Helpful ReplyMIDI Files Location?

Author
JohnEgan
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 543
2018/02/01 12:41:22 (permalink)

MIDI Files Location?

Good Day, quick question 
Just wondering, my project audio files are stored in Audio folder, where are my MIDI project files stored? 
Cheers

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

bluzdog
Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1928
Re: MIDI Files Location? 2018/02/01 13:09:45 (permalink)
I was wondering the same thing yesterday. I ended up dragging them from the project to my desktop so I could get to work. I'm still curious though.

Rocky 
KPerry
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3120
Re: MIDI Files Location? 2018/02/01 13:47:48 (permalink)
They are embedded in the cwp file.

Windows 7 x64 SP1
SONAR x86/x64

Intel Q6600/8GB
MOTU UltraliteMk3 (USB/ASIO)
Edirol PCR300
JohnEgan
Re: MIDI Files Location? 2018/02/01 15:15:11 (permalink)
KPerry
They are embedded in the cwp file.

Ok thanks so if Sonar ever cant be activated I would probably lose all my midi recordings?

John Egan
Sonar Platinum (2017-10),RME-UFX, PC-CPU - i7-5820, 3.3 GHz, 6 core, ASUS X99-AII, 16GB ram, GTX 960, 500 GB SSD, 2TB HDD x 2, Win7 Pro x64,  O8N2 Advanced, Melodyne Studio,.... (2 cats :(,  in the yard).

JohnEgan
Re: MIDI Files Location? 2018/02/01 17:01:04 (permalink)
I guess also a good reason to bounce VI midi tracks to an audio track. 

John Egan

stratman70
Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3044
Re: MIDI Files Location? 2018/02/01 17:11:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cactus Music 2018/02/06 18:36:02
I always save a midi file copy of a project in the same project folder as my audio files. What I mean is I start my project with midi drums. I save that to my audio drive (second internal drive) in a folder named for the Project, like a song a i wrote called Every Bit of me.As a Midi 1 (multiple track) midi file. Then i save a copy as a CWP (normal which then creates the folder for my audio and a cwp copy of the midi file in my Every Bit of Me project folder. I do this so I always have a clean midi file of the project before I start adding soft synths, etc.
I am all about midi and soft synths except for all guitars and all vocals.

Guess it depends how you work.

wst3
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1979
Re: MIDI Files Location? 2018/02/01 17:36:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby abacab 2018/02/06 14:20:08
Even before the current nightmare I was always a little OCD about backing up my work.

In addition to the audio files that Sonar saves for me I would export all the MIDI tracks to the same folder.

I also rendered any VI tracks, and all effects to BWF audio files.

And I save all my presets to the project folder as well.

That last bit has caused me some agita - within the project I'm fine, but sometimes it takes some sleuthing to find a preset that I particularly liked. There is probably no perfect solution, but this works. For me<G>!

-- Bill
Audio Enterprise
KB3KJF
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: MIDI Files Location? 2018/02/01 19:06:37 (permalink)
I typically Drag and Drop my finished (sometimes even partial = verse, bridge, chorus) midi files to the browser for back up because if a Cakewalk project becomes corrupt, its all over. no way to recover them.

I also bounce down my midi tracks(or freeze them to audio for Drag and Drop) just in case because years from now, I my new DAW or system might not support those VST-I instruments or their sound library may not be loaded in my future system.

I posted a thread 2 years ago about how to back up and more importantly: Label tracks -
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Orginizing-Labeling-Audio-and-Midi-Tracks-m3448904.aspx

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: MIDI Files Location? 2018/02/01 20:06:56 (permalink)
D&D a MIDI clip from Sonar to desktop and back - slip edits cut, clip name not there, position unknown.
Almost the same for audio. Even more tricky with FX chains and presets.

Sonar was my first DAW and with all respect to it, as a programmer, I have many times asked myself the question: "Why??? Am I stupid?"
So looking for the next DAW I had that question in mind, with a hope and least one DAW developers also think that data preservation should not be complicated and overall what can be simple should be done simple. And yes! There is exactly one DAW which developers thoughts well correlate with my own

For data preservation: why not save projects into READABLE text file? Including MIDI, FX presets and everything else? Project corrupted - "copy/paste" tracks/clips in any text editor. The program abandoned - 50 lines script can retrieve MIDI clip from the project (and you do not need to be a programming genie to write it). And in case someone still want all MIDI in separate MIDI files, why not make an option in the DAW to allow that?
Can it be that easy? Yes!

But what to do in case MIDI clips, FX chains and presets, automations, etc. are in CWPs, collecting the dust inside HDD folders? I prefer "4 clicks solution". But it was not there... but I am a programmer! So it will be there
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Coming-soon-Sonar-to-Reaper-in-4-clicks-m3725610.aspx

I respect the right to make own decisions. If someone prefer to get out of one hole just to immediately fall into the other, I respect even that. This almost "ad" like post serve only once purpose, show alternatives.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
KPerry
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3120
Re: MIDI Files Location? 2018/02/01 21:18:21 (permalink)
Reaper does it like that I believe: XML(?) files that can be edited to change data reliably.

Windows 7 x64 SP1
SONAR x86/x64

Intel Q6600/8GB
MOTU UltraliteMk3 (USB/ASIO)
Edirol PCR300
JohnEgan
Re: MIDI Files Location? 2018/02/01 22:54:56 (permalink)
stratman70
I am all about midi and soft synths except for all guitars and all vocals.

Thanks for info, I guess I have a lot of "back tracking" to do, LOL
Im pretty much same, i.e., midi and soft synths except for all guitars and all vocals.
Typically I dont need to access the audio folder but good to know audio is saved there in some form to recover if needed, I guess I just figured midi files were also somehow saved independently from project somewhere as well. (I guess thats what happens when you "assume", LOL). Since Im only in it for myself as a retirement hobby and not a career Im not big on documenting all the details, but would like to preserve recordings as best as possible. 
azslow3
So looking for the next DAW I had that question in mind, with a hope and least one DAW developers also think that data preservation should not be complicated and overall what can be simple should be done simple.  
For data preservation: why not save projects into READABLE text file? Including MIDI, FX presets and everything else? And in case someone still want all MIDI in separate MIDI files, why not make an option in the DAW to allow that?
Can it be that easy? Yes!

Thanks, I guess thats something like what I assumed was being done, I guess sadly there's not much collaboration between DAW providers, for the collective good of all music producers.

Thankfully there's people like AZSlow, Cheers.

(Ive also found Reaper to likely be my alternate DAW, particularly if I can use a utility like this)

Thanks all

John Egan

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: MIDI Files Location? 2018/02/02 00:04:09 (permalink)
Well Reaper is relatively inexpensive, and since there is the azslow tool in the works, there is no longer a reason to feel that your creative works are trapped inside of a CWP file!!! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
werewindle
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 214
Re: MIDI Files Location? 2018/02/06 12:31:36 (permalink)
Beware SPLAT does NOT always save audio files when you amend them either.
I am in the process of migrating to Studio One and for some reason could not find the vocal chorus audio. So no problem I thought I'll just cut a bit of the front as it was silence thinking I'd get a new .wav file when I saved project but to my horror nothing was updated in the project folders apart from the .cwp file.
Now I'm wondering if all my latest audio files are in fact a current reflection of the status quo?

Sonar: Platinum & Studio One 3
Production PC: Intel i7-6950x 10 cores (20 processors) CPU @ 3.00GHz (with overclock to 3.60GHz), RAM 64GB, Windows 10 - 64 bit, Sound Blaster ZxR Pro, Dual Nvidia GTX1080 with 2 widescreen Monitors
MIDI: Akai Advance 49, Roland A-500Pro, Akai MPD230, Softube Console 1, Akai EWI USB, Roli Seaboard 25
Instruments: Martin D12X1AE Dreadnought - 12 string, Martin Ed Sheeran X Signature Edition, Fender Standard Precision-Bass Black MN, Gibson Custom Shop EDS-1275 Cherry (12 & 6 string dual)
azslow3
Re: MIDI Files Location? 2018/02/06 13:03:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby werewindle 2018/02/07 13:42:15
Right click on the clip, and select "Associated Audio File..." (last option). You will see from there the sound comes.

But you can use "Utilities/Consolidate Project audio..." to collect all WAVs in one place.
For new projects in Sonar (if you plan some), check "Preferences/File/Audio data" section.

Studio One is not bad, progressing and has deep hardware integration which works out of the box. But since you come from Sonar. Presonus history shows no willing for any kind of "openness": they have not even publish the protocol of old one strip Faderport, early attempts with Studio One API are frozen, older audio interface shows over a day decisions to abandon features, the latest audio interface shows not forced locking to own eco-system.
I hope you will never be forced to transport something out of Studio One.

Reaper is opposite: API is always up to date, project files are in readable TEXT form. Transferring projects there (latest tests show that Sonar 7 - Platinum files can be transfered) is going to take "4 clicks".  And in disaster case (we all know that can happened with anything), transferring projects out of it is also probably going to take "4 clicks".

RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
JohnEgan
Re: MIDI Files Location? 2018/02/06 14:29:49 (permalink)
azslow3
Presonus history shows no willing for any kind of "openness": they have not even publish the protocol of old one strip Faderport, early attempts with Studio One API are frozen, older audio interface shows over a day decisions to abandon features, the latest audio interface shows not forced locking to own eco-system.

A misguided corporate greed proprietary thing? I think all DAW suppliers would benefit more by allowing more open transferring between them, I imagine the corporate giants are more compelled to prevent this than to open things up. Creativity is stifled when forced to conform and assimilated into one way of thinking and communicating, technology while providing more opportunities to the average person to document/record and convey our messages, is also in many ways is leading us to this end.
Thankfully the music itself is still open to our own interpretations (until we're all assimilated Borgs, LOL).
Cheers   

John Egan

azslow3
Re: MIDI Files Location? 2018/02/06 16:05:22 (permalink)
Most DAWs are concurrents. I have observed only several more or sell distinct DAWs: Ableton, Tracktion , (m.b. FL). All other are "fighting" on the same field. And any of them want preserve its own share of (as Craig has written many times) not so huge user base.

Different DAWs have different imagination how open they should be. IMHO ordered list:
1) Reaper. DAW generate C++ header file for its API. Basis libraries are open source. Developed by pro programmers, with very specific finance approach (no marketing, almost no design, no army of useless for the goal managers on S-Class). I guess other have a very good reason to "fear the Reaper"...
2) Ableton, Bitwig, (ex)Sonar. Relatively open, with API. Ableton Push 2 has complete documentation (not many modern hardware devices have that, but I should admit Novation publish documentation these days. May be Focusrite influence since they was not open before).
3) Cubase. They have made VST. And just for that they should not be at the end of the list.
4) ProTools. In general close, but since they are the "standard", many things are at least partially open (EuCON, HUI, there are converters for pt files).
5) Studio One... Have they made anything "open"? The investment into design and marketing is big. Probably they have learned how to proceed from Apple: make own eco-system, make everything simple, convince users that everything is exactly what users have asked for. "You do not need 32bit plug-ins". "You do not need hardware mixer in your audio interface". But read how well they write about that features (more precisely the luck of them...). You want to believe immediately  

abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: MIDI Files Location? 2018/02/06 18:19:24 (permalink)
azslow3

5) Studio One... Have they made anything "open"? The investment into design and marketing is big. Probably they have learned how to proceed from Apple: make own eco-system, make everything simple, convince users that everything is exactly what users have asked for. "You do not need 32bit plug-ins". "You do not need hardware mixer in your audio interface". But read how well they write about that features (more precisely the luck of them...). You want to believe immediately  

Well, one redeeming feature about Studio One is that the software team is based in Germany. 

Some of the programmers even came ever from Cubase, so hopefully they are not done yet!

Obviously that will npt change how the parent company views the openness of their products.  One can only hope that market forces will convince them to 'join the team'.

Come to think of it, there are/were quite number of notable music software programmers based in Germany, besides Cubase and PreSonus.  You have Ableton, Access Music (Virus), AIR Music Tech (started as Wizoo Sound Design), Bitwig,  eMagic (the original developer of Logic, acquired by Apple),  Magix (Samplitude, etc.),  Native Instruments, SoundCloud,  u-he (Urs Heckmann), Wolfram Franke (Tracktion Biotek designer, ex-Waldorf Music), plus the inventors of MP3... other various plugin devs... etc.   Good crowd to be in! 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
werewindle
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 214
Re: MIDI Files Location? 2018/02/07 13:41:47 (permalink)
azslow3
Right click on the clip, and select "Associated Audio File..." (last option). You will see from there the sound comes.

But you can use "Utilities/Consolidate Project audio..." to collect all WAVs in one place.
For new projects in Sonar (if you plan some), check "Preferences/File/Audio data" section.

Studio One is not bad, progressing and has deep hardware integration which works out of the box. But since you come from Sonar. Presonus history shows no willing for any kind of "openness": they have not even publish the protocol of old one strip Faderport, early attempts with Studio One API are frozen, older audio interface shows over a day decisions to abandon features, the latest audio interface shows not forced locking to own eco-system.

Reaper is opposite: API is always up to date, project files are in readable TEXT form. Transferring projects there (latest tests show that Sonar 7 - Platinum files can be transfered) is going to take "4 clicks".  And in disaster case (we all know that can happened with anything), transferring projects out of it is also probably going to take "4 clicks".

Thanks for the tip unfortunately 2 separate vocal tracks are pointing at same file. Well as you say hopefully Studio One will not go bust as well and see what version 4 brings later this year.

Sonar: Platinum & Studio One 3
Production PC: Intel i7-6950x 10 cores (20 processors) CPU @ 3.00GHz (with overclock to 3.60GHz), RAM 64GB, Windows 10 - 64 bit, Sound Blaster ZxR Pro, Dual Nvidia GTX1080 with 2 widescreen Monitors
MIDI: Akai Advance 49, Roland A-500Pro, Akai MPD230, Softube Console 1, Akai EWI USB, Roli Seaboard 25
Instruments: Martin D12X1AE Dreadnought - 12 string, Martin Ed Sheeran X Signature Edition, Fender Standard Precision-Bass Black MN, Gibson Custom Shop EDS-1275 Cherry (12 & 6 string dual)
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1