Helpful ReplyWhich DAW - Poll Result

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Marshall
Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 602
Re: Which DAW - Poll Result 2018/01/17 19:41:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby burgerproduction 2018/01/17 20:04:16
Starise
I feel like the guy who lost his wife and went looking for a replacement. I've dated a few new daws but still like the way I could work in Sonar. So far no other has been as easy for me. Admittedly this is because I grew accustomed to how it all worked and I could pull off some amazing things in it really fast.

I'm still dating. I have a few girlfriends but no one I plan to marry.....yet.

I feel like the guy whose wife left him and now will be forever grateful. Would never have left of my own accord...but boy, I'm glad she did. Got me a younger, fitter model 😉
marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: Which DAW - Poll Result 2018/01/17 20:33:05 (permalink)
IMHO it is very difficult to find the "right" DAW software, because there are so many details that have to be considered. And out there on the internet you cannot find an up-to-date, complete comparison overview. What are the unbiased arguments to choose a DAW? How easy is it to find the information?

I have read someone writing in this thread that probably he does not need the "pro" version of a DAW. I have also thought about this, because using Splat I found out that Professional would have solved my requirements to 98%. And such a fact can turn the choice of a DAW upside down!

E.g. Studio One, that is so beloved on this forum, does only have an Artist version as a small brother and this one does even not support VST/VST3/AU! So you can't use any outside plugins.

Or if you like/need some 32-bit plugins, which DAWs support that?

I think it would be very helpful to collect all the arguments that are important and then create an overview of the DAWs listed in this poll. But on the other hand each DAW has its advantages and its shortages that you learn to
go round.

... many years before ...
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Which DAW - Poll Result 2018/01/17 21:46:28 (permalink)
Each DAW has a 2000+ list of features. There was already several comparisons, several "I need..." threads, etc.
Demo does not simplify the choice, it takes time to adopt, (really) find what is there and what is not.

But I guess personal "must have" list can reduce the number of candidates for many users. For example for me, that reduction was down to 1

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Which DAW - Poll Result 2018/01/17 22:39:58 (permalink)
marled

I think it would be very helpful to collect all the arguments that are important and then create an overview of the DAWs listed in this poll. But on the other hand each DAW has its advantages and its shortages that you learn to
go round.

I think each user needs to work through that exercise on their own, as to what is "right" will depend on what works best for each individual, and that will vary.

First decide what you need and what is important to you.  Then download the demos, read the manuals, watch some videos, ask some questions.  Most important, have fun, and make some music! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
igiwigi
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 437
Re: Which DAW - Poll Result 2018/01/17 23:47:57 (permalink)
Studio 1 , no Sys Ex support

Mixcraft is best for VST and simplicity . Very easy to get around.

For my Genos keyboard workstation Cubase Is the boy

Hi Maried

GO for Cubase ,the Intelligent option

CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: Which DAW - Poll Result 2018/01/18 00:39:21 (permalink)
Go for Studio One. The dumb stupid option that works great and isn't actually dumb and stupid I just like repeating things..

Or go Sonar....
CTStump
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 409
Re: Which DAW - Poll Result 2018/01/18 02:26:11 (permalink)
CakeAlexSHere
Go for Studio One. The dumb stupid option that works great and isn't actually dumb and stupid I just like repeating things..

Or go Sonar....

Yeah, on and on it goes and the griping has no end. Personally I think if Sonar works why worry but after using another DAW for a while(that really works mind you) you find out what you were missing and start to wonder why you didn't try it sooner.

I'm used too Sonar so It's Still my goto DAW. When I open up Studio One and never experience crashs(which I have accepted for years in Sonar) and the lack of menus with every click it's a breath of freash air.....

But I STILL go back to SONAR.

Sonar 8.5PE
Project 5.2
Self Built 2.6Ghz dual core AMD 5200+
8 Gb DDR Ram
Windows Vista 64
Emu 1616 pci
Various collection of old musical toys

burgerproduction
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 209
Re: Which DAW - Poll Result 2018/01/18 09:39:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/01/18 14:57:03
marled
I have read someone writing in this thread that probably he does not need the "pro" version of a DAW.

That was me, I think.
marled
I think it would be very helpful to collect all the arguments that are important and then create an overview of the DAWs listed in this poll.

I would argue that, at the end of the day, you need to think about what you need it for and how you work.
I was happily using Sonar Studio 8.5 for years before an offer came along a few years back to get a ridiculously low price on the new Sonar Artist. After getting that, another offer came along to upgrade to lifetime SPLAT. Over the course of a few years I went from Studio 8.5 to SPLAT, but my working method didn't change that much. So, now that I'm considering moving onto another DAW, I've made a check-list of what I need it for.

What do I use the DAW for:
  • I record guitar and vocals - I could do that on a freeware. Wavefom 8 and Presonus have free versions which could do that.
  • I use the Softsynths and VST instruments - even with the huge array of synths and instruments in SPLAT, I still find myself going back to the few top notch instruments I bought seperately, such as Native Instruments pianos and BFD. Hell, I even prefer to use my old Trilogy bass rather than the numerous bass mods and synths that have come bundled over the years. The one instrument I do use again and again is Addictive Drums 2, which I can use in any other DAW as it has a seperate license. Not dissing Samplitude, but when I dug deep into the bundled instruments (auditioning them and listening to samples), there was nothing that would replace or surpass what I already own. It's a huge bundle for the money, but if you don't need it, it's just bloatware.
  • I use FX - Most of the effects can be used in other DAWs. Even some that I believed would be locked to Sonar are usable in Reaper, so do I need anymore fx? Probably not. I keep going back to the same Fx again and again, while others gather dust. I tried out Presonus Sudio 3 and really liked the fx. don't know if I need them more than the ones I use though.
  • I record live music and repair sound - this is something that I've always done outside of SPLAT. I used Cool Edit 2 for years which has spectral views and cleaning fx, then I got Izotope products which also have stand alone versions, and recently I upgraded to Sound Forge 12. Spectral Layers looks amazing, but I just don't need all the bells and whistles, and, as many others have said, I'll probably use it to 50% of its ability. I rarely get paid for this work; I do it as a favour. I cannot justify a costly outlay.
  • I'm a hobbiest musician - though I have released records; had music on radio and TV; even done a soundtrack; I am essentially a hobbiest, not a pro. I work on a laptop with an Intel i5, 8GB Ram and use an old Edirol Firewire FA-101. If I upgrade to a Ferrari, I will essentially be running it with a Fiat Panda's engine. As such, I cannot justiy the outlay, or the SSD space, for a super DAW. SPLAT was a luxury. I should probably upgrade the computer before I upgrade the DAW. Also, I've found that some DAWs just don't sit well on a laptop screen. They are designed for split screens (and rightly so).
So after weighing up all these options, I have decided to stick with what I can for now, have Reaper as a back-up just in case, and upgrade some instruments instead. Hell! I could even go back to working on Sonar 8.5 if worst comes to worst:D
I've personally got to be realistic instead of impulse buying. Those of you who do music  production for a living will have other needs which require more serious upgrades, others of you who are musicians and make bedroom recordings will have smaller budgets and needs, but perhaps high expectations. I've been doing music for a loooong time (I started out on a Tascam 4 track and recorded my first few singles on a Roland digital 8 track), and I know that tech changes, styles change, tastes in fx change (think of a the lo-fi craze of 20 odd years back when everyone WANTED tape hiss). I would suggest everyone just think about their personal needs and budgets and stop listening to the 'unpaid' publicists who tell you that this or that DAW is the best. Ultimately, if you buy the DAW that everyone is using this summer, it is still YOU who has to use it.
post edited by burgerproduction - 2018/01/18 10:33:36

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum Lifetimer, Windows 10, HP Laptop, CPU i5, RAM 8GB. Audio interface: Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface with moded drivers. Microphones: Audio-Technica, M-Audio, Behringer, AKG. Pianos: Casio digital, Yamaha B1 upright.  Guitars: Dobro, Tanglewood, Danelectro, Fender. Hats: Fez
Check out my music :
https://53mph.bandcamp.com/album/like-water-to-the-sand

msmcleod
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 920
Re: Which DAW - Poll Result 2018/01/18 10:47:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby burgerproduction 2018/01/18 11:54:41
igiwigi
Studio 1 , no Sys Ex support

Reaper has some free plugins you can download here: https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

One of them is ReaControlMIDI, which allows you to specify Sysex... I've not had a chance to try it out fully (you can certainly add it to a track), but if it works it may be a way of getting around Studio One's lack of sysex?

M.
GLG
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 38
Re: Which DAW - Poll Result 2018/01/18 12:47:00 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby burgerproduction 2018/01/18 12:51:22
burgerproduction

I would argue that, at the end of the day, you need to think about what you need it for and how you work.
I was happily using Sonar Studio 8.5 for years before an offer came along a few years back to get a ridiculously low price on the new Sonar Artist. After getting that, another offer came along to upgrade to lifetime SPLAT. Over the course of a few years I went from Studio 8.5 to SPLAT, but my working method didn't change that much. So, now that I'm considering moving onto another DAW, I've made a check-list of what I need it for.

What do I use the DAW for:
  • I record guitar and vocals - I could do that on a freeware. Wavefom 8 and Presonus have free versions which could do that.
  • I use the Softsynths and VST instruments - even with the huge array of synths and instruments in SPLAT, I still find myself going back to the few top notch instruments I bought seperately, such as Native Instruments pianos and BFD. Hell, I even prefer to use my old Trilogy bass rather than the numerous bass mods and synths that have come bundled over the years. The one instrument I do use again and again is Addictive Drums 2, which I can use in any other DAW as it has a seperate license. Not dissing Samplitude, but when I dug deep into the bundled instruments (auditioning them and listening to samples), there was nothing that would replace or surpass what I already own. It's a huge bundle for the money, but if you don't need it, it's just bloatware.
  • I use FX - Most of the effects can be used in other DAWs. Even some that I believed would be locked to Sonar are usable in Reaper, so do I need anymore fx? Probably not. I keep going back to the same Fx again and again, while others gather dust. I tried out Presonus Sudio 3 and really liked the fx. don't know if I need them more than the ones I use though.
  • I record live music and repair sound - this is something that I've always done outside of SPLAT. I used Cool Edit 2 for years which has spectral views and cleaning fx, then I got Izotope products which also have stand alone versions, and recently I upgraded to Sound Forge 12. Spectral Layers looks amazing, but I just don't need all the bells and whistles, and, as many others have said, I'll probably use it to 50% of its ability. I rarely get paid for this work; I do it as a favour. I cannot justify a costly outlay.
  • I'm a hobbiest musician - though I have released records; had music on radio and TV; even done a soundtrack; I am essentially a hobbiest, not a pro. I work on a laptop with an Intel i5, 8GB Ram and use an old Edirol Firewire FA-101. If I upgrade to a Ferrari, I will essentially be running it with a Fiat Panda's engine. As such, I cannot justiy the outlay, or the SSD space, for a super DAW. SPLAT was a luxury. I should probably upgrade the computer before I upgrade the DAW. Also, I've found that some DAWs just don't sit well on a laptop screen. They are designed for split screens (and rightly so).
So after weighing up all these options, I have decided to stick with what I can for now, have Reaper as a back-up just in case, and upgrade some instruments instead. Hell! I could even go back to working on Sonar 8.5 if worst comes to worst:D
I've personally got to be realistic instead of impulse buying. Those of you who do music  production for a living will have other needs which require more serious upgrades, others of you who are musicians and make bedroom recordings will have smaller budgets and needs, but perhaps high expectations. I've been doing music for a loooong time (I started out on a Tascam 4 track and recorded my first few singles on a Roland digital 8 track), and I know that tech changes, styles change, tastes in fx change (think of a the lo-fi craze of 20 odd years back when everyone WANTED tape hiss). I would suggest everyone just think about their personal needs and budgets and stop listening to the 'unpaid' publicists who tell you that this or that DAW is the best. Ultimately, if you buy the DAW that everyone is using this summer, it is still YOU who has to use it.

Excellent post.

Sonar Platinum / Win 7 64bit / Kingston Hyper 1600 16GB / System Drive Kingston SH100S3120G 128GB SSD / Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 / i72600 3.4Ghz / RME Fireface UC 
Joe_A
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 458
Re: Which DAW - Poll Result 2018/01/18 13:34:04 (permalink)
I'm getting to know CBase and so far it's great. Bought it on 12-31. I got an e-licenser from Steinberg and another from Amazon, rcvd quick, up and running!

jambrose@cfl.rr.com  Sonar Plat. Lifetime. Started in Sonar 4, each through 8.5.3PE.
Scarlett 18i202nd gen., Edirol FA-101, M-Audio Firewire 410, AMD Phenom II 1045T six core processor, 8GB DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6450, dual displays, 1.5 TB SATA HD, USB 2, Firewire 1394A, 1394B, 18/22 mixer, EV Q-66, Yamaha HS50M monitors, few guitars, Fender Cybertwin SE, Fender Cyber foot controller, Boss RC20-XL, misc pedals, etc. Win Home Prem 64 bit.
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Which DAW - Poll Result 2018/01/18 15:34:49 (permalink)
You know, something else to consider is Cubase Elements for $99.  It is not crippled other than some track count limitations and lack of the advanced mixing features.  It does not need a dongle to run, and offers much of the MIDI features that big brother Pro has. 

I tried the demo last year, right after V9 was released, and was very impressed.  I may still get it no matter what other DAWs I have, just for the MIDI tools. If you have another DAW that lacks certain MIDI functions, you might be able to start a project in here with MIDI, for example.

It includes VST instrument support, automation tracks, program change and bank selection, and a lot of MIDI processing functions. Plus basic music notation and score editing.

It has a good MIDI editor, plus the arranger track, chord track, chord events, and chord assistant.  Extract chord events from MIDI.  You can change the pitch of chords, the voicing of chords, etc.

Here's a comparison of the features in the different versions of Cubase:
https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/cubase/comparison.html

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
auto_da_fe
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1866
Re: Which DAW - Poll Result 2018/01/18 15:46:26 (permalink)
Reaper is relenting and will include ARA support fairly soon.  I really like how Reaper handles VSti's.

I will keep working with Sonar and Reaper.  Eventually when Sonar stops working (maybe it will never die) I will have Reaper.

Sonar does everything I need and there is really no new functionality I require.  My biggest concern would be all my old CWB files not opening some day.

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
Win 10 64 
SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
https://soundcloud.com/airportface
michael diemer
Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1128
Re: Which DAW - Poll Result 2018/01/18 20:01:03 (permalink)
To burgerproduction: You should consider trying the free Home Studio (assuming it is still available). Like you, I happily used 8.5 until the big change (Sonar X series). At that point, I toyed with upgrading, but never did. I started using Reaper when they got a notation editor, but my workflow was not as fast. Then the proverbial hit the fan in November, that Sonar was going away. I scrambled back to 8.5 Producer, but installed Studio as for some reason it works better for me. I was hoping for a way to upgrade to Sonar somehow, when this free Home Studio deal popped up. It does everything I need, is very stable and is only missing Event List, but I'm learning to use PRV better. Other than that, it does all 8.5 did, but with a gorgeous GUI. I sometimes just sit and admire it. I wish the bakers were still around so I could compliment them. And I really wish I had upgraded at some point to at least Artist or Professional. but if that never becomes possible, I will have Sonar Home Studio - a very recent version - along with 8.5 Studio. Both work great on Windows 7, and I'm looking forward to many years of productive use with them.

michael diemer
Intel Quad Core i7-3770 Ivy Bridge
32 GB ram
1TB Western Digital Black X2
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro 64
UR22 interface
Bandlab Cakewalk/Sonar 8.5 Studio
GPO-EWQLSO Gold-Vienna SP ED-Cinematic Strings 2

burgerproduction
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 209
Re: Which DAW - Poll Result 2018/01/18 21:43:59 (permalink)
Thanks for the concern Michael. I've actually got the Platinum lifetime addition, plus a fully paid Artist addition. If either of these stop working due to the servers going off line, the same thing will happen to the Home Studio addition (which I also got, just for the sake of it). Thanks for thinking of me though. I'm sure other people can benefit from your post. ☺    

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum Lifetimer, Windows 10, HP Laptop, CPU i5, RAM 8GB. Audio interface: Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface with moded drivers. Microphones: Audio-Technica, M-Audio, Behringer, AKG. Pianos: Casio digital, Yamaha B1 upright.  Guitars: Dobro, Tanglewood, Danelectro, Fender. Hats: Fez
Check out my music :
https://53mph.bandcamp.com/album/like-water-to-the-sand

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1