Helpful ReplyIzotope (8 Standard): Is it worth the $250? Does it do tagging/album comp shtuff?

Author
Beepster
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18001
2018/01/31 18:18:11 (permalink)

Izotope (8 Standard): Is it worth the $250? Does it do tagging/album comp shtuff?

If things go my way this month I've been mulling over finally getting Ozone to solve my "Mastering" conundrum. Essentially I can't afford to pay others to do it for me and honestly I've been underwhelmed by previous "professionally" mastered material from my heyday.

So I've been wanting Ozone for a looong time based on what's been said here (and elsewhere) about it. Then I can just do it myself (and learn about mastering) and post/release it DIY style.

Thing is though in the past while whilst contemplating this upgrade of my modest, but seemingly capable, little production setup I've been watching quite a few videos/tuts about Ozone and realizing that I essentially have (I think) all the types of tools it seems to contain VIA my SONAR bundles (and more if you consider Standard does not contain the new LA2A and Tape modules that come with the $500 Advanced version which I was kind of getting drooly over before I relaized Standard did not contain them).

The workflow is obviously superior and maybe I'm overlooking some mastering specific metering options (which is all still a bit of a mystery to me but that's one of the next subjects I intend to study) but now that I understand general audio production concepts from the past five years of mayhem I'm just not seeing WHY Ozone is particularly special.

I am still leaning very heavily to just buying it because at the very least it looks like it would be extremely helpful to learn mastering techniques (instead of flinging poop at the screen howling like a red arsed monkey which is my current "mastering" workflow).

Basically I'd like to hear what exactly makes it "special/useful/worth the scrilla" to youze guiz who've owned and lurved it all these years and/or maybe there are other mastering bundles (in the same price range) that do a better job.

Oh... I am now remembering that Ozone supposedly has a "Dynamic EQ" which is one thing I do not have... I think. Is the Ozone EQ similar to Melda Audio's Spectral Dynamics? If so that would likely make it worth it all on it's lonesome.

And just because it's a Beepster thread in the CH...

*fart*

:-D
Mesh
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Izotope (8 Standard): Is it worth the $250? Does it do tagging/album comp shtuff? 2018/01/31 18:33:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2018/01/31 20:10:09
Just a thought here Beeps.....for about that budget, you can get possibly Ozone 7 Advanced over at KVR. I know it's not the latest, but 7 is fantastic and you get all the plugins. Larry's the man with the plan....

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Beepster
Re: Izotope (8 Standard): Is it worth the $250? Does it do tagging/album comp shtuff? 2018/01/31 18:38:25 (permalink)
Mesh
Just a thought here Beeps.....for about that budget, you can get possibly Ozone 7 Advanced over at KVR. I know it's not the latest, but 7 is fantastic and you get all the plugins. Larry's the man with the plan....

Hey, Mesher. Sup?

Good idea. I was actually considering putting up a flag here for anyone looking to sell but I guess I really should start setting myself up on some of the other forums.

I'll have to look into what 7 Advanced has. Had the Tape/LA2A/etc sims come out in 7? The other thing that I liked was that comparitive analysis thingie where you drop a ref mix in and Ozone sets up a chain/preset for you to start with. That seems like it would be REALLY useful for a beginner such as meself.

Hope you been good, bud.
Mesh
Re: Izotope (8 Standard): Is it worth the $250? Does it do tagging/album comp shtuff? 2018/01/31 19:05:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2018/01/31 20:09:58
I'm not sure about the LA2A (not at my machine right now), but it does have a bunch of vintage plugins (including tape, compressors, limiters, EQ's etc...).

I'm a plug-n-play guy and I haven't messed with mastering (that's a whole art in itself).....I just use one of O7A's presets (it comes with a boatload of em) and it's super easy to get some really good results.    

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Beepster
Re: Izotope (8 Standard): Is it worth the $250? Does it do tagging/album comp shtuff? 2018/01/31 19:35:31 (permalink)
Mesh
I'm not sure about the LA2A (not at my machine right now), but it does have a bunch of vintage plugins (including tape, compressors, limiters, EQ's etc...).

I'm a plug-n-play guy and I haven't messed with mastering (that's a whole art in itself).....I just use one of O7A's presets (it comes with a boatload of em) and it's super easy to get some really good results.    

Ya those vintage plugs are the ones I'm talking about and now that I'm thinking on it I think the vid I watched a couple days ago mentioned they were introduced in 7 (so the LA2A is the vintage compressor).

Do you have standard or advanced?
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Izotope (8 Standard): Is it worth the $250? Does it do tagging/album comp shtuff? 2018/01/31 19:51:32 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2018/01/31 20:09:47
I bought O5 standard, skipped on 6 as the dynamic eq was the only thing that really interested me, but only came with 6 advanced and the price was ridiculous then. I got O7 advanced with the production bundle via the upgrade path for seriously silly no brainer money offer from Izotope just over a year ago. O7A is worth it for the standalone version on it's own, so if it is still possible to get O7A I would get that and then wait for the inevitable no brainer upgrade to O8A. O7A will keep you plenty busy until then.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm doing really. I just pick a preset and tweak from there.
Mesh
Re: Izotope (8 Standard): Is it worth the $250? Does it do tagging/album comp shtuff? 2018/01/31 20:01:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Beepster 2018/01/31 20:09:41
Beepster
Mesh

Ya those vintage plugs are the ones I'm talking about and now that I'm thinking on it I think the vid I watched a couple days ago mentioned they were introduced in 7 (so the LA2A is the vintage compressor).

Do you have standard or advanced?

I have the Advanced......this might show all the details of O7A: http://downloads.izotope.com/docs/izotope-ozone-7-help.pdf

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1