kit on this one.

excellent guitar solo

really, great performances all around.
    warren digs in this vocal....

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/08 22:07:10 (permalink)
    HOT DOG --- y'all flat nailed the down and dirty blues on this number.  Everything on this is just plain ol' good.  Mark -- great guitar playing (love those "walk downs" you put in the first part of the lead break) and excellent job on the mix.  Warren -- glad to see you back on the forum.  The lyrics are great and tell a traditional story, and your vocals really put the emotion in the story.  The organ is also a terrific touch.

This was an absoflippinlutely fun treat to hear.
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/13 22:57:39 (permalink)
    Lynn-Thanks, man.  It's been awhile since we got up here.  We appreciate you listening and commenting.  I'm gonna look and see if you have something up here.  I always like your music!

Mark- Thanks for listening and commenting. Pleasure to hear from you.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    evadianepug
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/17 20:04:59 (permalink)

James- Kind words!  Thanks for listening and commenting.
    Andy- Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!
    Bobby- How ya been?  I am pretty convinced you listened to the lyrics.  I am glad you enjoyed and related to some of them.  I hope you are well!  Thanks.
    Scotty-Glad you had time to listen and comment cause I know you are usually peddlin' trucks, goofin' on two wheels or fiddlin' around!

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    SonarX3
    evadianepug
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/17 20:55:04 (permalink)

Tom (ES)- Thanks for the in depth analysis.  We really appreciate it.  Mark does all that button pushing and knob turning so I am sure he is reading this thoroughly.  Thanks again for listening and commenting!

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    SonarX3
    evadianepug
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/20 21:01:57 (permalink)
    Bill- Thanks for listening and for the great comments! 
    Ed- Thanks for listening and for the suggestions.  I am sure Mark pays attention to all the suggestions.  We appreciate it!
    Makke- Thanks for listening and commenting!
    Steve- You know, I have never played that song live.  I will check with Mark.  I like the idea of making it sound more live.  Thanks!  Tom (emerald soul) suggested that also. 

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    SonarX3
    ABull
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1161
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/20 21:05:12 (permalink)
    Groovalicous -- I really like that guitar tone -- excellent job all around !!
    ===================================================================
    Meet The Barnacles
    (not the Fab Four but the Terrible Three)

Captain Able was once again manning the bridge on the mightly Songship as it plowed through the putrid soundwaves on the roiling -- but never rocking -- Sea of Sterile Pastiche.  Suddenly, Able heard an all too familiar sound coming from the hull of the ship -- an irritating droning croaking whiny sound that cheapened the senses.  Able quickly covered his ears while shouting to his navigator "It's those damned Barnacles -- they're trying to sully and sink the Songship.  Full speed ahead!"

Down below, The Barnacles -- Blahpoop, Steryl69, and Synkophant -- were desperately attempting to cling to the Songship in order to sink the towering song vessel.  And, as usual, they were accompanied by their faithful floating beta consorts, The Attaboys, led by Dymm with assistance from EphYOU.

As The Barnacles attached their tentacles to the hull of the Songship, they unleashed  a torrent of (f)artless lyrics which were delivered in a tuneless -- although auto-tuned -- fashion.  These dirges, sung without style, were accompanied by tinker toy faux reggae sounds which were grounded by thumps.  The Attaboys circled and cooed encouragement in the murky waters surrounding the Songship.

Able called out for the crew to ready for battle.  Soon, the air on deck sparkled as the Songship's crew played melodic song after song in various styles and arrangements.  Tuneful vocals singing well-versed lyrics rang out with resonance and interesting phrasing.  There was no need for auto-tune and the like.  Confronted again with the Songship's lack of banality, The Barnacles were driven into a furor.  Their only was to increase the volume of their monkey-like screeching.  In the midst of this cacophony The Attaboys -- having been given strict orders through underwater sonar messaging -- fell silent.

Nearly overcome by the mediocrity assaulting his ears, Captain Able deftly guided the Songship away from the area where The Attaboys were floating.  He then ordered the crew to increase the melodic sounds emanating from the deck.  Overcome by contact with actual talent, The Barnacles could not sustain their attack and fell from the hull into the swirling soundwave abyss. The Attaboys, floating leaderless, continued to comment amongst themselves about The Barnacles' greatness, but to no avail.  The Barnacles lay quiet at the bottom of the Sea of Sterile Pastiche, brought down once again by their own banality.

The Songship continued gliding into fresher waters guided by the most able Captain Able as new sounds were carried by fresh breezes across the newly christened Sea of Good Songs.
    post edited by ABull - 2019/01/16 20:54:58
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/22 07:58:36 (permalink)
    Hey Guys,

Wow, there's nothing like a good old down 'n dirty, gritty blues song in my book!

Great playing, dynamite vocals, perfect guitar tone and tasty guitar solos along with a cool sounding vintage blues mix.

The organ was the icing on the cake!  I can almost smell stale cigarette smoke, spilled beer and the blood on the floor of a back alley basement blues club!

Super job, guys, always good to hear a new one from the Pugtones!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Bob

evadianepug
    Re: A new Pugtones tune. 2017/11/24 19:52:34 (permalink)

Rob-Thanks for the in depth listen.  Everything you said makes me, us, feel good.  I still can't get that picture  to work.  It's been 2 years since I was at your house.  I am knocking off the live band work, unless they really need me enough to pay well!  LOL.  I like your ZZ TOP reference.  I never thought of it.  Be well, buddy and come on down! 

Fredster- Thanks, buddy , I am glad to see you are still kickin around here.  I saw a FreddyJ tune a minute ago.  I am heading that way!

Allen- thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!

Bobby O- Thanks, man.  You have a nice signature panel.  Colorful and there you are!  Love it!

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    SonarX3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1