Helpful ReplyAnyone Running Multiple PCs with Sonar to increase capacity for VSTs?

Author
scottgius
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2017/11/16 15:30:06 (permalink)

Anyone Running Multiple PCs with Sonar to increase capacity for VSTs?

I've got an i7 HP with 32gb ram and ssd drives. I don't have CPU speed with me right now. 

I use the East West Quantum Leap libraries along with some Kontakt libraries and want to build out very large track templates for orchestral mock-ups. 

I have had my systems configured to use multiple PCs in prior years, looking to setup similar configuration. Basically to have the Sonar sequencing done on the above PC and then also have some of the VSTs running on a 2nd pc and also on my Muse Research dedicated unit. 

I've seen many mentions of using Vienna Ensemble Pro to facilitate this type of configuration. In my old config I just set up midi out from the master to slave pc, loaded VSTs there and brought the audio back in digitally to the master via routing. 

Any tips or feedback on these types of configurations with todays available tools?
gswitz
Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5694
Re: Anyone Running Multiple PCs with Sonar to increase capacity for VSTs? 2017/11/16 17:31:00 (permalink)
No one I know.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
gswitz
Re: Anyone Running Multiple PCs with Sonar to increase capacity for VSTs? 2017/11/16 23:11:23 (permalink)
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UAD2SUO

Some people buy stuff like this. Not me though.

I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Anyone Running Multiple PCs with Sonar to increase capacity for VSTs? 2017/11/17 01:27:56 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby gswitz 2017/11/20 22:38:19
FWIW, I've got clients using multiple machines (running massive orchestral templates making use of VE Pro "Slave" machines).
These folks are generally hard-core professional composers... scoring for TV/Film/Video Games.

IMO, Your quickest work-flow is generally the simplest.
If your needs are extensive, I'd start with the fastest (single) machine you can get.
If that's nowhere near enough speed/processing to run your projects, then it's time to implement VE Pro Slaves.
Folks that are using VE Pro Slaves, to keep work-flow as streamlined as possible... the Slave machine/s are always running the same libraries.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
timidi
Max Output Level: -21 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5449
Re: Anyone Running Multiple PCs with Sonar to increase capacity for VSTs? 2017/11/17 02:27:49 (permalink)
I used to back in the gigasampler days. worked out well.
set up pretty much the way you described.
just a midi (for clock) and audio interface on the 2nd machine. everything ran thru a digital board.
I would nudge the midi a little to compensate for any latency.

ASUS P8P67, i7-2600K, CORSAIR 16GB, HIS 5450, 3 Samsung SSD 850, Win7 64, RME AIO.

https://timbowman.bandcamp.com/releases

gswitz
Re: Anyone Running Multiple PCs with Sonar to increase capacity for VSTs? 2017/11/20 22:41:13 (permalink)
So, Jim, they use Midi Sync to allow one of the machines to control playback  and position on both?

Do you use common clock for all the interfaces too?

I'm guessing this would require 2 licenses for Sonar since you use both simultaneously.

Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
Re: Anyone Running Multiple PCs with Sonar to increase capacity for VSTs? 2017/11/21 13:58:58 (permalink)
gswitz
So, Jim, they use Midi Sync to allow one of the machines to control playback  and position on both?

Do you use common clock for all the interfaces too?

I'm guessing this would require 2 licenses for Sonar since you use both simultaneously.

These clients are using VE Pro on the "Slave" machines.
You open up VE Pro on the "Slave" machine... and it hosts whatever virtual-instruments and plugins you desire.
The Slave machine is networked (via Gb LAN) to the main DAW.
  • All audio from the "Slave" is routed back to the main DAW via Gb LAN
  • MIDI performance data from the main DAW is routed to the VE Pro "Slave" via Gb LAN
It's an elegant solution to what would otherwise be a tedious setup.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
Bajan Blue
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2029
Re: Anyone Running Multiple PCs with Sonar to increase capacity for VSTs? 2017/11/21 15:10:00 (permalink)
I've used Vienna Ensemble for may years - although for me these days its hardly essential as my main machine copes with nearly everything - however I have kept it as i have some old programs that are on my old machines and I occasionally use them via Vienna.
It has always worked seamlessly for me and I've never had any issues with it.
Nigel

Nigel
Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
www.devinelie.com

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1