AnsweredNot understanding how to set up midi controller keyboard

Author
msutton352
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2018/01/19 19:00:44 (permalink)

Not understanding how to set up midi controller keyboard

Hello all,

I hope I'm in the right place. Please let me know if there is a better place to ask this kindergarten-grade question.
I just bought a Roland A-500PRO keyboard controller and I'm not having much success getting it set up.

I have the drivers, I have Ableton Live, and I just downloaded the ASIO4ALL drivers. I went to the preferences and selected ASIO driver and ASIO4ALL as the device, then I went into Ableton and set MIDI in to be the roland 500 and set it to channel 1 as is displayed on the roland device's digital readout.

I'm starting to think I can't just hook it up to my computer and start playing, but that I need another MIDI device to process the MIDI messages or something. Is that true?

I honestly was just hoping i could plug it into my computer and get the audio output to be my regular old Bose speakers. But I'm not getting anything when I'm pressing the keys.

To start, now, I'd like to just unplug my speakers and get the sound to play on my audio card from my computer.

Thank you all.
jimfogle
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Not understanding how to set up midi controller keyboard 2018/01/20 00:08:09 (permalink)
One thing I noticed is you mention you have the drivers and the ASIO4ALL drivers.  When drivers are available from the manufacturer, you're normally better off using device specific drivers from the manufacturer than a generic driver like ASIO4ALL.  My first suggestion then is to visit Roland's website and download the correct driver for your system here:  https://www.roland.com/global/products/a-500pro/downloads/

I would also download the preset control map and A-PRO Editor for Windows.  A-PRO Editor is software that lets you create control maps for the A-PRO series on your computer, and make settings for the keyboard. The graphical screen makes it easy to edit the values (settings).  Also note there are surface control plug-ins for Logic, GarageBand and Sonar.  Too bad you're still not using Sonar, huh?

Once you've downloaded the correct driver and installed it into your system, remove ASIO4ALL and reboot the computer.

I would set the controller to MIDI omni mode so it outputs on all 16 MIDI channels.  I would start a one MIDI track, new project in your DAW.  Make sure the MIDI track either has omni or a MIDI channel selected for the track input.  Also make sure the track output is sent to a soft synth instrument.  Note, you'll likely have to set up a second track in your DAW to hold the soft synth.

Try to record MIDI into the MIDI track.  What happens?

Jim F
Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
Music Creator 6
Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Not understanding how to set up midi controller keyboard 2018/01/20 00:24:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jimfogle 2018/01/20 01:35:28
Your getting audio and midi drivers mixed up here. 
Asio4all is an audio driver which has nothing at all to do with midi.
The Roland comes with a midi driver which you have installed. Yhis is so you cn use the USB connection and its a better driver than using a generic usb midi driver. Many people have issue with keyboard that don't have a proper driver. 

I have no clue about using Ableton but in Sonar you have t insert a VST instrument and select the A pro as the input device to trigger the synth. You don't need anything other than what you have, you are very close to making it work, it is just a setting is not right in the DAW    you just need to read the Ableton instructions on inputting to a VST instrument. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

jimfogle
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 463
Re: Not understanding how to set up midi controller keyboard 2018/01/20 01:36:08 (permalink)
Sorry for the driver mix up.  Johnny V is 100% correct.

Jim F
Cakewalk by Bandlab (CbB)
Sonar Home Studio V23.9.0 build 32
Music Creator 6
Band-in-a-Box, Audacity, ChordPulse
Win 7, i3 cpu, 8Gig ram, 480 Gig Dell Laptop
http://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home

msutton352
Re: Not understanding how to set up midi controller keyboard 2018/01/20 02:34:18 (permalink)
Thank you guys. I have to admit that I still don't know what exactly some things mean. Like trying to record MIDI into the MIDI track, or the editor driver. But I think I understand enough to try again. I found the instructions that Johnny V said would help. I'll come back here in a little bit to let you guys know how it went.

So I found this, website which I am not allowed to link to, but its the first option in a google search for "how-to-use-vst-plugins-in-ableton-live" so you can copy and paste that and look at it if you wanna help me understand again :-)
but a few things:
1)There is no VST plugins folder in the C drive, so I made one myself by the same name and routed to it. Will that work?
2)I don't know how to see if my device is being detected by my computer other than to go to device manager, but I dont really know what to put in the VST plugins folder so I just put the roland driver in there (only 3kb, adding to my confusion).
3)shouldn't there be a location of my device I can find and map to that? or is the plugin just something else.
Really confused. but i like that Johnny V said I'm close so I'm staying on the problem.

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Not understanding how to set up midi controller keyboard 2018/01/20 09:57:37 (permalink)
I am curious what you have expected from this Roland device. It is a MIDI keyboard + MIDI controller, but nothing more. Ableton is a complicated DAW, not just a "MIDI sound module". It support MIDI keyboards (in general) and MIDI controllers (that is more tricky).

So, to get any sound out of Roland throw Ableton you need:
1) understand how Ableton works, get sound out of it, understand what is Software Synthesizers, how to setup them and get MIDI clips playing throw them. All that without Roland. And Ableton is far from simplest program to start with. But you can find many video tutorials for beginners.
2) since you see Roland as MIDI input setting in Ableton, once you are done with (1), you can also play "live" or record MIDI from Roland.
3) after all that, you can start reading about MIDI Controllers in Ableton and adopt the "second part" of Roland.

As "the fist sound", you can try the following:
1) open Ableton
2) press some keys on Roland. Observe "All channels" in the MIDI from section of the first track. See some movement? Move on. Otherwise check Options / Preferences / MIDI and check "Input (roland) Track ON".
3) in the categories (left side) select "Instruments" / "Insturment Rack", "Piano & Keys". Drag "Bright Tines" to the first track
4) start playing Roland. Get sound? Done. If not... In the lower part of the screen, you should see MIDI input bar (should move), Bright Tices, audio output bar (changing when you play). If you see all that, but get no sound, check audio settings.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Not understanding how to set up midi controller keyboard 2018/01/20 21:33:47 (permalink)
Yes sounds like you have a lot to learn.

1st- You install the Roland driver to what ever it recommends ( default) during the install. If you move it it won't work.  I always use default location for installs. Things always work for me because of this habit. Only people who have advanced computer knowledge should attempt changing install pathways.

As I know Zero about Ableton I can only guess, but with Sonar and Cubase and Mixbuss and Studio one and Reaper, when you install the program it creates a VST plug in folder in your C/Programs folder. It populates it with all the plug ins that come with each program. A lot of plug ins use the Steinberg folder by default if it's there. Sonar has it's own.  
Those programs then automatically scan and set these up. When you open the software then you typically insert a VST instrument track and choose the instrument you want to use. 
You then set the input to use your Roland controller and the VST instrument will play. You hit record to record a midi performance. Each software is a little different but this is a basic overview. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

msutton352
Re: Not understanding how to set up midi controller keyboard 2018/01/20 21:59:22 (permalink)
I don't really have expectations. I am using ableton because it came with my purchase of my keyboard, but now I know that ableton is a free platform. I just want to play sound off of my new keyboard so i can play piano. That is all.
Kev999
Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3922
Re: Not understanding how to set up midi controller keyboard 2018/01/20 22:50:04 (permalink)
msutton352

I don't really have expectations. I am using ableton because it came with my purchase of my keyboard, but now I know that ableton is a free platform. I just want to play sound off of my new keyboard so i can play piano. That is all.

If it's a MIDI keyboard, then it doesn't generate its own sounds. It is used to trigger sounds from elsewhere, typically from computer-based virtual instruments. Presumably there are some virtual instruments supplied with Ableton Live. That is what you need to be exploring next.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
Having fun at work lately
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Not understanding how to set up midi controller keyboard 2018/01/22 00:49:34 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby msutton352 2018/01/23 16:58:41
OK, I am not an Ableton guru or anything, but I do have Ableton Live Lite 9 installed. 

So assuming that your keyboard is installed and recognized by Live as a MIDI input, and that you can get audio output from Live through your speakers, here is all you need to do to test it:

Select 'Instruments' in the Live browser, then browse the 'Simpler' category for 'Synth Lead', and then select one, for example, 'Soover.adv'.  Double clicking that should load the instrument into an available slot in the session.

Play your keys and you should hear the sample in Simpler play back through your speakers.

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
msutton352
Re: Not understanding how to set up midi controller keyboard 2018/01/23 16:58:27 (permalink)
WOO!! THAT WORKED! THANKYOU!!!!!
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Not understanding how to set up midi controller keyboard 2018/01/23 17:27:07 (permalink)
msutton352
WOO!! THAT WORKED! THANKYOU!!!!!

Glad that worked out! You are able to load one of several included Live instruments.

As far as VST instrument plugins go, you will need to acquire and install those individually for more 3rd party instrument options in Live.  They will show up in the Live browser under 'Plug-ins', when installed in the folder path defined in Live 'Preferences > File Folder > Plug-in sources > VST Plug-in custom folder'.

VST plugins usually appear as '.dll' files in the VST folder.  Most plugin installers will ask where to install them, make sure to choose the path for your 'VST Plug-in custom folder'.

If you want a good free piano VST, give the free XLN Addictive Keys demo a shot.  It is fully functional, has no expiration, but is limited to 4 octaves.  That should work out just fine with the 49 keys on your A500. 

https://www.xlnaudio.com/addictivekeys

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
JoeGBradford
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 176
Re: Not understanding how to set up midi controller keyboard 2018/01/23 21:22:03 (permalink)
An excellent source of free VST instruments and effects is the Computer Music magazine - they have loads on their cover disc each month and some very good ones too! There also quite a few online through websites such as KVR. Just don't do what I did and get hold of so many that you can't remember what half of them do :-)
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1