Helpful ReplyOther notable product discontinuations?

Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2017/11/21 18:55:53 (permalink)

Other notable product discontinuations?

Hi
This all has me thinking of how I reacted when things I loved stopped being supportive.  

I was an early UAD adopter.  But I also got into the TC Electronics VST host whatever it was called.  That box sits unused as it was never updated for later changes in Windows.  I refuse to ever purchase a TCE product again - even if they are now part of Behringer. 

I owned pretty much everything Camel Audio made.  That is an Apple product now.  I have the legacy plugins and part of the soundsets I purchased, but not all of them.  

I loved my Frontier Alpha Track and the wireless thing they made too (made playing guitar standing up easier).  Dead.  

The biggest blow was the TC box.  I had purchased many of their plugins.  They were great reverbs, fx, compressors...

But Cakewalk - I have invested in upgrades since the purple/black thing in the 80s (v 2 I think).  I missed Sonar 2 & 3 because I hated Sonar 1 and temporarily switched to Cubase.   I came back for Sonar 4 tho.  Or maybe 3?  I dunno - getting old.  Over the life of my association with Cakewalk/Twelve Tone/et al, I must have spent several thousand dollars on upgrades, synths, soundsets...That dwarfs what I lost in TC.  

I am simultaneously sad and angry.  

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Other notable product discontinuations? 2017/11/21 18:59:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby backwoods 2017/11/21 21:06:59
The biggest sting I've ever felt was Cakewalk related, as it goes, which was the VS-700. Now in fairness, looking back, that was Roland's mess, and this now is Gibson's mess. Cakewalk has not had a lucky time of it with parent companies, I think. The team in Boston, however, making the core software, have always been great. It's a shame to see it end like this.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
Re: Other notable product discontinuations? 2017/11/21 19:01:29 (permalink)
John
I have no blame for the Cakewalk folks.  Gibson has done this a few times.  

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Other notable product discontinuations? 2017/11/21 19:02:24 (permalink)
Indeed. It's no secret that Gibson has been badly-run for some time now.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
Amicus717
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 555
Re: Other notable product discontinuations? 2017/11/21 19:07:37 (permalink)
John T
The biggest sting I've ever felt was Cakewalk related, as it goes, which was the VS-700. Now in fairness, looking back, that was Roland's mess, and this now is Gibson's mess. Cakewalk has not had a lucky time of it with parent companies, I think. The team in Boston, however, making the core software, have always been great. It's a shame to see it end like this.

I agree. I always have had the sense that the core Cakewalk folks were dedicated and honest and enthusiastic, and genuinely loved their product and wanted to do right by their users. They always struck me as passionate music people and recording people, who also happen to build a DAW for a living. Cakewalk's parent companies, on the other hand, have made dodgy and short-sighted decisions, and have steered Cakewalk in unfortunate directions. And now here we are...I also had the V-700, and loved it, but when it was orphaned by Roland I felt I needed to get rid of it while there was still some resale value, before Sonar's (and Window's) evolution rendered it useless.

I also had a TC Powercore card, now sitting idly on a shelf gathering dust. And Alchemy (with a bunch of nice libraries)...seeing great products die always sucks. Cakewalk, in particular, stings rather a lot. It's been my main music tool for 20 years. 

Sonar Platinum, Windows 10 Pro 64, Core i7-5820K Haswell-E CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RME Babyface, Adam F7 monitors, Mackie MCU
JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: Other notable product discontinuations? 2017/11/21 19:11:48 (permalink)
Opcode Studio Vision. RIP 1985-1999

Some lame company ran that one into the ground as well...

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: Other notable product discontinuations? 2017/11/21 21:05:40 (permalink)
John T
Cakewalk has not had a lucky time of it with parent companies, I think. The team in Boston, however, making the core software, have always been great. It's a shame to see it end like this.

This. And I suppose (Craig dropped a couple of hints elsewhere) that there's still some reason to hope it might not be the very end... but at the moment it doesn't look great. 

My worst previous audio software disappointment was when NI dropped support for Kore. That one stung. So did Camel Audio disappearing into the black hole of Apple. I still have, and occasionally use, both Kore and Alchemy (and even, occasionally, Camel Space and Phat) and I will likely keep Sonar around as long as I can still get good use from it but obviously if no knight in shining armour comes to our/Cakewalk's rescue in the pretty near future, it will be time to begin the transition to another main squeeze. That will hurt more than Kore and Camel put together, and then some... 

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
shawker
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 80
Re: Other notable product discontinuations? 2017/11/21 21:08:23 (permalink)
Emagic Logic going to Apple and dropping windows support.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1