Hissing sound using Roland's Quad-Capture's headphones jack (compared to monitor outputs)

Author
RayZ7
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2018/01/23 02:13:19 (permalink)

Hissing sound using Roland's Quad-Capture's headphones jack (compared to monitor outputs)

Hello friends, 

So this is my issue and I thought here might be a good place to ask about it..
I got Audio Technica AT-50M monitor headphones, when I use them using the headphones jack of my Roland's Quad Capture interface, I need to to put the headphone volume knob all the way up and my input (mic) to the maximum level before clipping.
I get a decent volume level then, but there's a lot of hissing and background noises. just to be clear, this noise does not getin the recording so I'm suspecting it might be the internal headphones amp(?)

Trying to connect the headphones to the monitors output in the back does not cause any hissing and the sound is nice and clear, but too low, even when the headphones/monitors (shared) volume knob is all the way up.

I can also add that connecting amplified speakers using that same headphones jack does not result in any hissing sound as well and the audio is nice and clear.

I think it only happens when I use mics and never happens with the electric guitar or the piezo amplified classic guitar.. but I'm almost sure either way, I set all of those input levels to go up to -6db at all times and make sure there is no clipping at all.

So I was thinking the source of the issue could be that the headphones have to much resistance(?) I didn't try with another set of headphones yet (weird but I don't have any around right now but I will get a pair to test it out) but I'd still like to use my AT-50M with this interface.. so I thought, if this is the case maybe I should get an headphones amplifier and connect them to the monitor outputs? (I don't have monitor speakers to connect anyway). if you think so too, would you think the do the job?

Did anyone ever encountered something similar and knows a possible solution for it?

Many Thanks in advance.. 

Roy.

post edited by RayZ7 - 2018/01/23 19:23:02

5 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Hissing sound using Roland's Quad-Capture's headphones jack (compared to monitor outpu 2018/01/24 17:07:46 (permalink)
    First did you try the headphones on a home stereo or another device? 
    You should not have to turn a headphone volume up full unless something is broken. 

I would head on down to the dollar store and buy a set of $12 isolated type headphones. The dollar stores around here always have something for 12-15 bucks. Some of these cans are just as good as any $150 cans I own. 

A headphone amp will just make the hissing louder. 

Is there a software mixer with a quad capture? Sometimes you need to make setting there is so. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

RayZ7
    Re: Hissing sound using Roland's Quad-Capture's headphones jack (compared to monitor outpu 2018/01/27 00:20:32 (permalink)
    Thank you Johnny, 

I tried with another pair of head phones (earphones) and I get no hissing at all.

and another thing I can add is that on the other hand, again, if I listen with the AT-50M to the computer's sound (silence/music) I get no hissing and no issues. it's just when it's coming from a mic, no matter which mic. I didn't find any helpful setting on that card's control's panel..

I'm not an audio engineer but I believe it's something about the resistance of the headphones themselves or something related to "impedance"?  are the specs of my headphones if it helps (although mine are with a straight cable and not coiled- shouldn't make any difference).

When I said I will use an headphones amp, I meant that I will do so while the headphones are connected to the back of the interface to one of the two monitor outputs, then I get no hissing and noise as I mentioned but the sound is very low. That also gets me thinking, maybe it's something about that the outputs are balanced compared to unbalanced? I don't know. 

and by the way... GREAT MUSIC MAN!!!

Thanks again,

Roy.
    LOSTinSWIRL
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re: Hissing sound using Roland's Quad-Capture's headphones jack (compared to monitor outpu 2018/01/30 21:52:30 (permalink)
    I had a Roland Quad capture and returned it. If you use the headphones it creates a very low level audible loop. Only if the headphones are plugged in. Does not do it with the monitor outs. What happens is lets say you have four tracks going and record onto a fifth it you will be able to hear the four tracks along with what you just record on the fifth track. You can see what I am talking about just by recording pressing record for the fifth track and don't play anything. In a sense you are recording a track with silence with the input echo on. You should not see any type of wave form being recorded. When do play it back and silence the other tracks and listen to the fifth one and you can hear faintly the other tracks. I got mine though Sweetwater and told then about it and they sent me another one and did the same thing. I even contacted Roland about it. I got there tech support and they tried to reproduce it on there end and guess what they got the same results. Didn't do it with out the headphones plugged in, but as soon as you plugged them in it happened. I think this is might be what you were talking about. Sweetwater was great and took it back and now I am using a Focusrite with no loop back on the headphones. 
    RayZ7
    Re: Hissing sound using Roland's Quad-Capture's headphones jack (compared to monitor outpu 2018/01/30 23:20:03 (permalink)
    LOSTinSWIRL
    I had a Roland Quad capture and returned it. If you use the headphones it creates a very low level audible loop. Only if the headphones are plugged in. Does not do it with the monitor outs. What happens is lets say you have four tracks going and record onto a fifth it you will be able to hear the four tracks along with what you just record on the fifth track. You can see what I am talking about just by recording pressing record for the fifth track and don't play anything. In a sense you are recording a track with silence with the input echo on. You should not see any type of wave form being recorded. When do play it back and silence the other tracks and listen to the fifth one and you can hear faintly the other tracks. I got mine though Sweetwater and told then about it and they sent me another one and did the same thing. I even contacted Roland about it. I got there tech support and they tried to reproduce it on there end and guess what they got the same results. Didn't do it with out the headphones plugged in, but as soon as you plugged them in it happened. I think this is might be what you were talking about. Sweetwater was great and took it back and now I am using a Focusrite with no loop back on the headphones. 

Thanks a lot for filling me in. It might be the issue I got but I don't have that noise with other headphones..
    So I'm not sure already.. 

I'll try to contact Roland, they are back from a show or something.. I'll post if I'll have any news..

Thanks again! :)
    LOSTinSWIRL
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re: Hissing sound using Roland's Quad-Capture's headphones jack (compared to monitor outpu 2018/01/30 23:25:49 (permalink)
    It did it with any of the headphones that I tried.  So that may not be your problem as you stated. In the mean time try doing what I I described when recording. Would love to know if you get the same results as I did. Keep us posted. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1