Superior 3 Drum Tracker (specifically cymbals)

Author
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
2017/11/14 21:51:11 (permalink)

Superior 3 Drum Tracker (specifically cymbals)

I have the Zildjian Gen-16 system (with three brains) so that I can record cymbals along with of my e-drums, in my modest home studio.

This system give me "perfectly isolated" cymbal tracking. Six tracks of 7 cymbals.
14" Hats
20" Ride
16" Crash
18" Crash/Ride
18" China
12" Splash & 13" continuously closed hats

After recording I split out the closed hats to a separate track.

The Gen-16 system has software control of the pitch, EQ and wash of the cymbal and comes with to sets of 12 presets done by "pro drummers". One set of 12 is brighter and the other set of 12 are darker/warmer. And there are 75 open slots for user programmed presets. 

This past weekend I used the SD3 tracker to "replace" those cymbals. Ride, Crashes, Splash and China we 99.9% accurate. For some reason a crash hit (only once in the song) was picked up where there was not one in the original track. Hats were about 90% accurate. Occasionally, I think, an open hat was detected as a higher velocity closed hat hit. 

Although my goal is to get the output Gen-16 system to be as close to perfect as possibly (my drummer and I are still learning the system) I'm happy to know that I can successfully replace the sounds in case what we record is sh!te. I call it Cymbal-A-GogTrigger.

Bottom line: SD3 tracker is excellent on "isolated" tracks.

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1