pickups with seperate outs.

Author
Kamikaze
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3013
2017/11/12 04:57:35 (permalink)

pickups with seperate outs.

I have a Jazz bass and the tone pot is dead, does nothing (r maybe ding everything). I don't gig or anything, it just goes straight into my laptop. I've wondered before about how useful having each pickup having it's own output. Processing each separately in sonar. So I'm thinking instead of fixing it, using the hole in the plate for the tone pot t add anther jack out.

Does anyone have guitars or basses set up this way?

3 Replies Related Threads

jerrydf
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 280
    Re: pickups with seperate outs. 2017/11/12 10:48:43 (permalink)
    No I don't have separate pick-up outputs, but I do customise my 6-strings a bit with switched pots, split humbuckers etc. On stage, these switches rarely get used, and I stick to the standard configurations.  
    I would say if it's between you and your laptop, by all means go for it as an experiment.  However, the need for this is rather limited even for a six string where it probably makes more sense, and maybe some stage-stereo effects could be achieved. I think some Gibson ES-335 derivatives did this (ES-345, I think.  The "S" is not stereo in this case, but "Spanish", that's a different story). For a bass I would think the mod would be even more limiting unless you're going for some real exotic tonal variations, very melodic bass patterns, slap-bass, etc.  If I were you, when you have your soldering iron out, I'd go for a straight pot replacement for that errant tone control. It'll only be a few dollars.  But if you want to experiment with separate outputs, go the extra dollar for a stereo jack and replace your current mono jack.  All of this is only a few minute's job and completely reversible.  

Still, I'd be interested in what you do, and what effects you get.

Jerry

i5 6500 3.2GHz; 16GB; Win10 on SSD1; recording and samples on SSD2;  + 3 other HDDs; 2 monitors in landscape;  back with CbB and also Cubase 10 Pro,  Komplete 11, Steinberg UR22.
    Instruments: Various fretboards and amplifiers.
    Listen to ... Cosmic Two-Step (2017)
    Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: pickups with seperate outs. 2017/11/12 12:15:26 (permalink)
    I think some Rickenbackers Basses have they stereo style out too.

I'm not looking to do anything crazy with fx just seek a good tone. I often roll off the Bridge PU preferring the neck, and feel if it have a separate tone pot, I'd tone it down, whilst increasing it's volume. If I had 2 Outs, the neck could go through an amp sim, and the bridge could be the DI and treated with filters or EQ to sit with the other.

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: pickups with seperate outs. 2017/11/12 14:42:24 (permalink)
    You don't see it done often, but it has become common practice to sample pickups separately in sampled guitars. Orange Tree Samples' Rick is a good example of what that does for you, and it's not just because you can emulate the Rick-O-Sound feature. I think the only reason it's not common practice with real guitars is the practical hassle of duplicate jacks, tone controls, cables and amplifiers.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1