Helpful ReplyA word of advice to keep sonar stable.

Author
burgerproduction
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 209
2018/01/21 10:59:28 (permalink)

A word of advice to keep sonar stable.

I've noticed a lot of Sonar users seem to be having problems with their versions of Sonar. The fact that many of these are not versions linked to the Command Centre means that the problem has nothing to do with Sonar servers or the program itself. I suspect the problem is two fold:

1) Windows updates often cause problems with Drivers. 
 Every time there is a new Windows update I have to roll back the onboard drivers. This is not so hard to do.
 Right Click the Audio icon on the bottom right bar of computer.
 Select 'Solve Audio Problems' (I'm not 100% that is what it says in English as my OS is Italian)
 There are lots of resources out there if you google them, for example: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/windows-10-how-fix-sound-issues-after-upgrade-1513693
 I suspect that in the majority of cases, audio and recording problems are due to drivers.

2) People are testing out alternative DAWs.
 Like eveyone else, I've been trying out the various demo versions of DAWs out there. So far I've tried: Presonus Studio One, Samplitude, Cubase, Waveform 8, Studio Bus, Mixbus, Mixcraft and Reaper.
 One thing that many people don't consider when installing these is 'conflicts'. For example, Steinberg installs their own 'low latency ASIO' drivers which can conflict with your other ASIO drivers. I've also seen it said that Reaper can take Exclusive control of your drivers which can create problems when you try to fire up Sonar.
 Furthermore, some VST paths can overwrite Sonar paths - if any bundles contain the same FX, there could be problems (especially if they are older versions overwriting newer versions). I had this problem when I tried reinstalling an older version of Sonar onto a machine that already had Sonar Platinum on it.
 Then there can be a problem of uninstalling demos.  Many DAWs leave bits and pieces behind. Some delete folders which are shared. Some delete FX that they installed, which could be the same FX as used in others.

How can you avoid these problems?

1) Keep rolling back those drivers to the last functioning version. This may involve uninstalling them completely, restarting, and then searching for the drivers on your computer. Check out this link: http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-restore-previous-version-of-a-driver-in-windows-10/  Also, check the Properties of each audio device. Turn off Enhancements and sorround. Check the 'exclusive' rights of the device. Sweetwater has a good guide her: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/resolving-audio-interface-issues-on-windows-10/ 

2) If possible, before installing any new DAW, make a backup or rollback point. It might also be good to take a snapshot of install paths (or write down all install paths) just in case you may have installed VSTs or Fx ins some obscure places. If you can, install demos on a seperate machine or drive. Make install paths exclusive and seperate from existing & functioning paths. Uninstall any demos that you don't need or use. If you have problems after uninstalling demos, try reinstalling your version of Sonar to repair broken or missing paths etc.. An alternative is to install any demo in 'sandbox' or 'virtualbox'. There's a guide here: https://lifehacker.com/how-to-safely-test-software-without-messing-up-your-sys-1680608496 and a list of sandbox apps here: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/sandbox-sandboxing-software . I must admit, I haven't tried this myself, but it might be an option.

Hopefully, this will avoid some of the problems being reported.

Now, back to doing some music....

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum Lifetimer, Windows 10, HP Laptop, CPU i5, RAM 8GB. Audio interface: Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface with moded drivers. Microphones: Audio-Technica, M-Audio, Behringer, AKG. Pianos: Casio digital, Yamaha B1 upright.  Guitars: Dobro, Tanglewood, Danelectro, Fender. Hats: Fez
Check out my music :
https://53mph.bandcamp.com/album/like-water-to-the-sand

Piotr
  • Total Posts : 208
Re: A word of advice to keep sonar stable. 2018/01/21 12:08:46 (permalink)
There should be kind of special function in Windows like 'sealing driver' which would protect driver both against update from MS updates like other accidental sources  like 3-th party installation with side-effects: )

Regards,
Piotr
Sonar Platinum Lifetime
CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: A word of advice to keep sonar stable. 2018/01/21 12:27:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby marled 2018/01/26 10:02:23
"Every time there is a new Windows update I have to roll back the onboard drivers."

You need to stop windows update from updating your drivers, or better still download the latest drivers from third party site and install. Windows update *may* leave them alone after after that.

"Keep rolling back those drivers to the last functioning version."

Sorry but that's a really bad thing to do. The only time you need to roll back drivers is if you have problems. You are much better off going to manufactures websites and downloading/installing the latest drivers.

All software has dependencies. When developers bring out new software it's generally tested with the latest OS, OS updates and programming libraries by default. After a while mixing older software with newer software tends to break things. So you either take your PC off the internet and just use old software (never install anything) or you try to keep everything up to date and take regular backups (recommend).
promidi
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1220
Re: A word of advice to keep sonar stable. 2018/01/21 12:45:15 (permalink)
You can tell Windows 10 not to touch any hardware drivers with Windows updates.  I do all my driver updates manually by going to the manufacturer's websites rather than trusting Microsoft to deliver the right ones.

Windows 10 64bit fully patched, 16 gig ram . 
PCR-800 Controller.  (Working in Win 10 1809 64bit)
CPU: i5 4670. 
Video: Nvidia GTX560ti (latest drivers).
Audio IF: Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen

Internet always on.

Software
: Cakewalk by Bandlab (2018.09 B29)
ASIO mode. 24bit 48khz 256 samples 
Rapture Pro, AAS GS2, VS-3, EP-4, VA-2, Chromophone 2, Z3TA+ 2, Addictive drums 2, Addictive Keys, Mpowersynth (latest), Iris 2, GPO5, Sampletank 3,
burgerproduction
Re: A word of advice to keep sonar stable. 2018/01/21 13:02:38 (permalink)
I agree that it's not the best advice to NOT update drivers, but I've noticed that Windows keeps automatically updating my laptop drivers to their own version, which always creates problems for me. As my laptop is not super new (I use a firewire interface, so I'm holding on to my old HP) the manufacturer has ceased updating the drivers for compatability with W10. Same goes for my Edirol Fa-101. Having the most up to date drivers is the best option if they are available, but when Windows install their generic ones, I have problems and roll back to the ones that worked.

Cakewalk by Bandlab, Sonar Platinum Lifetimer, Windows 10, HP Laptop, CPU i5, RAM 8GB. Audio interface: Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface with moded drivers. Microphones: Audio-Technica, M-Audio, Behringer, AKG. Pianos: Casio digital, Yamaha B1 upright.  Guitars: Dobro, Tanglewood, Danelectro, Fender. Hats: Fez
Check out my music :

CakeAlexSHere
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: A word of advice to keep sonar stable. 2018/01/21 13:21:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Steve_Karl 2018/01/24 20:15:00
burgerproduction
I agree that it's not the best advice to NOT update drivers, but I've noticed that Windows keeps automatically updating my laptop drivers to their own version, which always creates problems for me. As my laptop is not super new (I use a firewire interface, so I'm holding on to my old HP) the manufacturer has ceased updating the drivers for compatability with W10. Same goes for my Edirol Fa-101. Having the most up to date drivers is the best option if they are available, but when Windows install their generic ones, I have problems and roll back to the ones that worked.

https://www.laptopmag.com...ownloads-on-windows-10
greg54
  • Total Posts : 551
Re: A word of advice to keep sonar stable. 2018/01/26 04:26:06 (permalink)
I clicked on the link in burgerproduction's first post.  It said, "Step 3: Go to Advanced section and change the bit rate to either of the following: 24bit/44100 Hz or 24bit/192000Hz depending on the speaker configuration."

I tried to change mine, but it wouldn't allow me to.  Mine says 16-bit 48000Hz.  When I tried to change it to 24-bit 44100, it says it's not supported.  Is that normal?  My audio quality could be a little better.

Greg

Intel Core i7 4770 quad core 
16 GB DDR3, 1600 MHz SDRAM 
1T SSD; 2T 7200 GB HD's
Windows 10 Professional 64 bit   
Solid State Logic SSL2 interface 
Sonar Platinum

Cactus Music
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: A word of advice to keep sonar stable. 2018/01/26 05:54:43 (permalink)
Greg that is a windows on board sound chip settings and nothing to do with your Focusrite. I found a lot of bad information in that post, 
Rule # one- Don't believe  everything you read on the internet. 
You make all  driver settings in the Focusrite control panel. Not Windows audio panel. 
On board audio is normally 48 because of movies so a lot of on board audio is only 48. My old Sound Blaster was like that too. Focusrite supports from 44.1 up to 96 even higher on some models. 
If your audio doesn't sound good to you it will be your monitors, not 44.1. Many of us use 44.1 without issue. It makes it easier to produce CD's. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: A word of advice to keep sonar stable. 2018/01/26 08:36:03 (permalink)
burgerproduction
I've also seen it said that Reaper can take Exclusive control of your drivers which can create problems when you try to fire up Sonar.

It can also break your hard disk, permanently destroy your creativity and occasionally steal you music

Seriously... That is the only DAW with "portable" install option (it does not touch anything outside installation folder). And as any other program, it use the same set of APIs to work with audio drivers. I mean that is least intrusive DAW everyone can try without consequences, yet you mention it as a possible evil. It is not evil, it is Reaper

Can it happened that the sound is no longer working in Sonar (or other program) after you was running some other  program? After several years I still have not found any serious explanation for the effect, but the answer is YES!
I have observed than several times, with several interfaces, on different computers.
In theory, ASIO drivers should be most robust since that should be by definition most strait way between user application and hardware (bypassing any Windows stacks, and so dependency from them).
In practice, proprietary ASIO drivers fail as first. Why? As I wrote, I have not found any serious explanation.
Based on my experience, I have a guess:
when an application intentionally or unintentionally put the driver/hardware  into particular mode, it (or some part of it) is preserved inside the driver/hardware. With "Friendly" intention to restore the environment to the state which user has used the last time. But that can produce the "disaster", if that mode is buggy (for the driver/hardware combination), any attempt to restore it trigger some hangs inside hardware/driver. Sometimes it is possible to "overwrite" it from application / control panel / windows restart, sometimes by reinstalling drivers, in worse scenario by reinstalling Windows (I guess if the mode is saved in registry/ini files which are not cleaned during uninstall or some windows stack options is the root of the problem).
2 examples:
1) I had SB, M-Audio, usual build-in interfaces (HDMI, Realtek) and some extra "USB-Audio" (mixer, vocal processor, drums, etc). Everything was ok. M-Audio had own ASIO drivers.
Following one thread in this forum, I have started to "play" with ASIO drivers. Installed SB ASIO and ASIO4ALL. Everything still WAS normal at first. But then I was changing options to measure the latency, switching between devices and drivers. At some point something has "clicked" (not audible). After that, M-Audio could no longer work properly in ASIO. I had to increase ASIO buffer, but even than there was weird problems I was not experiencing before. I have uninstalled SB ASIO and ASIO4ALL. No change. Reinstalled M-Audio driver. No change. Only after next big Windows update (which has effectively re-installed windows behind the scene...) everything was normal again.
2) I was using VS-20 with my notebook, preparing for a "gig". Half a day things was smooth (I was disconnected from the Internet). But then one VST has crashed, taking the DAW and the driver with it. Reboot - no joy (windows audio OK, ASIO not available). Only re-installation of drivers has helped to bring ASIO back (obviously not acceptable for anything half-way serious or live).
My solution was to get most stable on Windows drivers... means RME. That can not guaranty no problems, but at least I am convinced if I observe something bad, that is not from the driver (there is no evidence RME has untested modes... probably the reason they do not allow lower then 48 buffer for Babyface, while other, to declire "ultra low latency" allow setting whatever, even in case that does not work at all or known to have problems).

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: A word of advice to keep sonar stable. 2018/01/26 10:13:05 (permalink)
azslow3
burgerproduction
I've also seen it said that Reaper can take Exclusive control of your drivers which can create problems when you try to fire up Sonar.

It can also break your hard disk, permanently destroy your creativity and occasionally steal you music

Seriously... That is the only DAW with "portable" install option (it does not touch anything outside installation folder). And as any other program, it use the same set of APIs to work with audio drivers. I mean that is least intrusive DAW everyone can try without consequences, yet you mention it as a possible evil. It is not evil, it is Reaper

And what's about all those "ReaRoute ASIO" drivers that reaper installs? After Reaper's installation I had first to disable all that **** in Sonar and enable my hardware ASIO drivers!

... many years before ...
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: A word of advice to keep sonar stable. 2018/01/26 13:30:47 (permalink)
marled
azslow3
burgerproduction

And what's about all those "ReaRoute ASIO" drivers that reaper installs? After Reaper's installation I had first to disable all that **** in Sonar and enable my hardware ASIO drivers!

What about reading what you are going to install, before "clicking" ?
That way you will not install unneeded ASIO drivers, malware, spyware and viruses.
a) If you prefer to cleanup after installation, please do not blame software developers for not reading your minds and intentions.
b) Sonar love to prefer new drivers instead of keeping explicitly set by user preferences is outside of Cockos influence
c) unlike ASIO4ALL and some other wrappers, ReaRoute does NOT try to take any hardware drivers under its control. If some particular application is immediately confused when it see more then one ASIO interface in the system, that is again not Cockos responsibility.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: A word of advice to keep sonar stable. 2018/01/26 14:08:09 (permalink)
azslow3
That way you will not install unneeded ASIO drivers, malware, spyware and viruses.

It is great if you always know and understand all what is written in installation processes, but many other users don't and they trust in the software provider's defaults sometimes!

azslow3
a) If you prefer to cleanup after installation, please do not blame software developers for not reading your minds and intentions.

No, the developers are never guilty!

azslow3
b) Sonar love to prefer new drivers instead of keeping explicitly set by user preferences is outside of Cockos influence

It is not only Sonar that reacts to such installations!

azslow3
c) unlike ASIO4ALL and some other wrappers, ReaRoute does NOT try to take any hardware drivers under its control. If some particular application is immediately confused when it see more then one ASIO interface in the system, that is again not Cockos responsibility.

Yes, the software company is never responsible for things happening on their customers computers! It is always the customer who has the full responsibility!

... many years before ...
burgerproduction
Re: A word of advice to keep sonar stable. 2018/01/26 14:20:13 (permalink)
Cactus Music
Rule # one- Don't believe  everything you read on the internet. 
You make all  driver settings in the Focusrite control panel. Not Windows audio panel. 
On board audio is normally 48 because of movies so a lot of on board audio is only 48. My old Sound Blaster was like that too. Focusrite supports from 44.1 up to 96 even higher on some models. 

Cactus Music, I would like to add that I only offered that link as a 'general' link - nothing expert. I barely read it myself. However, regarding driver settings, I've noticed that since updating to W10, I am unable to go higher than 48 khz on my Edirol FA101. I've got some old projects in 96 which I have to mix using onboard drivers as, for some unknown reason, I can't get anything above 48 to work with the ASIO legacy drivers on W10.
I don't know if this is an Edirol problem or a Windows problem.

Check out my music :

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: A word of advice to keep sonar stable. 2018/01/26 15:13:58 (permalink)
marled
azslow3

It is great if you always know and understand all what is written in installation processes, but many other users don't and they trust in the software provider's defaults sometimes!

azslow3

No, the developers are never guilty!

azslow3

It is not only Sonar that reacts to such installations!

azslow3

Yes, the software company is never responsible for things happening on their customers computers! It is always the customer who has the full responsibility!

I don't understand - what is so hard about being aware of and taking responsibility for onscreen options during an install? You say that some people place a blind trust in installations as if that's acceptable, but really, it's not. There is nothing stopping anyone from Googling an installation option they don't understand. I've done this many times.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: A word of advice to keep sonar stable. 2018/01/26 15:19:21 (permalink)
sharke
I don't understand - what is so hard about being aware of and taking responsibility for onscreen options during an install? You say that some people place a blind trust in installations as if that's acceptable, but really, it's not. There is nothing stopping anyone from Googling an installation option they don't understand. I've done this many times.

the vast majority don't fact check anything, nevermind software installs

just a sec

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: A word of advice to keep sonar stable. 2018/01/26 15:23:25 (permalink)
azslow3

I got a nice chuckle from this one. Never in my life have I had any installer say "Do you wish to install this malware/ spyware/virus?" Pretty much all of those are baked into something appearing legit.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: A word of advice to keep sonar stable. 2018/01/26 15:55:01 (permalink)
pwalpwal
sharke

the vast majority don't fact check anything, nevermind software installs

I'm guessing they all have McAfee installed on their computers 1000x over from those stupid Adobe Flash installers then 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
greg54
  • Total Posts : 551
Re: A word of advice to keep sonar stable. 2018/01/26 15:56:43 (permalink)
Thanks, Cactus Music!

Greg

Intel Core i7 4770 quad core 
16 GB DDR3, 1600 MHz SDRAM 
1T SSD; 2T 7200 GB HD's
Windows 10 Professional 64 bit   
Solid State Logic SSL2 interface 
Sonar Platinum

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: A word of advice to keep sonar stable. 2018/01/26 17:05:00 (permalink)
Hey Philip. Yes I was making a general statement, hope you don't think I was bashing you, I see that could have been taken that way, But my point is everything these day's is on line and there's very few places I go for TRUSTED information. Even Microsoft user forum has wrong information sometimes. This forum is one of the better places and very few come on here ans spew garbage. And if you do, it is quickly pointed out in a 3 page terse. 

Now your issue- How old is that Edrol? there is a point when hardware and it's drivers become obsolete. 
A new interface might be the ultimate solution. 
For the most part your audio interfaces drivers are very important and need to be as up to date as possible these day's or W10 will break them. 
The only other option is to stay on a W7 computer and carry on, nothing wrong with that solution either if the computer is a dedicated DAW. 

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1