Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums

Author
panup
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2538
2017/11/26 12:40:44 (permalink)

Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums

We're building a new home for all the old & new Cakewalk software users as well as those who start to learn other DAWs after SONAR. Cakewalkcommunity.com is based on the 6 year old SONAR Mods forums (http://sonarmods.com

SONAR Mods is home of Duckbar & other 3rd party add-ons for Cakewalk SONAR software.

Welcome!
http://cakewalkcommunity.com

Panu Pentikäinen
known as Panu at cakewalkcommunity.com

18 Replies Related Threads

AndrewLMacaulay
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re: Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums 2017/11/26 12:49:10 (permalink)
    Trying to answer a real concern given the current (and likely future) unavailability of cakewalk.com, would it be possible for you to host an archive (taken from all sources there are, including members of the community) of ALL current and previous versions of all of the downloads/installers from the Cakewalk library, including older installers like the pre UP3 Rapture Pro library packs that have since disappeared?

This would be a great service to the community (but will take disk space/bandwidth), and given the way licencing works at the moment, should not cause any licence issues for Gibson and Cakewalk - and if, by some chance, there does land up someone taking on the Cakewalk name and product, this can always be deleted at that point.

If not, just having an exchange for missing installers would be a great service as well.
    synkrotron
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5263
    Re: Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums 2017/11/26 12:58:22 (permalink)
    Hello Andrew,

I think this has been discussed elsewhere and there may be "rights" issues. I wasn't really party to the conversation and I am now struggling to find the thread...

cheers

andy

http://www.synkrotron.co.uk/
    Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum ∞ FFS| Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
    panup
    Re: Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums 2017/11/26 13:04:41 (permalink)
    Tere may be legal issues and it's better not take a risk to be sued by a big company.
    We build the new site, knowledge base etc. from ground up.

Just now downloading everything to safe may be too late because "Cakewalk - My Account Home" page is no more responding. I hope it's temporary.
    skinnybones lampshade
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 530
    Re: Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums 2017/11/26 13:11:11 (permalink)
    Panu, it is now back up.
    panup
    Re: Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums 2017/11/26 13:29:31 (permalink)
    Yes, working now... Downloading everything to safe.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums 2017/11/26 14:19:11 (permalink)
    AndrewLMacaulay
    Trying to answer a real concern given the current (and likely future) unavailability of cakewalk.com, would it be possible for you to host an archive (taken from all sources there are, including members of the community) of ALL current and previous versions of all of the downloads/installers from the Cakewalk library, including older installers like the pre UP3 Rapture Pro library packs that have since disappeared?

This would be a great service to the community (but will take disk space/bandwidth), and given the way licencing works at the moment, should not cause any licence issues for Gibson and Cakewalk - and if, by some chance, there does land up someone taking on the Cakewalk name and product, this can always be deleted at that point.

If not, just having an exchange for missing installers would be a great service as well.

The oldest stuff is going to be a problem, because you can't get those things from the CW server even now. But that's been the case for awhile, and hopefully everyone has those backed up already. Remembering what to back up, and finding the files, that's the challenge. Fortunately, sample and patch libraries don't need an installer if you back them up in their installed context so that their file structures are preserved.

Current stuff is not a problem (yet). When you run CCC, it downloads installers and runs them. The installers themselves are stored on your local drive and are not automatically deleted after CCC executes them. So you already have everything you need to store somewhere safe, and everything you'll need to re-install after CCC stops working.

This just means a common archive isn't going to help much, except as a convenience or if you realize too late that you'd forgotten to back something up.

The bigger issue is challenge-response authorization, because that depends on a server. Panu's a clever guy, but even if he could write a program that emulates a C/R response he'd be breaking some international copyright law. So there's not much we as a community can do about re-authorizing your Cakewalk software. We have no choice but to assume that it won't be a problem because we'll be given a means for self-authorization if the servers are shut down. It's actually a pretty safe assumption, given that a plan is already in place to do just that.

We're discussing the topic of SONAR's longterm viability here.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Serious_Noize!
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 950
    Re: Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums 2017/11/27 00:54:36 (permalink)
    You lost me at the second you said "WE'RE" meaning there must be a CLICK community going on and if someone give a bad review of someone else's music in the past then that person might be targeted or that is things like that........ 
    As for your forum, if you are going to start a forum you need to first explain yourself better. Meaning, is it just a Cakewalk user CHAT FORUM, or will it provide TECHNICAL SUPPORT? 

Problem with Technical support though is the fact that THERE REALLY IS NO MORE. 

I bet I'd get banned from your site/forums for this post eh? 

Either way, How do I know you have good intentions? That's the problem with forums, sometimes they get real world internet IP's and hack them and such things. 

Not to mention that in this very thread you have a QUOTE by BITFLIPPER who hasn't posted in this thread yet????? WTH???????? 

Thanks for the idea, but no thanks.......... 

Dell XPS 8700, 16GB's Ram, Sonar Platinum.
    poetnprophet
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re: Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums 2018/01/25 19:09:31 (permalink)
    is there a download link for Duckbar?  I've been searching for an hour and can only see forums or version 1.  
    Tom Riggs
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1752
    Re: Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums 2018/01/26 10:30:45 (permalink)
    Serious_Noize!
    You lost me at the second you said "WE'RE" meaning there must be a CLICK community going on and if someone give a bad review of someone else's music in the past then that person might be targeted or that is things like that........ 
    As for your forum, if you are going to start a forum you need to first explain yourself better. Meaning, is it just a Cakewalk user CHAT FORUM, or will it provide TECHNICAL SUPPORT? 

Problem with Technical support though is the fact that THERE REALLY IS NO MORE. 

I bet I'd get banned from your site/forums for this post eh? 

Either way, How do I know you have good intentions? That's the problem with forums, sometimes they get real world internet IP's and hack them and such things. 

Not to mention that in this very thread you have a QUOTE by BITFLIPPER who hasn't posted in this thread yet????? WTH???????? 

Thanks for the idea, but no thanks.......... 

It's not a quote from Bitflipper, it's Bitflipper quoting someone else

i7-3770k OC at 4.5Ghz, asus p8z77-m, 16g g.skill aries 1600 c9 ram, Noctua d-14 cooler, RME HDSPe Raydat, Motu FastLane, Nvidea GTX 980 ti 6G, windows 7 and 8.1 pro x64. Sonar Platinum and x3e currently installed

My Music 
    My YouTube

Elffin
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1196
    Re: Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums 2018/01/29 19:52:48 (permalink)
    @Panup - Do you want to copy the link from the Sonar utilities  (software forum)???   or maybe the posts have copied to your forum already! - if they have great!

I'll keep my dropbox active so won't change the content or links.....  

http://forum.cakewalk.com...-m3392713.aspx#3392713

Website | SoundCloud
    DAW: SONAR Platinum  Audio I/OMOTU Ultralite mk3
    Memory: 16gb Video: AMD 5700 HD
    Storage: 1 x WD Caviar blue 500mb, 2 x 2TB Seagate Barricudas
    panup
    Re: Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums 2018/01/30 00:21:25 (permalink)
    Elffin
    @Panup - Do you want to copy the link from the Sonar utilities  (software forum)???   or maybe the posts have copied to your forum already! - if they have great!

I'll keep my dropbox active so won't change the content or links.....  

http://forum.cakewalk.com...-m3392713.aspx#3392713

Hi Elffin, Mudgel made a copy of the utils already. I will categorize them to the Downloads area 'soon'...

panup
    Re: Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums 2018/01/30 00:23:39 (permalink)
    poetnprophet
    is there a download link for Duckbar?  I've been searching for an hour and can only see forums or version 1.  

It's currently offline; new version is not yet ready and the old version has become too much incompatible with SONAR (montly updates broke several things). Now as the SONAR development has been halted, it's possible for me to catch up SONAR and deliver a properly working version of Duckbar. This will, however, take some time because clients at my recording disturb my free time so much. :)

soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums 2018/02/19 02:26:42 (permalink)

It's currently offline...

Apparently so is Cakewalkcommunity.com today. Only get a blank page stating "System".
    panup
    Re: Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums 2018/02/19 02:33:13 (permalink)
    Site is down because there is attack going on to the service provider and they closed server temporarily.
    I checked that my sites are healthy and renewed admin passwords. Now I can only wait for the ISP to open lines again.
    FCCfirstclass
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 969
    Re: Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums 2018/02/19 15:24:14 (permalink)
    Just a thanks to Panu for all he does.  Looking forward to the new version of Duckbar. 

Win 10 Pro x64, 32Gb DDR3 ram, Sonar Platinum, Cubase 9.5, Mackie MCU Pro, Cakewalk VS 100, Roland Octa-Capture,  A 800 Pro, Carver M-1.5t amp & C4000 pre amp, various mics, drums and brass instruments.

And away we go!
    smusic.org
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums 2018/02/19 16:48:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing this Panu.  I only just joined this forum and I have been concerned about it being closed.  I like that you have some non-Sonar-specific sections of your forum to talk about songs, gear, etc.

Sonar 8.5 Producer
    Windows 7 ENT x64
    Echo Audio Layla 24/96
    digimidi
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 496
    Re: Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums 2018/02/19 18:21:50 (permalink)
    I've made a shortcut on my desktop for this new community. Thanks!

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left... 
    http://daveowenmusic.com/
    http://fabulous52s.com/
    https://soundcloud.com/daveowenmusic

Sonar Platinum Edition/Cakewalk by BandLab: Dell 8700 XPS i7 16GB RAM, Cyberpower laptop w/8GB RAM/i7/2GB NVidia card/Tascam US1641/Focusrite 18i6/Melodyne Studio 4/Waves Plugs (a lot)/Garritan/EWQL Symphony Silver & Fab 4 and a bunch of other stuff. Studio One 3/Magix Samplitude Pro X3 Suite/Mixcraft 8 Pro/Reaper/Acid Pro 8
    panup
    Re: Cakewalkcommunity.com - alternative for the Cakewalk Forums 2018/02/19 18:54:20 (permalink)
    Site is up again.
    Welcome!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1