Helpful ReplyNew Daw

Author
Metaclass
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22
2017/12/13 21:16:19 (permalink)

New Daw

Looking for a new DAW, that we all probably have to, after almost 20 years of use. I have to ask : 

After trying Studion One, and CUBASE, I foudn to my surprise, that non of them can record on the same track and listen to the previous recording ( ont the same track )simultanously !`? So, really I am spioiled by SONAR . Also a friend using Logic, says its not possible, .

Well, this feature, I HAVE TO include in my new daw. What DAW have this feature ?
almeister
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 111
Re: New Daw 2017/12/13 21:21:22 (permalink)
Check the Presonus forum. There's a lot of info on this there but I'm pretty sure you can do it but it depends on the style of monitoring you choose to use.
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=153&t=25650

their forums have a lot of good info
interpolated
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 830
Re: New Daw 2017/12/13 21:23:37 (permalink)
As long the software works for the interim it will give you a chance to convert your projects. There is crossgrades to Cubase which is always an option. Look at Magix Samplitude as well as an option.

I have computer stuff.

https://soundcloud.com/sigmadelta
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: New Daw 2017/12/13 21:24:30 (permalink)
Of course you can do it in Studio One. There are several monitoring options. You just have not found out how to find them and change it. In fact there are quite a few options in that department. That one is called tape style monitoring.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
the_user_formally_known_as_glennbo
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 317
Re: New Daw 2017/12/13 21:59:53 (permalink)
Metaclass
Looking for a new DAW, that we all probably have to, after almost 20 years of use. I have to ask : 

After trying Studion One, and CUBASE, I foudn to my surprise, that non of them can record on the same track and listen to the previous recording ( ont the same track )simultanously !`? So, really I am spioiled by SONAR . Also a friend using Logic, says its not possible, .

Well, this feature, I HAVE TO include in my new daw. What DAW have this feature ?

I do that on every song I create in REAPER. You do need to set "Free Item Positioning", and then you can record a whole entire song with hundreds of clips on a single track if you wanted to.

In my way of working though, I'll record a section of a track, like say a bass guitar line, up to a point where I'm not sure what to play for the next change, so I'll stop there, and then start composing and getting proficient at playing the next section. Once I've got the next bit figured out, I'll punch into record on the same track, a measure or two *before* the last recorded clip ends. Then I just continue on playing/recording the next section. When I'm done with a track, I usually have *many* overlapping clips, and will then take the time to slip edit the ends and clean it up.

The other thing I do frequently when stacking on a single track is when doing backup vocals.  While I'm at a particular section, I might record three to six harmony vocals, all on the same track while I'm on a roll. I can always split them out to separate tracks later, if I really need to. Frequently, I'll leave them all on a single track, since each clip has it's own separate volume, pan, FX, and even stuff like pitch, volume, or pan envelopes.

Glennbo
---------------------------------------------------------
http://soundclick.com/glennbo

dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
Re: New Daw 2017/12/13 22:16:11 (permalink)
What the...of course most DAWs can do the same things it is whether they do it well or not. Just get Studio One 3.

Sonar X series 
https://youtu.be/9YNplnhTAZY Steal My Girl
 https://youtu.be/A0VPi_UZmLo Moon & Stars

KRK VXT6 Studio One 3  Main: SPLAT for Lifetime: Formerly known as...
Nothing beats the best!
pfossi
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 71
Re: New Daw 2017/12/13 22:59:14 (permalink)
I’ve had Studio One 3 Pro for three weeks. What I’ve found so far is that it can do pretty much everything SPLAT did. The problem is, finding it. There are some things that make it easy. The one thing I haven’t found is a forum like this one, for quick answers. But they have many more tutorials and YouTube videos that cover pretty much everything major.

Intel I-7 4790 3.6GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 240, Windows 10 home 64, 8 Gig Ram, C:/ 2 T HD, Music Storage 1 T HD, Sonar Platinum lifetime, Behringer Xenyx 1204 UFX Mixer interface
Jeff Evans
Re: New Daw 2017/12/13 23:02:35 (permalink)
The Studio One forum is also excellent for quick answers. Some very knowledgable people over there.

https://forums.presonus.com

There is also the excellent Studio One Expert site too. Something Sonar never had:

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/studio-one-expert

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
Re: New Daw 2017/12/13 23:04:07 (permalink)
It's a great product Teddy Riley uses it. Infact he has been an advocate for it he says the sound is great and mixing in it is better than Pro Tools. You can check out his you tube vids.

Sonar X series 
https://youtu.be/9YNplnhTAZY Steal My Girl
 https://youtu.be/A0VPi_UZmLo Moon & Stars

KRK VXT6 Studio One 3  Main: SPLAT for Lifetime: Formerly known as...
Nothing beats the best!
jeff oliver
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 122
Re: New Daw 2017/12/13 23:58:24 (permalink)
I'm loving Studio One so far. Just seems to work. No issues yet. The recording modes took a minute to figure out but I'm good now. I'm using the external screen to view my meters during tracking. Like the fact that you can record arm or off a track at any time. Good luck to you all in whatever DAW you decide on.

HP pavilion i7 6gig ram
Windows 8.1 x64
HP 5500 onboard graphics
Focusrite 18i20 Sonar Platinum x64
batsbrew
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: New Daw 2017/12/14 00:04:12 (permalink)
Metaclass

After trying Studion One, and CUBASE, I foudn to my surprise, that non of them can record on the same track and listen to the previous recording ( ont the same track )simultanously 

this is incorrect.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

AndrewLMacaulay
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: New Daw 2017/12/14 00:11:33 (permalink)
I've played with the trial of Studio One, but as I am primarily a MIDI/VST instruments composer, I find it very limited compared to SONAR and lacking in a number of key areas for that side of things - we really WERE spoiled by SONAR!

For me, it is looking like Cubase is the way I'll have to go to get the level of MIDI editing I need, but still finding the workflow/UI in Cubase quite dated and not that optimised for touch/high-DPI screens - although it does seem to provide much of the MIDI editing I need. And with the use of DXshell (free) and jBridge (small cost), it looks like I can get pretty much all of my instruments and effects running under it (there are a few still to be tested). Although the pretty awesome Cakewalk Adaptive Limiter, although it runs, is locked to running under SONAR

From what I've seen, other DAWs out there have more modern UI's including support for touch and better high-DPI support, but don't do the audio or the MIDI/VST instrument editing that well ---- and then there are some DAWs that have UIs that feel like a 10-year-old designed them 

So I'm still trying them all out (takes a lot of time to do this), and still planning to run SPlat until it breaks, but feels like it is probably best to start learning Cubase, ready for in the inevitable......

.....unless anyone can suggest better options for MIDI/Instrument work! ...... or unless someone buys SONAR and gives it life again [we can hope!]

And when I've collated all the info I've found about plugin compatibility and feature comparisons, I'll probably try to post it somewhere in case it's useful for others.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: New Daw 2017/12/14 00:32:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby texasaurus rex 2017/12/14 09:17:58
Check out Samplitude.

I'm 75% MIDI and 25% audio. Everybody does audio just fine. It's with MIDI, in particular multi-track editing and multi-timbral routing where most fall short of SONAR. Samplitude does it well. More important, it works in a very similar manner to SONAR, potentially flattening the learning curve.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Jeff Evans
Re: New Daw 2017/12/14 00:34:33 (permalink)
Hi Andrew. The trial version is nothing like the Pro version of Studio One. What midi editing features do you need? Studio One is much deeper midi wise than most people around here actually realise. Audio editing is seriously powerful.

Sure midi may not be as deep as Cubase or Sonar but still way powerful none the less.  I compose music (for a living) and have a big hardware setup as well as a large range of VST's.  Never had a problem yet realising my ideas. 

Studio One can also do multitrack midi editing for Dave's interest.

JonD
Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3617
Re: New Daw 2017/12/14 01:20:12 (permalink)
Groove3 is a great resource for tutorial videos, especially right now with their 9.99 per month subscription special. which gives you streaming access to their entire library.  It's easy to cancel your subscription at any time, so you can join for one month - more than enough time to pick up the basics of any DAW - or keep it going for as many months as you need.... They have something like 15 videos on Studio One 3 alone.

YouTube is free and also great, but the quality of videos can be a mixed bag, so you'll need a bit more time and patience (You also have to deal with the constant commercials).

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
werewindle
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 214
Re: New Daw 2017/12/14 07:22:19 (permalink)
Strongly suggest the Groove 3 tutorials if you actually go for Studio One. It cuts down the learning curve dramatically.
I would probably have been very frustrated if I dived straight in but it literally took me minutes to set up the template for the 1st project to be migrated and that was with the additional complication of 13 mix tracks for SD3 which is just 12 clicks but without tutorial it would never have occurred to me how to do it (okay eventually it would have).
My only issue is with SONAR & Console 1 as I can't save my track presets so have to screen clip them in interim.

Sonar: Platinum & Studio One 3
Production PC: Intel i7-6950x 10 cores (20 processors) CPU @ 3.00GHz (with overclock to 3.60GHz), RAM 64GB, Windows 10 - 64 bit, Sound Blaster ZxR Pro, Dual Nvidia GTX1080 with 2 widescreen Monitors
MIDI: Akai Advance 49, Roland A-500Pro, Akai MPD230, Softube Console 1, Akai EWI USB, Roli Seaboard 25
Instruments: Martin D12X1AE Dreadnought - 12 string, Martin Ed Sheeran X Signature Edition, Fender Standard Precision-Bass Black MN, Gibson Custom Shop EDS-1275 Cherry (12 & 6 string dual)
Frank-US
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: New Daw 2017/12/14 07:56:21 (permalink)
dappa1
It's a great product Teddy Riley uses it. Infact he has been an advocate for it he says the sound is great and mixing in it is better than Pro Tools. You can check out his you tube vids.

Not that this is super important for any ones decision but Teddy switched back to Cubase in 2015.
Frank-US
  • Total Posts : 57
Re: New Daw 2017/12/14 08:01:08 (permalink)
batsbrew
Metaclass

After trying Studion One, and CUBASE, I foudn to my surprise, that non of them can record on the same track and listen to the previous recording ( ont the same track )simultanously 

this is incorrect.

Metaclass ist not talking about different monitor modes. These are available in most DAW's. It's rather about listen to two different files on the same track at the same time. This is how I understood his question.
texasaurus rex
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: New Daw 2017/12/14 09:36:08 (permalink)
Purchased Samplitude and Studio One, our crew is enjoying learning both. First time we have ever recorded same song/project on two DAW's simultaneously, evaluating in real time the differences, ease of use,etc.  Tons of online tutorials for S1, while Samplitude is slim pickin's.  Samplitude is way better than 1st realized;the packade deal with SpectraLayers Pro,Melodyne,etc., was the deal of a lifetime.  Studio One is top-notch on every level,with many hardware options provided by Presonus that sync smooth as butter. Problem is, personally...I use Sonar/love Sonar/dream in Sonar, although lately the dreams have become nightmares. It's been a hella 2017, all I can say...we sure appreciate the other DAW/software companies that have stepped up to help during this forced transition. 
subtlearts
Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2200
Re: New Daw 2017/12/14 10:25:21 (permalink)
Reaper won me over. It's astonishingly good. Takes a bit of learning but the more I learn the more I like it. 

tobias tinker 
music is easy: just start with complete silence, and take away the parts you don't like!
tobiastinker.com
aeosrecords.com
soundfascination.com
Sonar Platinum, a bunch of other stuff...
geetsifly
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 192
Re: New Daw 2017/12/14 12:58:41 (permalink)
+1 on Reaper

I have been tinkering with it for the last couple of weeks and its clearly an engineering centric product. (as the guy running Cockos would say) but routing is really powerful and there is a lot of really powerful functionality in there. My thinking is if I had to steer someone brand new to recording to a DAW I might not choose Reaper (not for sure) but for someone who knows recording its great stuff. I'm finding it very stable and lean performance wise on my kick around laptop (not optimised for audio in any way)

I am thinking of changing my whole philosophy from the all eggs in one basket like I did with Sonar Platinum to spending 60 bucks on Reaper and blowing the rest of my budget on plugins. I always knew it was possible to get marooned plugin wise with the locked down stuff in Sonar, but its really irking me now.

Sonar Platinum / Windows 7 64 SP1 / Intel I7 / 12GB ram / RME Hammerfall 9632 Interface / BCF2000 Control Surface
Lets connect on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/geetsifly or Reverbnation: http://www.reverbnation.com/geetsifly
AndrewLMacaulay
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: New Daw 2017/12/15 10:25:11 (permalink)
Jeff Evans
Hi Andrew. The trial version is nothing like the Pro version of Studio One. What midi editing features do you need? Studio One is much deeper midi wise than most people around here actually realise. Audio editing is seriously powerful.

Sure midi may not be as deep as Cubase or Sonar but still way powerful none the less.  I compose music (for a living) and have a big hardware setup as well as a large range of VST's.  Never had a problem yet realising my ideas. 

Studio One can also do multitrack midi editing for Dave's interest.

Things that I use in SONAR in the MIDI side of things, and have not (yet) found using the trial of Studio One:
  • MIDI events list/editing - a useful tool to fine tweak some sequences
  • step sequencer, although probably could do this with plugins anyway
  • MIDI FX plugins of any form, either using Cubase-style, Sonar-style MFX or VST (and using bridge)
  • advanced copy and paste of linked clips that SONAR had, although duplicate seems to be pretty clos
And looking further, the lack of proper MPE support for my ROLI Seaboard has become the deal breaker - the current solution (16 tracks under one instrument) isn't great and, from the forums, seems to have issues with some of the features of the ROLI Seaboard as well. And the list of MPE supporting DAWs is actually pretty limited (wish I'd seen that earlier - would have saved me doing a lot of testing of different software) which probably lands up pretty much making the decision for me!

... so it seems, Cubase here I come :-)
Metaclass
Re: New Daw ..... reaper in the lead, so far . 2017/12/15 19:26:13 (permalink)
THx a lot !:) all you people. It feels wistfully, ot leave a platform like this, sadly saying farewell, after 20 years . I decided to send back CUBASE, and I unsinstalled Studio One . They simply dont have the sound on sound ( like in SONAR ). Exaclty like Glennbo is saying. As a guitarist, imagine case : The chord just befor the Bridge : Add another layer, athat blends in with previous audio, and not having to set up a new trask , or some timeconsuming "fixes " .

To my BIG surpris very few have this feature. And, when you hav gotten used to it, you will FOREVER need it !:) Why should a sudio track be less functional recordingwise that a MIDI track ?
   I now finally figured out that Reaper have this feature, thank GOD . Stuoi One, can dub record, somehow, but, its muting the prev. recorded meterial, when in rec. mode.  I think also the Aurdor ( or whats the name ) can, but its ,what I hear, very unsatable in Win .   an a "becoming of age man".

I in the last year, recorded som of my song, writteen about 15-20 year ago, and published this year ...... mostly into jazz, this waas like a "young dream of popstar"-release, but anyway.  thanks for you company. Plsz dont "glide" and lure yourself into EDM-spolished, nonsens, industry, non-organic , plasticsounding music production ! Do some real playing, dont stop to play guitar ! . . . . best regards from Per merakerli, Norway .
https://open.spotify.com/album/4AIgvAeKEiDkb50oQ74UIe

I also have hte BULLaH prject, ambient ( techno - www.bullahmusic.com 
Metaclass
Re: New Daw 2017/12/15 19:30:21 (permalink)
to Glennbo : I am also a jazzman :) palying guitar here : thanks for sharing your thougts on my Thread : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTLjx_-Z3V4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1