Helpful ReplyI'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC".

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/02/01 15:37:20 (permalink)
David W. Ganem
Although apparently there is nothing to stop you from having a pissing contest. Why would you? Frankly, I fail to see how this answers my question. I guess that must not be the point. And to the one who felt it necessary to argue my financial status. What? I'm disabled... I receive $1000 a month! 

While there are a few custom builders available online like Silent PC, AVADirect,  etc., most do not specialize in DAWs.  So I am not sure that there would be an advantage in paying somebody else to put one together that is not a DAW builder.

It sounds like you have the skills to build your own system, either from scratch or a bare bones kit.  So with your budget you could maximize the quality of components, for example, by directly buying parts at lowest cost available that match the Studio Cat specs.

Studio Cat Pro Studio:

Case:
The stock Silent Mid-Tower case (acoustically treated to minimize noise) is sturdy and roomy with a total of 10 drive bays.
Upgrade to the Deluxe version if you want to run more than two 5.25" drives.

Power-Supply:
The stock 650w power-supply is quiet.
Both the 750w and 850w units are ultra quiet (fan only runs under heavy loads).
If you're running many bus-powered peripherals, lots of internal drives, or dual high-end video cards... select the 850w model.

CPU:
The 7700k (four cores) provides eight processing threads (eight virtual cores) at 4.5GHz.
The 6700k (four cores) provides eight processing threads (eight virtual cores) at 4.2GHz.
The 7600k (four cores) provides four processing threads at 4.2GHz
The 6600k (four cores) provides four processing threads at 3.7GHz
For the small difference in cost, we recommend the 7700k for most users.

RAM:
16GB to 32GB (dual-channel) is sufficient for most users.
For hard-core composers, the Pro Studio allows up to 64GB.

OS drive:
SSD as OS drive is certainly nice... but not an absolute necessity (conventional HD is fine).
With a SSD, the machine boots quicker, apps open quicker, and navigating the OS is a little more "snappy".

Audio drive:
A conventional HD can sustain over 100 solid/contiguous 24Bit/44.1k tracks of audio.
No need for SSD as Audio drive... (unless you're working at higher sample-rates).

Samples drive:
Disk-streaming sample libraries is where SSD really shines.
2.5" SSDs sustain over 500MB/Sec (three times the speed of a conventional HD).
PCIe SSDs sustain 2600MB/Sec (fourteen times the speed of a conventional HD).

m.2 Ultra SSD:
m.2 Ultra SSDs use 4 PCIe lanes and sustain 3200-3500MB/Sec (seventeen times the speed of conventional HD).
If pushing the limits with disk-streaming sample libraries, m.2 Ultra will yield absolute maximum polyphony.

Burner:
24x DVD/RW handles all CD/DVD burning needs (which is fine for most users).
If you're working with high-res or video projects (huge files), 16x BDR (Blu-ray Burner) is convenient.

Video:
HD-630 is fine for straight up audio production (can run a pair of monitors).
For editing/rendering video, you want a GTX card (provides hardware accelerated processing/rendering).
To run three or four monitors, you'll want to select one of the GTX cards.
To run 4k monitors, select one of the GTX cards (connect via HDMI or Display Port).

Firewire:
If you're using a Firewire audio interface or external HD, add a TI chipset Firewire controller.
Most Firewire audio interfaces and HDs work well with the lower cost "For all others" option.
If using a Tascam, Mackie, or Universal Audio unit, you'll need to select the more expensive controller.

Thunderbolt:
On the PC, we now have complete "PCIe via Thunderbolt" support.
You must be running an up-to-date install of Win10 and have a motherboard that provides Thunderbolt-3 via USB-C port.
At this moment, only RME, MOTU, and UA have full "PCIe via Thunderbolt" drivers actually available.  Others are currently testing.
To use a Thunderbolt audio interface, you'll also need a Thunderbolt-3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt adapter.

Operating System:
At this point, nearly all major audio software/hardware is working well with Windows 10 x64.
For most users, we now recommend Windows 10.
For users with very specific needs, we still offer Win8.1 and Windows 7 (Pro version only).

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Hugh Mann
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 59
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/02/01 15:44:33 (permalink)
David W. Ganem
Although apparently there is nothing to stop you from having a pissing contest. Why would you? Frankly, I fail to see how this answers my question. I guess that must not be the point. And to the one who felt it necessary to argue my financial status. What? I'm disabled... I receive $1000 a month! 

I don't see it as a pissing contest.  More of a pooping contest, lol.

Your OP question was what is the thought on 'Silent PC'.  you didn't specify if you meant you want any silent pc or the company SilentPC.  Either way,  I would ask, what are your needs for a computer?  In other words how do you use it? Lots of audio tracks? in that case pretty much any computer in the last 15 years+ can handle 70+ audio tracks.  lots of vst synths? well, you want ghz for that.  Most any computer in the last 5 years can handle a lot.  What do you currently have in terms of specs?  Are you reaching the limits of your CPU?  If you have limited funds,  you may be able to keep what you have going for a while longer,  depending on what you do.  You could just replace the hd or get a quitter fan/cooling.  You may not need a super expensive computer.  More info will help advice you in the right direction.
Hugh Mann
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 59
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/02/01 15:47:30 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby CakeAlexSHere 2018/02/01 17:51:54
mister happy
CakeAlexSHere

...I've been building computers professionally since the 90's myself and have worked for some major names. Respect the fact that people can have different opinions to yourself and are qualified to make them...

CakeAlexSHere

...I do use a lot processor intensive stuff on my year 2010 Dell i7 2.93Ghz 16Gb RAM and I have no issues whatsoever...

^ THAT"S REALLY FUNNY!!!!! ^

Why?  Are you mining bit coins with your computer?  lol.  i7 2.96ghz and 16gb of ram is a lot of processing power.
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/02/01 17:25:00 (permalink)
Jim Roseberry
@ the OP:
David, if you need help spec'ing out a DAW with "Silent PC", I'd be happy to steer you in the right direction.

Just in case the OP missed this, Jim is the same person mentioned in the second post in this thread. Definitely touch base with him, since he is an excellent resource.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/02/01 17:53:52 (permalink)
Hugh Mann
mister happy
CakeAlexSHere

...I've been building computers professionally since the 90's myself and have worked for some major names. Respect the fact that people can have different opinions to yourself and are qualified to make them...

CakeAlexSHere

...I do use a lot processor intensive stuff on my year 2010 Dell i7 2.93Ghz 16Gb RAM and I have no issues whatsoever...

^ THAT"S REALLY FUNNY!!!!! ^

Why?  Are you mining bit coins with your computer?  lol.  i7 2.96ghz and 16gb of ram is a lot of processing power.

I could quite happily with my Geforce 1070.
marled
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 251
Re: I'm shopping for a new DAW PC. I'm considering a build from "SilentPC". 2018/02/10 13:45:49 (permalink)
abacab
David W. Ganem

While there are a few custom builders available online like Silent PC, AVADirect,  etc., most do not specialize in DAWs.  So I am not sure that there would be an advantage in paying somebody else to put one together that is not a DAW builder.

It sounds like you have the skills to build your own system, either from scratch or a bare bones kit.  So with your budget you could maximize the quality of components, for example, by directly buying parts at lowest cost available that match the Studio Cat specs.

Studio Cat Pro Studio:

Case:
The stock Silent Mid-Tower case (acoustically treated to minimize noise) is sturdy and roomy with a total of 10 drive bays.
Upgrade to the Deluxe version if you want to run more than two 5.25" drives.

Power-Supply:
The stock 650w power-supply is quiet.
Both the 750w and 850w units are ultra quiet (fan only runs under heavy loads).
If you're running many bus-powered peripherals, lots of internal drives, or dual high-end video cards... select the 850w model.

CPU:
The 7700k (four cores) provides eight processing threads (eight virtual cores) at 4.5GHz.
The 6700k (four cores) provides eight processing threads (eight virtual cores) at 4.2GHz.
The 7600k (four cores) provides four processing threads at 4.2GHz
The 6600k (four cores) provides four processing threads at 3.7GHz
For the small difference in cost, we recommend the 7700k for most users.

RAM:
16GB to 32GB (dual-channel) is sufficient for most users.
For hard-core composers, the Pro Studio allows up to 64GB.

OS drive:
SSD as OS drive is certainly nice... but not an absolute necessity (conventional HD is fine).
With a SSD, the machine boots quicker, apps open quicker, and navigating the OS is a little more "snappy".

Audio drive:
A conventional HD can sustain over 100 solid/contiguous 24Bit/44.1k tracks of audio.
No need for SSD as Audio drive... (unless you're working at higher sample-rates).

Samples drive:
2.5" SSDs sustain over 500MB/Sec (three times the speed of a conventional HD).
PCIe SSDs sustain 2600MB/Sec (fourteen times the speed of a conventional HD).

m.2 Ultra SSD:
m.2 Ultra SSDs use 4 PCIe lanes and sustain 3200-3500MB/Sec (seventeen times the speed of conventional HD).
If pushing the limits with disk-streaming sample libraries, m.2 Ultra will yield absolute maximum polyphony.

Burner:
24x DVD/RW handles all CD/DVD burning needs (which is fine for most users).
If you're working with high-res or video projects (huge files), 16x BDR (Blu-ray Burner) is convenient.

Video:
HD-630 is fine for straight up audio production (can run a pair of monitors).
For editing/rendering video, you want a GTX card (provides hardware accelerated processing/rendering).
To run three or four monitors, you'll want to select one of the GTX cards.
To run 4k monitors, select one of the GTX cards (connect via HDMI or Display Port).

Firewire:
If you're using a Firewire audio interface or external HD, add a TI chipset Firewire controller.
Most Firewire audio interfaces and HDs work well with the lower cost "For all others" option.
If using a Tascam, Mackie, or Universal Audio unit, you'll need to select the more expensive controller.

Thunderbolt:
On the PC, we now have complete "PCIe via Thunderbolt" support.
You must be running an up-to-date install of Win10 and have a motherboard that provides Thunderbolt-3 via USB-C port.
At this moment, only RME, MOTU, and UA have full "PCIe via Thunderbolt" drivers actually available.  Others are currently testing.
To use a Thunderbolt audio interface, you'll also need a Thunderbolt-3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt adapter.

Operating System:
At this point, nearly all major audio software/hardware is working well with Windows 10 x64.
For most users, we now recommend Windows 10.
For users with very specific needs, we still offer Win8.1 and Windows 7 (Pro version only).

Thanks abacab, the recommendations above helped me a lot, respectively they confirmed my upgrade ideas for the studio computer. I purchased a new i5-8600k processor (faster than an i7-7700k according to cpubenchmark.net) and a Seasonic Platinum fanless psu. I like to have it really silent, not because I am afraid of recording fan noise, but for myself as I hate that permanent noise.

... many years before ...
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1