Helpful ReplyTracking a piano player's eyes

Author
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
2017/11/12 15:45:21 (permalink)

Tracking a piano player's eyes

This was pretty cool. They had two pianists, one a seasoned pro and the other his student, wear cameras that track eye movements to record what they're looking at while playing.

This was interesting to me as a keyboardist who's never given much thought to it. I am aware, though, that I tend to look at where my hands are headed next, rather than where they are at the moment.

But I'd have been a terrible subject for their experiment because I almost always play with eyes closed. Technology doesn't yet exist that will show what I'm picturing in my head while playing, and I'm not sure I'd want anyone to know.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Tracking a piano player's eyes 2017/11/12 15:55:54 (permalink)
I don't, under any circumstances, want to see what's in your head Dave.
bapu
Re: Tracking a piano player's eyes 2017/11/12 15:56:38 (permalink)
Typically when I'm playing my eyes are tracking the BECAN. uh duh!
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Tracking a piano player's eyes 2017/11/12 16:02:13 (permalink)
I hear Stevie Wonder is a lousy sight-reader.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
bapu
Re: Tracking a piano player's eyes 2017/11/12 16:02:59 (permalink)
craigb
I hear Stevie Wonder is a lousy sight-reader.

Does he play with his eyes closed like Dave?
Moshkito
Max Output Level: -37.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3765
Re: Tracking a piano player's eyes 2017/11/12 20:14:15 (permalink)
bitflipper
This was pretty cool. They had two pianists, one a seasoned pro and the other his student, wear cameras that track eye movements to record what they're looking at while playing.

And now, it's time to go listen to Rachel Flowers.

I'm not sure, and I do not believe it, that most music is "eye" dependent. It would take out Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, and so many others ... for some, it's about something else, and when you hear Rachel do the complete "Tarkus" on piano, and so many other pieces of music, including live performance doing Frank Zappa, and then doing Robert Fripp and then ... it's ****ing insane.

There is a side of the "arts" that is not visual for some of us ... it's internal ... and how Rachel even does all this, is not something that she can even explain clearly on some of the interviews ... in the meantime, we could say that she has an amazing memory ... but I seriously doubt it's all memory ... there is more of something else in there ... that we can not relate to at all!

Very cool, though ... but we can easily take this to guitarists ... when I saw Stevie Ray Vaughn, he almost never looked at his guitar when he was simply flowing along ... it was sort of like he had to have a particular feel, and when he got it, he had to follow it. Robert Fripp, though, seems to keep his eyes on the monitor, which seems to suggest that is his "keyboard" and he can adjust his hand on the guitar as needed ... but this is strange and different for so many of them ... I was just watching Edgar Froese do a solo with Linda Spa, and he had his eyes on a basic position, and then he would close them while playing some parts, as if wanting to get a specific feel from his fingers that his eyes watching them would take away. Manuel Gottsching, is a bit different, in that it looks like he is looking at his fretting hand, but it seems like it never moves, and yet his hands are all over the place, and when he solos with Klaus Schulze in those really long pieces, it's like ... what is he listening to and what is he seeing? It's hard to tell ... I think he is more concentrated on listening to Klaus at that point than he is concerned with his fingers even though he is doing something with them ... 

Nothing is the same ... it's all very different.

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Tracking a piano player's eyes 2017/11/12 20:16:37 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2017/11/12 21:44:48

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: Tracking a piano player's eyes 2017/11/12 21:53:53 (permalink)
And that's why i suck at it.
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Tracking a piano player's eyes 2017/11/13 00:24:30 (permalink)

Woof Woof

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Tracking a piano player's eyes 2017/11/13 00:55:44 (permalink)
Kenny makes a good point (and she probably makes a couple).  Keep those eye trackers away from me!!! 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
bapu
Re: Tracking a piano player's eyes 2017/11/13 14:18:02 (permalink)
kennywtelejazz

Woof Woof

Kenny

Kenny,

It's pretty inappropriate to call (via innuendo) women dogs now days.

HTH

kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: Tracking a piano player's eyes 2017/11/13 23:21:51 (permalink)
bapu
kennywtelejazz

Woof Woof

Kenny

Kenny,

It's pretty inappropriate to call (via innuendo) women dogs now days.

HTH

Interesting Logic you have there Ed .

Since I'm the one doing all the barking . That makes me the dog not her

Happy to clear that one up for you ...Next ?

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

emeraldsoul
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1858
Re: Tracking a piano player's eyes 2017/11/14 04:04:29 (permalink)
Let's not disagree anymore, friends. There is clearly too much cleavage on this forum.

A work in regress:
www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
Kilometers Davis - video   audio
Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
The Sweet Slow Fade - video
Slugbaby
Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4172
Re: Tracking a piano player's eyes 2017/11/14 13:36:38 (permalink)
I'd NEVER want to wear those glasses.
I'd get killed when it became obvious that I was ogling chicks in the audience!

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
Moshkito
Re: Tracking a piano player's eyes 2017/11/14 14:44:33 (permalink)

Hi.

There was a film called "Looker" that was written and directed by Michael Crichton, and had a pretty interesting cast, and the whole thing was about ... the eyes ... and what it followed and in one sequence, it broke down a commercial and where the watcher's eyes were ... and yeah, you have to see that film to realize how much you are "indoctrinated" into what you are seeing, and it was a dead giveaway, that MTV was going to become a place where music mattered a lot less than the skin it showed and how.

Try to find that film ... it was a really strong one, but I think, in the end, that the film itself, helped usher something onto our screens, that in some ways, we did not want ... but it's what we got.

Movies, today, specially Hollywood, still do this and work on your ability to get sidetracked attention, to make it look like it's actually sexier than it really is.

Music is not about notes and chords! My poem is not about the computer or monitor or letters! It's about how I was able to translate it from my insides! 
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Tracking a piano player's eyes 2017/11/14 21:15:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby kennywtelejazz 2017/11/15 01:55:25
bitflipper
I almost always play with eyes closed

You told us once about a gig you had where the audience was a swingers club.  Keep your eyes closed for that one? 
Moshkito
Re: Tracking a piano player's eyes 2017/11/15 02:26:36 (permalink)
dmbaer
bitflipper
I almost always play with eyes closed

You told us once about a gig you had where the audience was a swingers club.  Keep your eyes closed for that one? 

I did rehearsals blind folded for the actors, and the result was ... that your ears perk up a bit more and you can (eventually) find the location of the voice (tested it several times) and you know how to move. It's actually a very handy tool to learn to use, as it has the upside of teaching you how to work with the set pieces a lot more, than you might otherwise, when you kind of ignore the table and the chair next to you.

For music, I can't really say, but I would imagine that it enhances the listening ... and you can always look at any blind music player and they are always very sharp on the listening side of things, specially in music. Rachel Flowers comes to mind ... and seeing her play with an orchestra, do a piano solo, or with ZpZ, kinda changes this game some ... and even she does not explain it well at all, in her interviews ... I think people are intimidated into asking her about the "blindness" and how she sees music. I would think it is too facile and weird to just think of it as a sort of mathematics, but something else is in there when she does as much as she does ... at least you knew that Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder and others, kinda did the same thing nicely, but Rachel has taken that to a different stage altogether.

Just go listen to her complete piano version of TARKUS ... it becomes one of the great compositions for piano, and even makes folks like Keith Jarrett look a bit repetitive, and mechanical.

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1