Recording audio from an external USB source (Behringer XENYX QX1204USB Mixer) to Sonar

Author
Justerini123
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11
2017/11/15 11:05:00 (permalink)

Recording audio from an external USB source (Behringer XENYX QX1204USB Mixer) to Sonar

Hi All
Setup a follows:
Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
Roland XV-5080 Sound module (32 Midi Channels)
   - Alesis Q88 Keyboard controller (16 Channels)
    - Roland UM-One USB Midi Interface (the other 16 Channels)
Sony and Alesis Studio monitors 
Behringer XENYX QX1204USB Mixer - USB in/out to PC

My problem is I do not know to setup to record Audio (Guitar / vocals) from the mixer to Cakewalk - 
I have followed the Behringer manual and set it up correctly (there are 2 ways)
1. By Default my PC recognises the Mixers USB as USB Audio Codec and I can play music from the PC(itunes) my keyboard / guitar / Microphone to the speakers from the Mixer
Cakewalk recognises the USB Codec stereo in/out in the preferences for Audio but when I add an audio track in Cakewalk and arm it to record and play guitar / use the microphone through the mixer I get no input signal in cakewalk in the audio track
2. Behringer online suggests installing ASIO4ALL - I did this and changed the audio device in Cakewalk to ASIO and the same result no signal in cakewalk plus on top of this it kills iTunes

What should my settings be in the Audio Track In/Out? My settings are
In - ASIO4ALL Stereo (1 in / 1 out)
Output - ASIO4ALL Stereo (1 in / 1 out)

Should my output change to Master or Bus or AUX?

All the Midi from my sound module to mixer to Cakewalk works fine with either USB AdiO codec setting as well as if I change it to ASIO
The same goes for the Cakewalk Platinum instruments are working fine recording and playing back through the mixer to speakers

Any suggestions would be appreciated I'm new to trying recording audio - 

Thanks
Andrew

4 Replies Related Threads

chuckebaby
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re: Recording audio from an external USB source (Behringer XENYX QX1204USB Mixer) to Sonar 2017/11/15 14:14:44 (permalink)
    The ASIO4ALL driver is for latency purposes and has nothing to do with monitoring.
    you need to engage the USB button and possibly a mix knob (my Mackie uses a mix knob) not sure about the Behringer but this video will explain details. Go to 8 minutes, 57 seconds and pay close attention.

For what its worth, these mixers are not a great source for recording multitrack. they will get by but not professional in any shape, way or form. They are geared toward recording live performance hence the reason they have no driver and expect you to use ASIO4ALL. I use my USB Mackie as a sub mix for my drum room. My interface is a Focusrite which allows multiple inputs and signed drivers from Focusrite.

In other words, if your going to end up getting serious about recording, get something else.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
    Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
    Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

THambrecht
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 867
    Re: Recording audio from an external USB source (Behringer XENYX QX1204USB Mixer) to Sonar 2017/11/15 14:25:22 (permalink)
    As I think the Behringer is only 48kHz 16Bit.
    So Sonar must set to the same resolution.
    Maybe you have to set the Mixer if you use USB as input or as output.

We digitize tapes, vinyl, dat, md ... in broadcast and studio quality for publishers, public institutions and individuals.
    4 x Intel Quad-CPU, 4GHz Sonar Platinum (Windows 10 - 64Bit) and 14 computers for recording tapes, vinyl ...

4 x RME Fireface 800, 2 x Roland Octa Capture and 4 x Roland Quad Capture, Focusrite .... Studer A80, RP99, EMT948 ...

(Germany)  http://www.hambrecht.de
    Justerini123
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Recording audio from an external USB source (Behringer XENYX QX1204USB Mixer) to Sonar 2017/11/16 04:17:15 (permalink)
    Many thanks Chuckebaby & Thambrecht

I followed the video and was doing all the correct steps on the mixer. The issue was the ASIO drivers on Behringers Mixer specific website (Australian Site) cause conflict. The video had a link to and older Windows 7 driver (Behringer.de website)
    After a few unistalls, disabling and deleting some windows regisrty items and doing a clean install of the driver all is working

Appreciate the help, many thanks once again
    soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: Recording audio from an external USB source (Behringer XENYX QX1204USB Mixer) to Sonar 2017/11/18 05:03:43 (permalink)
    Funny, Behringer says nothing about it's audio quality/sample rates. Sweetwater is silent on this too. Can't seem to find anyone willing to spill the beans. And there's no manual, only a quick start guide and a sales brochure. Not very promising when these specs are necessary to know.

I was surprised to learn Australian prices are 2-2½ x more than USA.
    post edited by soens - 2017/11/19 03:36:02
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1