Helpful ReplyEmail list for Cakewalk to contact all users

Author
Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
2017/12/13 03:29:45 (permalink)

Email list for Cakewalk to contact all users

This subject has been discussed before, and most of the posts that I've read said that nobody got any email information about Cakewalk suspending operations.  And many people were concerned about if and when this forum closes down, how will they get updated information about permanent re-authorizations for Sonar.

So a question for the Cakewalk team:  Do you have an email list of all Sonar users?   And is there a way for people to update their information on the official list?  I think above all else, this should be the first priority in keeping users up to date.
I think almost everyone found out about "the news" through this forum or on social media.  There should be a formal channel of communications via an email list  I'm sure that there are STILL some Cakewalk customers who don't know what's going on because they don't visit this forum or Facebook.  We need to all be informed about any future happenings. 

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: Email list for Cakewalk to contact all users 2017/12/13 03:35:21 (permalink)
Cakewalk has the email address in your account. They could use that to send out a notification if they want and were allowed to do it.
AlanPerkins
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 53
Re: Email list for Cakewalk to contact all users 2017/12/13 04:21:44 (permalink)
They are certainly allowed to do it for legitimate business-oriented reasons. I think the OP raises a very valid point. Why haven't we been contacted by email?

-----------------------------------
Since you asked: 
Computer: Intel i7-2600 on GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 with 32GB 1333 RAM. GTX590 Graphics driving 2xDell 30" screens at 2560x1600. OS on 1TB SDD with Raid 5 SATA HDDs. OS: Win10 x64
Software: SONAR Platinum x64. Kontakt 5, Garritan Aria Libraries (most) LASS full strings and legato sordino, Komplete 8, Ra, Symphonic Choirs and others.
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Email list for Cakewalk to contact all users 2017/12/13 04:37:14 (permalink)
Regarding those people who use Sonar but never visit the forum - sorry to sound unsympathetic but frankly if a huge program like a DAW is a major part of your life (whether professionally or recreationally) then the onus is on you to keep tabs on what's going on with that program either by visiting the company's official website or browsing the official forum. 

Sonar has had so many bugs and issues over the years that I cannot wrap my head around the idea that some people use the program without ever checking in here once in a while. 

Email lists are problematic and are never any guarantee of reaching all users. People change email addresses and don't bother updating lists they're on. Or they use some BS email address that they never check to sign up for things. 

Seems to me that anyone with half a brain who wants to know what's going on with Cakewalk is perfectly capable of finding this forum. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Snehankur
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 507
Re: Email list for Cakewalk to contact all users 2017/12/13 04:45:38 (permalink)
scook
Cakewalk has the email address in your account. They could use that to send out a notification if they want and were allowed to do it.

... if they want...
AlanPerkins
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 53
Re: Email list for Cakewalk to contact all users 2017/12/13 05:11:31 (permalink)
sharke
Regarding those people who use Sonar but never visit the forum - sorry to sound unsympathetic but frankly if a huge program like a DAW is a major part of your life (whether professionally or recreationally) then the onus is on you to keep tabs on what's going on with that program either by visiting the company's official website or browsing the official forum. 

Sonar has had so many bugs and issues over the years that I cannot wrap my head around the idea that some people use the program without ever checking in here once in a while. 

Email lists are problematic and are never any guarantee of reaching all users. People change email addresses and don't bother updating lists they're on. Or they use some BS email address that they never check to sign up for things. 

Seems to me that anyone with half a brain who wants to know what's going on with Cakewalk is perfectly capable of finding this forum. 

I think you may have missed the point: the forum may not still be here.

-----------------------------------
Since you asked: 
Computer: Intel i7-2600 on GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 with 32GB 1333 RAM. GTX590 Graphics driving 2xDell 30" screens at 2560x1600. OS on 1TB SDD with Raid 5 SATA HDDs. OS: Win10 x64
Software: SONAR Platinum x64. Kontakt 5, Garritan Aria Libraries (most) LASS full strings and legato sordino, Komplete 8, Ra, Symphonic Choirs and others.
Ruben
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 472
Re: Email list for Cakewalk to contact all users 2017/12/13 05:38:59 (permalink)
scook
Cakewalk has the email address in your account. They could use that to send out a notification if they want and were allowed to do it.

AlanPerkins
They are certainly allowed to do it for legitimate business-oriented reasons. I think the OP raises a very valid point. Why haven't we been contacted by email?

I understood scook to mean "if they want and were allowed to do it" by Gibson.

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Email list for Cakewalk to contact all users 2017/12/13 07:04:40 (permalink)
AlanPerkins
sharke

I think you may have missed the point: the forum may not still be here.

So if the Cakewalk servers shut down and all operations cease, how are they going to email everyone in their database? 

Either they'll make an announcement on here before the forum shuts down, or it will just go off randomly. If they make an announcement, that announcement will no doubt propagate to many other places online. Anyone who has no idea what had happened and fires up the forum to find it isn't here will then invariably Google "Cakewalk website down" or similar, and find the information pretty quickly. 

If it just goes off randomly without any prior warning on the forum, then that means something happened which leaves it very unlikely that they will be able to email everyone. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
anydmusic
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Email list for Cakewalk to contact all users 2017/12/13 11:16:52 (permalink)
sharke

For hobbyists there is a real chance that they will not us Sonar for a period of weeks or even months and Cakewalk should be taking this into account.

Graham
Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
Cubase 9.5
Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
chuckebaby
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Email list for Cakewalk to contact all users 2017/12/13 14:02:58 (permalink)
This has been my concern since the beginning.
Im also curious why this thread was moved to the coffee house and not the Cakewalk store which this seems to be a legit question for the transition team.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Email list for Cakewalk to contact all users 2017/12/13 22:08:44 (permalink)
Is it wrong that I laughed at the very idea that CW could finally manage to send an email to all of their customers at the same time ?

It would certainly be a first. Always baffled me that a bunch of computer geeks could never manage a simple "send to all".
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 729
Re: Email list for Cakewalk to contact all users 2017/12/13 22:16:07 (permalink)
paulo

Is it wrong that I laughed at the very idea that CW could finally manage to send an email to all of their customers at the same time ?

No it is not, they are and have always been hopeless in that regard, as the plethora of posts over the years attest to.

Intel i7 4790 @3.6Ghz - 32GB Ram - Windows 10 Pro 64bit - RME Fireface UFX+
Studio One 4 Professional, REAPER, CbB-(Couldnb't be Bothered)
More Plugs than Plumbers Warehouse.

Happy Studio One User Since August 2015

"It's the entertainment value, the comic relief . . . plus the Software and Deals Forum"

slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Email list for Cakewalk to contact all users 2017/12/13 22:56:13 (permalink)
For "current" subscribers to SONAR, I expect they think you will figure it out when you go to your account to find out why the updates have ceased. That leaves "permanent" owners of earlier SONAR versions and other software pretty much in the dark unless, like most denizens of these forums, they spend an inordinate amount of time reading audio software news. Presumably they will learn that there is no repository of value for their synths or other applications when they try to install them on a new computer. At that point I will bet they wish they had been warned to secure a copy of the files and activation codes. It is not at all clear that Cakewalk owes any legal responsibility to ongoing support or  to make any files available once they officially cease to exist.
Leee
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: Email list for Cakewalk to contact all users 2017/12/15 01:33:05 (permalink)
chuckebaby
This has been my concern since the beginning.
Im also curious why this thread was moved to the coffee house and not the Cakewalk store which this seems to be a legit question for the transition team.

I was very surprised myself that my post was moved to the coffeehouse forum.  This was a question/comment for the folks at Cakewalk to keep all it's users informed.  It wasn't meant to be a "fun" discussion to be tossed around in the non-Cakewalk section of this forum. 

To the moderator who moved this post, your actions only increase my feelings of being kicked to the curb by an uncaring company.

Lee Shapiro
www.soundclick.com/leeshapiro

Welcome BandLab and thank you for giving Cakewalk and Sonar a new lease on life.
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Email list for Cakewalk to contact all users 2017/12/15 02:51:43 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jamesg1213 2017/12/15 11:08:42
Leee
I was very surprised myself that my post was moved to the coffeehouse forum.  This was a question/comment for the folks at Cakewalk to keep all it's users informed.  It wasn't meant to be a "fun" discussion to be tossed around in the non-Cakewalk section of this forum.  

To the moderator who moved this post, your actions only increase my feelings of being kicked to the curb by an uncaring company.

Sorry to break this to you, but there is NO "company" any more!  I really don't understand how people keep missing that point.  It's just a kid's toy robot walking around in a field until its battery dies while the kid (with the extra batteries) is long gone.

The reason your post got moved down to the dredges of the Coffee House is that there are still some members that feel the need to close the barn door after the animals have all gotten out.  They are exercising their last bit of power before all the lights go off.  There's no other reason to continue their moderator programming since they no longer have a company's image to protect.

There are two options:

1)  Put up with it and hold onto whatever dream you may have, or

2)  Move on with either continued use of SONAR without company support (though there ARE other forums with community support) or find a new DAW to fall for.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
stevecase19
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: Email list for Cakewalk to contact all users 2017/12/15 10:41:11 (permalink)
This is exactly what happened to me. I started using Cakewalk in the days when it was essentially a midi sequencer with the ability to run a couple of audio tracks in parallel. At some point I upgraded to Cakewalk Professional 7 and used that for several years. My projects are relatively simple, and my workload tends to be seasonal, in that I use the DAW for Christmas productions (children singing in church). At the start of this year my Windows XP Desktop (still managing to run Professional 7, albeit with a few issues) gave up the ghost, and I was forced into buying a shiny new Windows 10 PC. It was finally time to bite the bullet and upgrade to Sonar. I tested out a trial version earlier this year, and was pleased that it was able to open all my old bundle files so that I could rescue the midi and audio content. I played around with this program for two or three weeks, to get used to the interface, and then on October 31st I purchased Sonar Artist, not realising what was just around the corner. Over the next four or five weeks I  successfully put my Christmas project together. It was only about a week ago, when I had a problem using Sonar on my laptop, that I decided to turn to this forum to see if I could obtain any advice. I saw the titles of the recent threads and realised something bad had happened. Sooner or later I would probably have realised that the promised monthly updates were not happening but, apart from that, I would have been completely unaware of events.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1