Joe Bonamassa concert.

Author
Randy P
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3070
2017/11/19 16:51:48 (permalink)

Joe Bonamassa concert.

I saw the show Thursday night at the State Theater in Ithaca NY. Very cool old venue that I've seen a few shows at over the years.
We had good seats in the 16th row, left center. If you ever go to see Joe, keep in mind that if your tickets say 8 p.m. show, he starts at 8 sharp. 

A few minutes before showtime, a guy and his wife take their seats behind us. The guy says, "I gotta go up and take a look at the stage" and off he goes. He came back a few minutes later and says "See those two big amps on the right, those are Joe's Marshalls". He was pointing at bassist Michael Rhodes 2 Ashdown rigs. Joe was playing through 2 59 Fender Twin Tweeds and 2 58 Bassmans that were set up behind a plexiglass gobo right in front of Anton Figs drum riser. Doh!

I won't go into what songs they played, but it was a good mix of old, new and couple of cool covers. His band is just a great line up of real seasoned pros. 2 great horn players, 2 very appealing Aussie girls singing backing vocals and doing a unique to every song dance. Reese Wynans from Stevie Ray Vaughns band Double Trouble on Hammond B3, piano.

For those of us into guitars, his main guitars were a 59 Les Paul, a 52 Telecaster and a 58 Gibson Flying V.

If you get the chance, go see his show. It's just nonstop great music, with zero filler. His between song patter is a simple and sincere sounding "Thank You". This band has been together a little over 3 years and they are tight as tight can be, and the attention to sound quality is pretty impressive.

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson

5 Replies Related Threads

jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Joe Bonamassa concert. 2017/11/19 16:56:24 (permalink)
    Looking forward to seeing him in March next year Randy, very expensive tickets but he'll never play anywhere closer to me (90 mins drive).

No Carmine Rojas on bass then? Love that guy's grooves. Who's on drums, Anton Fig?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Randy P
    Re: Joe Bonamassa concert. 2017/11/19 17:31:01 (permalink)
    Yes James, tickets were expensive here also. When I saw the road set up I understood the cost a little better. 2 semis, and 7 custom coaches. It's an 8 piece band plus crew. I talked with Joe's dad before the show and he said they don't fly unless absolutely necessary. (I've known his dad since Joe was 11 or so)

Carmine is not on this leg, but you won't be disappointed with Rhodes. He's a beast of a player and fun to watch. Do a google search of him. He's played and recorded with some serious talent.

Anton is the drummer. One of the best out there. 29 years with Paul Shaffer on David Lettermen he's played with everybody. He actually got a drum solo that was just real tasty. At maybe 3 minutes it wasn't overly long and the crowd just loved it.

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: Joe Bonamassa concert. 2017/11/19 17:35:26 (permalink)
    Yeah, Anton's fantastic. I also really like the vids I've seen when JB had 2 drummers on stage, AF and Bogie Bowles, that was some serious power.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Joe Bonamassa concert. 2017/11/20 05:34:54 (permalink)
    I'm still bummed that I missed him out here.  He literally played across the street from my main client and next door to another (at the Arlene Schnitzer)!  October 6th I believe and I learned about it on...  October 6th.  Oh well!  

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Randy P
    Re: Joe Bonamassa concert. 2017/11/20 14:45:17 (permalink)
    craigb
    I'm still bummed that I missed him out here.  He literally played across the street from my main client and next door to another (at the Arlene Schnitzer)!  October 6th I believe and I learned about it on...  October 6th.  Oh well!  

He'll be back around Craig. He's a serious road warrior.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1