Helpful ReplyPLEASE HELP Experiencing bad pops crackles & dropouts after Win10 Update, very frustrated

Author
RelayerAudio
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2017/12/19 00:18:42 (permalink)

PLEASE HELP Experiencing bad pops crackles & dropouts after Win10 Update, very frustrated

So after months of totally solid performance, my copy of Sonar Artist started experiencing pops and dropouts even during playback of single-track sessions that are only 44.1\16bit. It will play normally for maybe a minute and then start skipping\popping and eventually it just stops entirely and I get that little blue box in the lower right that says "The audio engine has stopped responding." This started happening directly after Win10 decided it had to update something, it rebooted and did that blue "Updating Windows; Please Don't Turn Off Your Computer" screen with the spinning circle of white dots. Took about 10 minutes, and when windows finally started and I tried to work on a session the issues began. What could have changed in windows that would cause this?

My interface is a Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL. My system specs are: Sonar Artist (latest version), AMD A8-7410 APU 2.2Ghz, 8GB Ram.

Everything is up to date OTHER than the control software\monitor mixer for the Audiobox, because the latest versions don't allow you to do direct hardware monitoring of the inputs which is essential for me when tracking bass. But again, even with this old version everything was working like a charm until that automatic windows update.

ASIO Buffer is set as high as possible as well. CPU and Ram Usage in task manager are both quite low, less than 7% each. It's just so frustrating, after months of flawless performance windows forces me to do some mysterious ambiguous "update" and breaks everything....
paul jenkins
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 346
Re: PLEASE HELP Experiencing bad pops crackles & dropouts after Win10 Update, very frustra 2017/12/19 11:21:35 (permalink)
Dude......disable windows updates......its only a matter of time before an update breaks sonar.....and theres no team at sonar anymore to fix it.........ive heard on this grape vine, windows 8.1 is a good os to roll back to,

Windows 10, 64 bit, intel core i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHZ  2.59GHZ......12 gig ram ....Sonar lifetime updates, presonus audiobox 1818 interface, and beringer UFX1604 mixer interface/control surface...... All round musician, multi-instrumentalist/songwriter.....attempting to produce good music.....started on music creator 6 2014, bought sonar 2015....and now invested in lifetime updates......Learning always!!!!Thanx cakewalk and online forum
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: PLEASE HELP Experiencing bad pops crackles & dropouts after Win10 Update, very frustra 2017/12/19 13:21:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby chuckebaby 2017/12/19 14:13:09
Major Windows updates reset all "tweaks" done previously. Also it re-instantiate all drivers, sometimes incorrectly. And sure, all "new" files are subject to me checked by mighty anti-virus.
So:
1) check the power plan, make sure USB power saving option is still off, CPU frequency low limit is high, etc
2) uninstall and install audio/video drivers (according to the manufacturer proposed was to do this "clean")
3) disable all unused devices (f.e. HDMI Audio), try to remember other tweaks you had
4) let system run without touching it for a while (a day), so it does all scans/optimizations/pre-fetching/telemetry/etc.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1