Optimism after heartbreaking news

Author
boinkeee2000
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2017/11/23 07:15:40 (permalink)

Optimism after heartbreaking news

Been using sonar since pro audio 9, and for me this is the BEST MIDI/Sequencing DAW ever made. I am optimistic though that the folks who run cakewalk would break off and start a new company to keep Sonar (or whatever name they use) alive and intact. I'm not giving up hope...maybe another big DAW company can aquire them? I dont know the specifics of the news and what it entails...but such a company cannot just die off into oblivion nowadays, especially the technological advances they have contributed for the PC recording world...

6 Replies Related Threads

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Optimism after heartbreaking news 2017/11/23 07:19:04 (permalink)
    Being a dreamer is imbued in the creative types.
    35mm
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1105
    Re: Optimism after heartbreaking news 2017/11/23 07:54:02 (permalink)
    If the Cake crew split off and develop another DAW they would have to start from scratch and wouldn't be able to copy a lot of the code they did before. Gibson owns the code and any patents in it. I have a sneaky feeling Gibson may sell the code and patents to Microsoft, who are creating a new DAW interestingly. Very interestingly when you consider the recent cooperation between Cakewalk and Microsoft. MS want something to compete with Mac's Logic Pro. So who knows, that could be based on Sonar.

Splat, Win 10 64bit and all sorts of musical odds and sods collected over the years, but still missing a lot of my old analogue stuff I sold off years ago.
    subtlearts
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2200
    Re: Optimism after heartbreaking news 2017/11/23 08:04:26 (permalink)
    35mm
    I have a sneaky feeling Gibson may sell the code and patents to Microsoft, who are creating a new DAW interestingly.

Maybe they already have?

tobias tinker 
    music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
    tobiastinker.com
    aeosrecords.com
    soundfascination.com
    Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
    TStorms
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re: Optimism after heartbreaking news 2017/11/23 08:08:14 (permalink)
    boinkeee2000
    Been using sonar since pro audio 9, and for me this is the BEST MIDI/Sequencing DAW ever made. I am optimistic though that the folks who run cakewalk would break off and start a new company to keep Sonar (or whatever name they use) alive and intact. I'm not giving up hope...maybe another big DAW company can aquire them? I dont know the specifics of the news and what it entails...but such a company cannot just die off into oblivion nowadays, especially the technological advances they have contributed for the PC recording world...

Maybe the Cakewalk employees will rise up and save the day. There are lots of employee owned businesses that do very well because the employees are invested in the success of the company - which, to them, means making the CUSTOMERS happy. Of course they want to (and should) make a profit but they seem to understand that the
    company's financial well being is derived from the customers who appreciate the quality of its products, services and employees. The mentality of the large corporations is extremely anti-employee and, to a slightly lesser degree, anti-customer -- it's all about making Wall Street happy and attracting the investors with artificial growth and earnings reports. They show a higher profit on stagnant or declining revenue by lowering expenses - translated, that means screwing the employees and the customers. Guaranteed, if revenue increases, little (if any) of the gain ever reaches the employee or the customer.

I apologize for the rant.... I recently left the business world after 50 years. I guess I have some lasting resentment about the corporate greed I've seen and been affected by especially over the last 20 years :-) I REALLY feel for the Cakewalk employees because I've been through a number of "restructures", "resource balancing" or whatever else you want to call the calculated and soul-less corporate strategy moves. Keep the faith... it's no fun now but you'll land on your feet.

Hipatitis (n): Terminal coolness. 

Platinum on Win 7 Intel i7 870 8GB Ram Crucial SSD WD Raptor 10K RPM TC Electronic StudioKonnekt48 Akai MPK49
    TStorms
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re: Optimism after heartbreaking news 2017/11/23 08:14:26 (permalink)
    35mm
    If the Cake crew split off and develop another DAW they would have to start from scratch and wouldn't be able to copy a lot of the code they did before. Gibson owns the code and any patents in it. I have a sneaky feeling Gibson may sell the code and patents to Microsoft, who are creating a new DAW interestingly. Very interestingly when you consider the recent cooperation between Cakewalk and Microsoft. MS want something to compete with Mac's Logic Pro. So who knows, that could be based on Sonar.

Seems to be a golden opportunity for them (or someone) to create a product that converts SONAR project files to the various competitors' project file formats. I'd buy it. It would ease the inevitable chore were all faced with.

Hipatitis (n): Terminal coolness. 

Platinum on Win 7 Intel i7 870 8GB Ram Crucial SSD WD Raptor 10K RPM TC Electronic StudioKonnekt48 Akai MPK49
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    Re: Optimism after heartbreaking news 2017/11/23 10:41:30 (permalink)
    The problem with transferring files is there is always the unknown, including plugin used and available in the format being copied to. Proprietary info in the various file formats that companies won’t give away.

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1