Helpful ReplyOnwards and Upwards

Author
Songroom
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 174
2017/11/22 09:36:27 (permalink)

Onwards and Upwards

Having read the official announcement, my first thoughts are with the Cakewalk employees who must be devastated by Gibson's decision, although I guess there was a certain inevitability about the situation given Gibson's level of debt and the news that they are selling the historic Memphis factory and moving to smaller premises.

Looking at Facebook this morning I noted the usual stream of adverts for the new Gibson Custom guitars, regarded by many as overpriced, sub-standard versions of the original legendary instruments. What I saw was a final, desperate attempt to ward off the inevitable.

I assume we'll receive clarity regarding issues such as subscriptions and future activations. I also hope that potential customers, who may not frequent this forum, will be given clear and concise notice of the situation before they part with their hard earned money.

I'm pleased that several members have touted a plan to keep the forum alive as there's no doubt it's a very valuable resource. I would encourage anyone with a vested interest in the software to help where they can.

Overall, it's a sad day for everyone involved.

Sonar Platinum - BandLab Cakewalk - Presonus 16.0.2 - Tannoys - Lava BandLamp ?

chriswickens
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
Re: Onwards and Upwards 2017/11/22 09:50:25 (permalink)
I can't say I'm happy with Gibson in the least about this decision.
I was not too happy about the change in sales model to a subscription service (Stupid me bought the lifetime), but I was willing to accept it because CW actually started throwing out lots of updates and extras. I actually felt like my money was being used in a way I agreed with.

Some people here have been with CW MUCH longer than myself (Started with 8.0), but after this announcement I have decided after my band finishes our current album I will be buying a Mac and Logic.

I love Sonar and I'm pretty mad that Gibson is doing this, but after the Roland sale and now this; I can't continue to support a product with an unknown future. Even if the company is scooped up, I just don't see it as being a secure DAW to use when compared to Logic (Even protools).

I really hope the people who wait this out will get to keep using Sonar, it's just not something I'm willing to wait around for.
Songroom
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 174
Re: Onwards and Upwards 2017/11/22 10:14:18 (permalink)
chriswickens
I love Sonar and I'm pretty mad that Gibson is doing this, but after the Roland sale and now this; I can't continue to support a product with an unknown future. Even if the company is scooped up, I just don't see it as being a secure DAW to use when compared to Logic (Even protools).

I totally get what your saying, but for now I'm going to disable Windows updates and isolate my workstation from the internet. I've already downloaded and archived my purchased products and the relative serial numbers, but I guess that there's a chance that activation will become impossible in the future. When Sonar slips into demo mode and there's no longer any support, I'll be forced switch to an alternative DAW.

My next task is to freeze existing projects to ensure cross platform compatibility. That's going to take a while.

Sonar Platinum - BandLab Cakewalk - Presonus 16.0.2 - Tannoys - Lava BandLamp ?

Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Onwards and Upwards 2017/11/22 10:20:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Songroom 2017/11/22 10:59:01
If you are just going to keep your PC in a frozen state as it were, create a disc image so you can get back if needed and without the need for authorizations (in most cases with most things) then when you update any products or purchase new ones, rinse and repeat. It would provide a little more security.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

Grem
Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5562
Re: Onwards and Upwards 2017/11/22 10:21:45 (permalink)
chriswickens

Even if the company is scooped up, I just don't see it as being a secure DAW to use

Yep. The ones that made it what it is will have found greener pastures. Anyone else would just be after a buck$.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
Home PC
AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
Surface Pro 3
Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1