Moving programs, etc., to new computer's C drive

Author
jerrypettit
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 625
2017/11/20 12:42:00 (permalink)

Moving programs, etc., to new computer's C drive

Believe me, I'll be GOOGLING like crazy all morning and searching more around the Forum.  But I'd still like a word of advice on this from you guys.

Brand new computer.  Backed up the old one on a 3Tb drive using "Backup" and put my C drive program files--including Desktop, and some other files (NOT any system files--into a C folder, and put my other hard drives in their entirety into D folder, E folder, etc.

Now it's time to transfer.  Can't I just select all of the contents of D folder and "Copy" to the new D drive?  Or is "Restore" a better option for some reason.

It's the new solid state C drive I'm worried about--with Cakewalk, Melodyne, all of my crucial music programs on there.  Although I'll research first, my thought was to Copy (or restore) all of those files to the new C drive first (which already has Windows 10 on it), understanding that I may not be able to run them (because of Registry complications?) and THEN as I find out that various programs don't run, REINSTALL them one by one as I discover this.

Have I got this right?

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies Related Threads

Adderoo
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re: Moving programs, etc., to new computer's C drive 2017/11/20 13:15:36 (permalink)
    What I would do in your case is re-install all programs like Sonar etc, using the latest version of the Command Center. And other software using their latest installers. This typically puts stuff in C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86)

After having done your basic installations, you could append the created directories C:\Cakewalk Content and C:\Cakewalk Projects with additional material that you take from your backup of the old pc.

Some material may also be stored in C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk and in Documents\Cakewalk. Same procedure here, first check what is newly installed and then append with 'old' stuff that is missing.

Some of your VST's (in my case stored in C:\Program Files\vstplugins64bit and C:\Program Files (x86)\vstplugins32bit maybe just copied and pasted from the backup, but best is wherever there is an install procedure, first do that

Hope this helps

Ad

current gear: Sonar Platinum; Korg Kronos 88; Akai Advance 61; Roland Octa-Capture; Kurzweil K2500R; Korg Pa2X; Edirol-PCR800; Reason 10; way too many wonderful VST's.
    PeteL
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 168
    Re: Moving programs, etc., to new computer's C drive 2017/11/20 13:20:10 (permalink)
    I would think the foolproof method would be to reinstall every application. Otherwise the resigstry entries for each application will not be present.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Moving programs, etc., to new computer's C drive 2017/11/20 14:00:08 (permalink)
    +1 for what PeteL said.  In many (most) cases you can't just move programs, they must be "installed" using the installer for the program. VST's the same way.  You may get away with just copying some, but its iffy.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    joeb1cannoli
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 199
    Re: Moving programs, etc., to new computer's C drive 2017/11/20 14:09:59 (permalink)
    I just replaced my motherboard, processor and ram and installed a new SSD as my C drive.

I used the clone drive tool from Acronis to copy my old C drive to the new SSD before swapping the hardware out.

To my surprise, the computer booted fine and ran perfectly. 

The only issue that I had was spending some time with Microsoft tech support authorizing my Windows 10 licence with the new hardware.
    Have your authorization code ready.
    They remoted into my PC and I'm good to go.
    I also had to reauthorize some VSTs also. Painless

It's worth a try. The worst that can happen is that you'll have to do a clean install.

http://soundcloud.com/joe-b-10
    Windows 10 Pro x64, 6 core, Core i7 , 16GB ram
    Sonar Platinum , Komplete 8, Ozone 8  
    Presonus Studio 192 and DP88 ,uad-2 solo
    jerrypettit
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    Re: Moving programs, etc., to new computer's C drive 2017/11/20 16:10:13 (permalink)
    Thanks so much guys.  I'll reinstall the important stuff first then.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1