Sonar is the best DAW period. Marketing and ..the community.. failed.

Author
papacucku
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 135
2017/11/22 13:54:34 (permalink)

Sonar is the best DAW period. Marketing and ..the community.. failed.

I personally referred folks about three times when they asked me over the years and they ended up buying sonar.  Other than that I feel bad that I was not more active on the Internet.  I have tried many DAWS.  Sonar is the best period and yet why am I still hearing...ohh pro tools (it may be the worst).  cubase  etc.  I am going to troll the internet and post at least three declarations that Sonar is the best DAW and im tired of it being "our little secret".

Cakewalk would be better in the hands of the software company at this juncture, a software company announces end of life and plans to stop production about a year in advance and plans for support and migration paths with more clarity.  Announcements with this verbiage out of the blue...unfortunately create chaos and show corporate weakness in the software realm. Nothing against Gibson, just should have looked at how software companies handle this type of thing. 

Anyway I am going to help one person who posted problems on this forum and then go declare cakewalk the best online.  I invite anyone to do the same. 

Rig1: Platinum. 1513 Intel Core i7 5930K (3.50GHz) 32GB DDR3 SSD, GTX 970 Windows  10 64. Focusrite Saffire 6i6. Presonus Monitors.

Rig 2:Platinum. Win 7,  Quad CPU 8 DDR3. SSD. RME multiface II, Oktopre MKII, StudioLive AI 16,  Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors.  
Drums:TAMA ImperialStar, Roland TD30
Keys: Yamaha Mx-61, M-audio Keystation IRIG I/O Midi Controllers.
Additional Plugs:Melodyne Editor, Izotope (all), Autotune, Trillian, East West(most),Addictive Drums2, Addictive Piano, AIR FX Collection.

2 Replies Related Threads

raisindot
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 96
    Re: Sonar is the best DAW period. Marketing and ..the community.. failed. 2017/11/22 14:11:17 (permalink)
    What's the point? Cakewalk is going under for a number of reasons. 

1. Macs own the DAW industry. Period. Always did. Always will. So it was impossible for Cakewalk to ever achieve a significant market share. And once these Mac-based DAWs became became available for Windows users, the battle was over. Every PC user wanted to jump on the ProTools bandwagon, leaving little room for Cakewalk to grow beyond its loyal customer base. 

2. ProTools, Cubase, Studio One, Ableton and other DAWs grew market share because they were packed with hardware such as audio interfaces. New DAW users got hooked to these programs and became loyal to those brands. For awhile a crippled version of Cakewalk was included with certain Roland products, but these efforts were abandoned. 

3. When Sonar first launched, DAWs were mainly for composers. But over time the looping fad took over, and people who had no musical background could create generic hip hop compositions by dragging and dropping loops and pretend they were playing songs by pushing colored buttons on an MPC device. Cakewalk could never compete with these "drag and button push" programs. 

4. The subscription model signaled the end.  Before it, you could update to the newest version of the top Sonar package for $99. That was affordable. But $199 a year for no more than one or two real updates a year was too much for many people (me included). 

5. The acquisition of Cakewalk by Gibon was the final nail in the coffin. Gibson knows nothing about software, and the head-scratching decision to make Cakewalk a Tascam subsidiary made absolutely no sense. And now that Gibson is on the verge of declaring banktruptcy, it's mothballing the assets that don't generate significant revenue. Since Cakewalk was never a priority for them, it's the first to go. 

So it's fine to go out there and say Cakewalk is the best, but you're essentially spitting into the wind. No one is going to buy software from a company going out of business, and unless another company or private equity group guys it out the brand is dead in terms of further releases. 
    papacucku
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 135
    Re: Sonar is the best DAW period. Marketing and ..the community.. failed. 2017/11/22 14:34:34 (permalink)
    Good and fair analysis.  Its for my mental health not the company.  The first google hit I found has sonar as the number 2 DAW in 2017.  Way to go! its from ehomerecordingstudio.com  which don't know but it was the first result for best daw 2017 https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/best-daw-software/ .  Musicradar just listed sonar as number 8 in a list of 20 (ahead of pro tools). Alright alright. http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/the-20-best-daw-software-apps-in-the-world-today-238905 .
    Number 6 out of 12 just last says musiciansonamission just last month https://www.musicianonamission.com/best-daw-2016/ 
    Sweet!  

As for macs owning the DAW industry... certainly some argument about that but that should be numero Uno on Marketing's hit list of identified misconceptions. http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2016/9/4/myths-of-modern-recording-macs-are-best .  I could come up with many attacks on that position.  No point as you said. 

Rig1: Platinum. 1513 Intel Core i7 5930K (3.50GHz) 32GB DDR3 SSD, GTX 970 Windows  10 64. Focusrite Saffire 6i6. Presonus Monitors.

Rig 2:Platinum. Win 7,  Quad CPU 8 DDR3. SSD. RME multiface II, Oktopre MKII, StudioLive AI 16,  Presonus Sceptre Coaxial Monitors.  
    Drums:TAMA ImperialStar, Roland TD30
    Keys: Yamaha Mx-61, M-audio Keystation IRIG I/O Midi Controllers.
    Additional Plugs:Melodyne Editor, Izotope (all), Autotune, Trillian, East West(most),Addictive Drums2, Addictive Piano, AIR FX Collection.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1