midi controller

Author
kawika
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 259
2017/12/20 06:36:57 (permalink)

midi controller

I'm looking at midi controllers. Which ones do you like w/Sonar Plat?

thanks.........

Sonar Platinum/J. Roseberry Pro Studio win-10/Antelope Goliath.

11 Replies Related Threads

anydmusic
    • Total Posts : 251
    Re: midi controller 2017/12/20 09:12:02 (permalink)
    I have a Novation Launch Control and some Keyboards.

Graham
    Windows 10 64 bit - Intel i7-4790, 16GB, 2 x 256GB SSD
    Cubase 9.5
    Sonar Platinum (Rapture Pro, Z3TA 2, CA2A, plus some other bits)
    Delta 24/96, UAD 1, UA25 EX, 2 x MidiSport,
    IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
    Waves MaxxVolume, IR 1, Aphex Enhancer, Abbey Plates
    Korg Legacy, VStation, Bass Station
    kawika
    Re: midi controller 2017/12/21 00:46:12 (permalink)
    Thanks. I  am primarily a guitarist and use Fishman Tripleplay but I'm looking for a compatible keyboard so that guest artist-keyboard players can record. What midi-keyboard controllers do you like?
    anydmusic
    Re: midi controller 2017/12/21 10:32:55 (permalink)
    I have three keyboards attached to my computer via Midi:
    1. A Casio Home Piano - this has a great feel and is the one any "real" piano players prefer. They tend to comment how surprised they are that Casio make something so good. I run this with local off.
    2. Kawai K1-II - this is an 80s Synth with an unweighted keyboard I still use some of the sounds and this is my favourite given my limited keyboard skills.
    3. Alto Live 49 - smaller keyboard that is weighted but does not have a proper piano action. I use this for trying things out and a few of the people that I work with like the feel but tend to complain about the lack of keys.
    From what you have said my guess is that one of the many 61 note controller keyboards would be good for you. This would basically give you the combined capabilities of my Kawai Keyboard and Novation Controller.

The BUT here is that these are usually unweighted so may not be suitable for the keyboard players that you work with who would probably prefer a hammer action 88 note keyboard.

Best next steps here IMHO are work out what you want in terms of keyboard, sliders, knobs and pads, get some input from your keyboard playing friends then look at the options to see what is a good fit for you.

Graham
    Cubase 9.5
    IKMultiMedia - (SampleTank 3, Miroslav 2, Syntronik, TRacks 5, Modo Bass), Band In A Box, Sound Quest, VS Pro, Kinetic, Acid, Sound Forge, Jammer
    kawika
    Re: midi controller 2017/12/22 23:35:44 (permalink)
    Good Advice! thanks. Does the Casio "get along" with Sonar?  What model is it?
    anydmusic
    Re: midi controller 2017/12/23 16:51:05 (permalink)
    kawika
    Good Advice! thanks. Does the Casio "get along" with Sonar?  What model is it?

Its a PX-150 which is a Home Piano I have had it for a few years so there is probably a newer model.

The MIDI is via built in USB and I have never had a problem using it with Sonar. I never play the sounds in the Piano via MIDI, as I have other Piano Sounds that I use, and I have not found a way to turn Local Off from Sonar so I do this manually which requires pressing a button then a key. 

Its also quite nice just to sit and play, which is the main reason that I got it as I keep promising myself I will practice piano more.

Graham
    Cubase 9.5
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: midi controller 2017/12/23 17:12:18 (permalink)
    What's important is if the primary use is by a piano player then for sure you'll want a home or stage digital PIANO, not a keyboard. Keyboards feel different and are more for playing other things like synths and organ. And even keyboards have different feels and some feel like plastic toys. Al lot of them on the market these days are aimed at music "production" and not apropriate for a real keyboard players needs. 

I bought a Roland A49 becuase it has a solid feel to the keys and while it's not weighted, for me it also works well for piano parts,, I'm not a keyboard player but over time I've spent a million hours playing parts into my computer and I like the keyboard to feel just so. 

I also have an Akia Synth station 25 and it feels like a toy , and it has no midi driver so Sonar always gets disconected. Everytime I go to use it I have to re set it up in Sonar. The Roland has a midi driver and never gets shut off it's always there when I need it. So there's that to think about. I know both Yamaha and Roland supply mid usb drivers for sure, not sure about Casio I guess you can go to the support page and see what it say's. I like the feel of Casio's too! 

You save money on keyboards that make no sounds on there own. But it's nice to have a digital piano to practice on. I'm looking to get one so my grandson can learn piano. Seems they start at about $600 and Casio's are one of the best bang for the bucks. Roland is my favourite for the  piano sound and most have proper 1/4" outputs. Yamaha sucks because they only have the headphone jack. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

kawika
    Re: midi controller 2017/12/23 22:34:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. As I read, I'm thinking that the piano player I have in mind, who is very good but not technological (nor am I), may have a midi out on his keyboard. I'm thinking most keyboards would? So....I am imagining having him play using any of his sounds he feels most comfortable with and afterwards directing his midi info to my e.g., Ivory II grand software. Does that sound feasible?
    anydmusic
    Re: midi controller 2017/12/23 22:47:43 (permalink)
    kawika
    Thanks for the info. As I read, I'm thinking that the piano player I have in mind, who is very good but not technological (nor am I), may have a midi out on his keyboard. I'm thinking most keyboards would? So....I am imagining having him play using any of his sounds he feels most comfortable with and afterwards directing his midi info to my e.g., Ivory II grand software. Does that sound feasible?

That sounds like it could be a good solution for you.

Graham
    Cubase 9.5
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: midi controller 2017/12/24 01:32:14 (permalink)
    I always record midi from keyboards. I might also record the audio out, but midi is the way to go because of the ease of editing out mistakes etc. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

filtersweep
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 194
    Re: midi controller 2017/12/26 15:56:58 (permalink)
    Something to consider if you want a high quality weighted keyboard is to check ebay for used keyboard workstations from korg, yamaha, roland and kurzweil. These offer excellent keyboards, in most cases better than weighted controller keyboards (only the best controllers, most expensive, will have keyboards equivalent to the better workstations), many will also have easily assignable controls and they offer boat loads of on board sounds that will rival a lot of soft synths and are always available without even booting your computer. I have kurz pc3x and would not trade it for anything. The others have comparable offerings and can be found on ebay at a fraction of new cost.
    Brian

Sonar Platinum (lifetime). Kurzweil PC3X. Native Intruments S61. Native Instruments Maschine Micro Mk2, Roland OctaCapture. JBL 4328 monitors and 4312 sub. Windows 10. Intel 6700X, 32 gB RAM,  3 Crucial SSD (250/500/500). Komplete 10, Ample Sound SG, AAS Lounge Lizard/Strum/Strings/Chromo/UltraAnalog/Tass, Addictive Drums 2, a few others.
    kawika
    Re: midi controller 2017/12/30 08:25:31 (permalink)
    Thanks Filtersweep....good advice!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1