Helpful ReplyLockedGibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing

Author
scottcmusic
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 130
2017/12/10 18:02:13 (permalink)

Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing

This whole thing is sad and has me gutted. I have been a user since Cakewalk Pro Audio 8. Cakewalk has been a way of life for me.

I am also a guitar player ... in fact, I was a guitar player way before I was a Sonar player. Gibson itself has already been through this. In the sixties the guitar maker was sold off to CMI, I think ... and then ultimately to Norlin. Why this seems significant, at least to me, is apparently nobody has learned anything. Back then it was thought that Gibson sales could be kicked up a few notches if some folks with real business savvy were to buy Gibson outright and then get out their slide rules and spread sheets and subject the company to their consulting voodoo. They reasoned that with "real businessmen" on board, as opposed to merely artisans, the company could be streamlined and profits maximized. Instead what happened was they made decisions that ultimately caused the company to fall out favor with their core purchasing demographic ... the actual musicians themselves. The working musicians hated the changes that were being made to their beloved instruments and began to distance themselves from Gibson. This opened the door for the boom of Japanese guitar makers from the famed lawsuit era to come in and capitalize on Gibson's new found shortcomings.

What ultimately saved Gibson was a very small group of dedicated employees ... employees that were actually guitarists themselves ... stepped in and bought the company back from Norlin and returned it's quality back to past standards. 

Just checked, and I got about 18 dollars and change on me ... anybody else?

Seriously though, if I had known the degree of financial difficulty Sonar was in I would have become a monthly supporter. I didn't like the idea when it was first implemented, but seriously if I'd have known that just a short time later the company would cease development, I would have found a way to lend the financial support. It's THAT IMPORTANT. 

I made the mistake of just assuming that I could switch over to a monthly customer at any time. Bit me in the ass in a hurry too ...

Maybe there is hope of someone buying what's left of the product and continuing development. Someone who understands how awesome this tool it. It's far too magnificent of a product to just be thrown out with the evening's trash. Sonar was in a class of it's own. The way everything is integrated ... it is truly one-stop DAW shopping ... I've never seen anything like it. I will miss Sonar.

This community for sure needs to remain ... there are many places our nice little forum can be relocated to. I remain hopeful the community will weather the storm.

But geez ...

I hope they remember to release the limitation on versions of Sonar we're allowed to install. If this product is now mine outright, then I should be able to install on as many laptops as I need to. My owned plugins as well.

In profits and bottom line we trust.  

it appears i've fallen off the tune-wagon yet again ...

| scott c
http://scottcmusic.com/
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/scottc
https://soundcloud.com/scott-cmusic
outland144k
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 934
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/11 03:34:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby FCCfirstclass 2017/12/11 15:29:20
Sad to say, but:

We learn from history that we do not learn from history.
-- Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/11 04:12:13 (permalink)
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

~Santayana

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
outland144k
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/11 04:27:01 (permalink)
craigb
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

~Santayana

But if what Hegel said is true and what Santayana said is true, then....

Er, um, what was it Hegel said again?

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

craigb
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/11 05:01:19 (permalink)
Haste makes waste, but, he who hesitates is lost. 

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/11 05:18:22 (permalink)
moobs.

becan.

post count

that is all.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/11 15:06:22 (permalink)
Beagle
moobs.

becan.

post count

that is all.

You forgot Am.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
craigb
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/11 16:03:07 (permalink)
57Gregy
Beagle
moobs.

becan.

post count

that is all.

You forgot Am.

And arse, and black dog.

jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/11 17:08:48 (permalink)
I commented at the time that "lifetime updates" was just a ploy to get a cash infusion.
Bad move.
Not selling CW would be a stooopid move.

Maybe we could crowd-fund the purchase.
scottcmusic
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/11 18:41:29 (permalink)
Yes jm24 ... that is what needs to happen. If people can crowd fund things like personal vacations and even albums (check out the new LP from Marc Ford) ... then why not DAW apps? At least that way the decision makers would be people who treat the product like one of their own children instead of as a business inconvenience.

Remember how Bernie Sanders actually raised more money than any other candidates in the last election by accepting only personal individual donations of $25 or less at a time? You can make a killing like that ... you make up for the small donation size with sheer quantity.

| scott c
craigb
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/11 18:43:17 (permalink)
It probably would be better to create a replacement DAW from the ground up adding all of the best parts of SONAR along with modern, modular code to fix all of the issues.  In over 45 years, I've literally written over a million lines of code (possibly "millions") and a lot was done to code around legacy code issues.  I've found it's much easier (and takes about the same amount of time and effort) to just write it over from scratch using newer methods.  Now you can grab an entire set of functionality, pre-coded and tested instead of creating your own - much better!

If done properly, areas would be modular and users could select different aspects as they wish.  Don't like the staff notation?  Use a different one.  Etc.

craigb
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/11 18:47:09 (permalink)
scottcmusic
Remember how Bernie Sanders actually raised more money than any other candidates in the last election by accepting only personal individual donations of $25 or less at a time? 

Not sure where you got that from, but a quick check of actual contributions shows it's not accurate.  

Just sayin'...

scottcmusic
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/11 18:47:36 (permalink)
In a related note ... does anyone know when downloadable installation files of all our products will be available so we can at least back up what we have been using and have copies of it for future installation? They would need to release aspects of the install like auth codes and things like that.

| scott c
scottcmusic
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/11 18:50:56 (permalink)
craigb
Not sure where you got that from, but a quick check of actual contributions shows it's not accurate.  

Just sayin'...

You're right! I low balled the number. It was really $27 per person, not $25

https://www.theatlantic.c...rs-fundraising/471648/

| scott c
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/11 18:55:23 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beagle 2017/12/12 00:36:25
scottcmusic
Yes jm24 ... that is what needs to happen. If people can crowd fund things like personal vacations and even albums (check out the new LP from Marc Ford) ... then why not DAW apps? At least that way the decision makers would be people who treat the product like one of their own children instead of as a business inconvenience.

Remember how Bernie Sanders actually raised more money than any other candidates in the last election by accepting only personal individual donations of $25 or less at a time? You can make a killing like that ... you make up for the small donation size with sheer quantity.

I would really like someone to explain what they imagine would happen after a 'crowd' bought Cakewalk. You know - then what?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/11 19:07:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jamesg1213 2017/12/11 20:00:49
This is not an issue that will be resolved by "The People". You buy the company, you also buy the debt.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
craigb
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/11 19:10:05 (permalink)
scottcmusic
craigb

Just sayin'...

Never mind.  I wasn't debating the $25 number but the statement that Bernie received more contributions than any other candidate.  Heck, he wasn't even #2.

http://classic.fec.gov/disclosurep/pnational.do

heydan
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/11 21:19:01 (permalink)
"It probably would be better to create a replacement DAW from the ground up adding all of the best parts of SONAR along with modern, modular code to fix all of the issues.  In over 45 years, I've literally written over a million lines of code (possibly "millions") and a lot was done to code around legacy code issues.  I've found it's much easier (and takes about the same amount of time and effort) to just write it over from scratch using newer methods.  Now you can grab an entire set of functionality, pre-coded and tested instead of creating your own - much better!

If done properly, areas would be modular and users could select different aspects as they wish.  Don't like the staff notation?  Use a different one.  Etc."
1+
Been thinking about this maybe being the best course of action as well, ever since past references have occasionally come up about how old the basic code is.
HeyDan 

jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/12 00:24:25 (permalink)
"crowds" own most of the corporations in the country. It is called stock. 

And, there would need to be managers, just like every business.
Mooch4056
Max Output Level: -0.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7494
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/12 00:35:06 (permalink)

I am just speeechless 

From Now On Call Me Conquistador! 

Donate to the cure Bapu Foundation
Email: mooch4056@gmail.com for more info

outland144k
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/12 02:06:14 (permalink)

craigb
scottcmusic
craigb

Just sayin'...

Never mind.  I wasn't debating the $25 number but the statement that Bernie received more contributions than any other candidate.  Heck, he wasn't even #2.

http://classic.fec.gov/disclosurep/pnational.do

It's a great point and I'm not trying to be political, but it did him (and us) no good; the man who won didn't even get the popular vote.

Where one goes with that (in context with the current issue of Sonar being gone), I have no idea....

craigb
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/12 06:45:52 (permalink)
outland144k
It's a great point and I'm not trying to be political, but it did him (and us) no good; the man who won didn't even get the popular vote.

That's because this is the United States where you can't rig elections by jamming the popular vote.  This is why we have this concept called the Electoral College instead.

That said, the winner just may have been a mistake making him the first candidate in many elections that wasn't already owned by the Elite (the two that were supposed to run for the office were Hillary and Jeb Bush).  Of course, if either of them had won, we might already be in FEMA camps by now...

All of the current stock of politicians should be rounded up and sent on a rocketship to the sun as far as I'm concerned.  I'm constantly shocked and saddened how many voters out there don't realize that both of the so-called main parties are two sides of the same coin...

outland144k
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/12 12:17:05 (permalink)
craigb
outland144k

That's because this is the United States where you can't rig elections by jamming the popular vote.  This is why we have this concept called the Electoral College instead.

That said, the winner just may have been a mistake making him the first candidate in many elections that wasn't already owned by the Elite (the two that were supposed to run for the office were Hillary and Jeb Bush).  Of course, if either of them had won, we might already be in FEMA camps by now...

All of the current stock of politicians should be rounded up and sent on a rocketship to the sun as far as I'm concerned.  I'm constantly shocked and saddened how many voters out there don't realize that both of the so-called main parties are two sides of the same coin...

Right. Now they simply rig the electoral college vote instead: a much more stream-lined process, for sure. 

As far as your last comment is concerned, truer words have been rarely written (and segues neatly into previous comment on government as commodity).

Karyn
Ma-Ma
  • Total Posts : 9200
Re: Gibson, Norlin and the fine American tradition of not learning a damn thing 2017/12/12 13:27:38 (permalink)
Politics.

Mekashi Futo
Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1