Helpful ReplyFanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group

Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2018/01/30 17:45:46 (permalink)

Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group

Just got a tongue lashing from the moderator for mentioning Sonar's bugs and stability issues in response to someone claiming that Sonar's only problem was "poor marketing." Got the usual "why are you here, I don't even recall you ever being helpful" when in fact I've helped people out with problems on many occasions (and also have spent hundreds of hours beta testing). These people are truly deranged, it's sad to see. All this "well Sonar works great for me and I never see a single bug so you must obviously be doing something wrong" crap is why people left the Sonar community in droves. Where does this mentality come from? Is it just emotion or what? LOL!

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 17:48:21 (permalink)
I don't know why you bother, just leave 'em to it. It's all irrelevant now anyway.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
sharke
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 17:50:46 (permalink)
Yeah I know - I just thought that while I'm still using Sonar (which I'm forced to do until I can complete my unfinished projects), I might as well still take part in the community, and the thing is I've helped loads of people out in those groups or otherwise chimed in when people are having problems, which I've always been happy to do if I can. Some of the fanbois are just plain nasty though. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
CakeAlexSHere
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 577
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 18:16:52 (permalink)
This fanboy fanaticism and the products stability & reputation, mixed with poor marketing and listening to everyday DAW users is basically why we see the end of Sonar IMHO. I said it years ago and ended up getting chased out of here, others were saying the same (mostly outside the forums, as these forums were a closed "Truman show" ecosystem).

Sonar is definitely THE DAW with the most personality but sadly it should have checked itself into the Betty Ford Clinic years ago.

So we are where we are, an installed product that may deactivate itself at some stage (regardless of promises) and forums moderators running around deleting posts by stealth (who strangely do not work for Gibson).
sharke
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 18:21:06 (permalink)
Yeah I've noticed that whenever the subject of Sonar comes up on other forums like KVR or Gearslutz, there are a lot of people saying that the fanaticism and emotion on the Sonar forum contributed to them jumping ship. The idea that by talking about issues and complaints that you're somehow "letting the side down" is a huge turn off for many. 

James
CakeAlexSHere
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 18:30:59 (permalink)
Hence the fanboy mentality. Here was the church, it was fueled by a few great leaders working for Gibson. They sometimes had a lot of interesting things to say but whatever you do.. you don't disagree with them or start a debate or you will get lynch mobbed. They were all seeing .. all knowing.. and their opinions were right all the time!! (Or risk being deemed a negative influence!!)

Now their heads are decapitated this period may be the first time ever we see (sometimes) fairly sensible conversations about bugs and workflow difficulties without it being hijacked (much). Sad thing is that nothing will progress.

My main worry now is that wherever they go the crazed fanbase will follow, I've already seen this in other DAW forums frantically posting their fav ex cakewalk blogger has a new blog out and certain people just creaming themselves and thanking their great leader several times...and that includes some mods over there as well.. This never used to happen, popularism sadly is seriously infectious.
Just Another Bloke
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 861
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 18:40:51 (permalink)
Fakebook is the debbil I tells ya.
sharke
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 19:02:16 (permalink)
Just Another Bloke

If only it were just the platform. 

James
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 19:18:33 (permalink)
Social media is bad for society, I'm convinced.  I kind of fall in line with Jordan Peterson on the matter, but I'm a little more convinced than he is.  

I don't much about others' experiences with Cakewalk, but I do have a sentimental connection with the DAW.  I think it's because when I first got Cakewalk 2 decades ago ( or more...f*&k I'm old ) it was just such a recording liberation.  I had been using Tascam 4 track recorders and this computer based recording thing was a whole new thing to me, and to the musicians I played with.  I had to use this forum to figure anything out because no one knew anything about this stuff.  

It blew my whole music world wide open.  Suddenly, all of these songs in my head, over all those years, could be fully realized.  MIDI provided all the instruments I couldn't afford and couldn't play and I could layer the hell out of these songs and really show people what was going on in my head.  It was so gratifying and ate up all my time for the next 20 years. 

I never ventured out enough to even really discover there were other DAWs.  I thought Pro Tools was for Mac, and Cakewalk was for PC.  I thought Cubase was a Johnny come lately.  I was in a little cocoon and had no idea.  But, it was ok really, because it did everything I needed and I would have never switched anyway. Didn't need to.

Anyways...I'm sure that's NOT why others are fanboys of Cakewalk, but it's certainly why I'm sentimental about it and hate that its dead.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
bitman
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4105
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 19:24:27 (permalink)
Only think good thoughts or be sent out into the cornfield.

pwalpwal
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3249
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 19:30:54 (permalink)
social media is certainly changing society - as is the internet generally - but whether it turns out to be good or bad i think we've yet to see

just a sec

jamesg1213
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 19:40:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Just Another Bloke 2018/01/30 19:52:37
Just Another Bloke

Saw a video recently where Denzil Washington said ''It's an addiction. If you think it's not...turn it off for a week. Can't do it, can you? THAT'S an addiction''

Jyemz

Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 20:01:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby backwoods 2018/01/30 23:04:44
jamesg1213
Just Another Bloke

Saw a video recently where Denzil Washington said ''It's an addiction. If you think it's not...turn it off for a week. Can't do it, can you? THAT'S an addiction''

I kicked Fakebook and it actually felt like an achievement.  That's sad.  Now, I'm on the outside and everyone looks insane and repeats the most ridiculous drivel and believes the most ridiculous things, and they don't see or hear themselves at all. It's bizarre.  And it's not going anywhere, and the damage has only just begun.   

https://www.psychologytod...xts-twitter-and-google

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
slartabartfast
Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5289
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 20:06:05 (permalink)
I have always been impressed by two issues on these forums. The first was the frequency of vituperative complaints about software bugs, which one would have suspected would have been quashed by the owners of the forum (if not the volunteers they used to moderate them) in order to avoid the negative impact on marketing. The second was the equally vehement attacks against those who were complaining about those bugs, which attacks often failed to distinguish between innocent attempts to resolve or understand an issue and malevolent slander against Cakewalk. 

I must say that the impression I have from years of hanging around here is that Cakewalk products are in fact less reliable than their competitors. Perhaps that just reflects the extraordinary latitude that critics have been given on these pages. In any event I expect the fanboys will be along soon to correct that impression. 
sharke
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 20:48:52 (permalink)
I'm not sure why some here think the issue is Facebook, whatever Jordan Peterson says (and I generally agree with him on most stuff). Kids being addicted to social media isn't what I'm talking about here, and not everyone who uses Facebook is addicted to it any more than anyone here is addicted to this forum. So I think we're shifting the focus here, lol. Fanboism is the same whether on Facebook or here on this forum.

James
jamesg1213
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 20:51:54 (permalink)
People not staying on topic..in the Coffee House? I've never heard of such a thing 

Jyemz

CakeAlexSHere
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 20:55:07 (permalink)
sharke
I'm not sure why some here think the issue is Facebook, whatever Jordan Peterson says (and I generally agree with him on most stuff). Kids being addicted to social media isn't what I'm talking about here, and not everyone who uses Facebook is addicted to it any more than anyone here is addicted to this forum. So I think we're shifting the focus here, lol. Fanboism is the same whether on Facebook or here on this forum.

Oh come on... surely it's much better to blame something else or somebody else! The forums and Sonar is perfect in every way !!
CakeAlexSHere
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 20:57:13 (permalink)
jamesg1213
People not staying on topic..in the Coffee House? I've never heard of such a thing 

Yup it's those gearsluts ruffians that do this, they are to blame!!
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 20:59:33 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Ham N Egz 2018/02/03 14:58:50
Social media is a perfect platform for people that want to tell others how to think and those that need to be told how to think. It's a mob mentality. People post stuff that they would never dare to post if their gang wasn't lurking behind their backs.
I think it's great that we can communicate easily with friends and family but after that it's a disaster. I really feel it's pushing society backward in terms of behaviour and manners. It's also the #1 tool of terrorists and political disruptors.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
CakeAlexSHere
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 21:28:19 (permalink)
^^

sharke
So I think we're shifting the focus here, lol. Fanboism is the same whether on Facebook or here on this forum.
sharke
Re: Fanboi mania still alive and well on the Sonar Facebook group 2018/01/30 21:45:20 (permalink)
ampfixer
Social media is a perfect platform for people that want to tell others how to think and those that need to be told how to think. It's a mob mentality. People post stuff that they would never dare to post if their gang wasn't lurking behind their backs.
I think it's great that we can communicate easily with friends and family but after that it's a disaster. I really feel it's pushing society backward in terms of behaviour and manners. It's also the #1 tool of terrorists and political disruptors.

But you see exactly the same sort of thing on any forum, not just FB and Twitter.

James
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1